Dr. William Smith is a Dentist practicing in Sedona, Arizona. Patients are referred to Dr. Smith to diagnosis and treat sleep disorders and disorders of the jaw joints (temporomandibular joints).Common symptoms patients present are: Migraines, Headaches, Difficult to go to sleep, Difficult to stay asleep, Snoring, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, GERD (Heart Burn), Clicking/popping jaw joints, Painful chewing, Neck pain/tension, Fibromyalgia, Movement disorder, Fatigue, Depression, Anxiety.Dr. Smith accepts all ages of patients with any of the above symptoms.Dr. Smith enjoys working with patients with any of the above symptoms, who also have Autism, Parkinson's, Early dementia.
Education and Training
University of Missouri at Kansas City, School of Dentistry D.D.S. 1965
Dr. William P. Smith D.D.S.'s Expert Contributions
Teeth are different than many other tissues in the body. It is unable to heal when it has an infection (cavity). The blood supply to the tooth enters through a microscopic size hole in the end of the root. When the nerve of the tooth is inflamed, it swells and cuts off the blood supply. The nerve then dies and causes all sorts of problems. In other words, get to a dentist as soon as you can. READ MORE
A short straight answer is that it is possible. A more complete answer is that it is not probable. There are more factors involved than family history. Do you chew tobacco? If not, you have a decreased risk. 360 degree cleaning around every tooth at least once a day is the best prevention. Passing floss between teeth and cleaning with an up and down motion of the floss is of the upmost importance. Think of rubbing each tooth with the floss like rubbing a dish with a wash cloth. Of course, you will clean the outside of each tooth with a toothbrush as well. You can find much more about tooth cleaning techniques in my book: GROWING A HEALTHY CHILD, SECRETS FROM A WISE OLD DOC While regular professional visits and “cleanings” are very important for a total prevention program, a daily 360 degree cleaning is the most important. READ MORE
You state your dentures make your gums red and swollen by the end of the day. I assume in the morning your gums are okay. I assume your gums are red and swollen in general, not in just one place. The most common reason for general redness and swelling is clenching or grinding the teeth. This excessive pressure on the gums produces this problem. The ideal mouth posture is lips together and teeth apart. The only time your teeth should touch is when you are swallowing for a second or two, and when you are chewing food. I hope this helps with your problem. READ MORE
A cavity is nothing more than an infection of the tooth. Normally, the dentist can remove the infected part of the tooth and fill in the resulting void. When the infection extends all the way into the root canal area, the infection must be cleaned from the root canal to prevent the infection from spreading into the tissues beyond the tooth. READ MORE
Plaque is soft and easy to remove. Whatever instrument is used to remove the plaque must contact it. It must then rub against it to loosen it. Just passing floss between the teeth is not enough. The floss must be rubbed up and down on the side of each tooth like rubbing a dish cloth on a plate. The toothbrush must contact the plaque to remove it. Oftentimes some plaque is missed and not removed. It is also possible you have a frequent source of sugar. This can cause rapid growth of plaque. One frequent source of sugar is sipping on a sugar containing drink over a long time. This subject is very well explained in the book GROWING A HEALTHY CHILD, SECRETS FROM A WISE OLD DOC. READ MORE
A dental bridge is used to replace one or more missing teeth. One reason to replace missing teeth would be for appearance reasons.In this case you would need the bridge as long as the appearance of the missing teeth is a concern to you. Another reason to replace missing teeth is for chewing food. You would need the bridge as long as this in a concern. A third reason would be to prevent movement of teeth near the missing teeth, or the teeth biting against the missing teeth.These teeth can move and cause problems which can lead to loss to one or more of these other teeth.You will need your dental bridge as long as you want to preserve these other teeth. READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Diplomate Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorders Disciplines
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Charter Member American Association of Functional Orthodontics
- American Dental Association
- Arizona Dental Association
- La Co-Usc Med Ctr
Professional Society Memberships
- Arizona Dental Association, American Dental Association, Oklahoma Dental Associations, Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorders Disciplines, Arizona Sleep Society, American Academy of Craniofacial Pain and the International Association for Orthodontics
Articles and Publications
- Published a book 'Growing a Healthy Child-Secretes from a Wise Old Doc'. Past editor for the American Dental Association. Is currently working on a research article.
What do you attribute your success to?
- His spirituality. Dentistry is his calling and his passion.
- Worked for the US Public Health Service for 2 years taking care of military personnel.
Hobbies / Sports
- Home Repairs and Maintenance, Family Time, Licensed Pilot, Enjoys Flying, Anything Outdoors: Water Skiing, Boating, Snow Skiing, Hiking
- Behavioral Health
- CIGNA Dental PPO
- Choice Fund Open Access Plus
- Choice Fund Open Access Plus with CareLink
- Choice Fund PPO
- FL Health Savings
- FL Open Access
- FL Open Access Value
- HMO - Northern California
- HMO - Northern California Open Access
- HMO - Southern California
- HMO - Southern California Open Access
- HMO Open Access
- Health Savings
- Medicare Access
- Medicare Select (HMO)
- Network - Northern California
- Network - Northern California Open Access
- Network - Southern California
- Network - Southern California Open Access
- Network Open Access
- Network POS
- Open Access Plan
- Open Access Plus ONLY
- Open Access Plus/CareLink
- POS - Northern California
- POS - Northern California Open Access
- POS - Southern California
- POS - Southern California Open Access
- POS Open Access
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Vision PPO
- Workers' Compensation
- United Concordia
Dr. William P. Smith D.D.S.'s Practice location
COLUMBIA, SC 29206 Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. William P. Smith D.D.S. | Dentist | General Practice
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. William P. Smith D.D.S.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Smith
- Sleep Apnea CPAP Machine: Gel, Cleaner, and Price
Sleep apnea is a sleep breathing disorder. It is characterized by repetitive pauses in breathing, which may occur several times per hour and may last for 10 seconds. It is usually a chronic condition. It results in poor sleep quality and excessive sleepiness in daytime. The most common type is...
- Taking Plavix and Root Canal Treatment
Generic Name: ClopidogrelBrand Name: PlavixWhat is Plavix?Plavix is a drug that prevents the platelets in the blood from sticking together, thereby avoiding the formation of blood clots. There can be unwanted cases of blood clots, which can occur in cases of heart diseases or blood vessel...
- What Is a Cavity?
A cavity is a result of tooth decay, which is a damage that occurs due to poor oral health and dental plaque on the tooth’s surface. Cavities usually start really small and when they are left untreated, they gradually become bigger. Anyone who has teeth, including babies, can develop cavities. For...
- Is It Safe to Go to the Dentist While Pregnant?
Pregnancy is the most precious time for any woman, as well as for her partner. However, being pregnant makes the future mother worry about her health and the subsequent health of her child. Therefore, when a need arises to go to a dentist, many pregnant women are not sure what to do. However, many...
- How to Prepare for Your Dental Appointment
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), people should visit their dentist or dental hygienist every six months to maintain optimal oral health. Dental problems should never be ignored since they can become serious and contribute to other medical conditions, such as heart disease,...
- What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an age-old Ayurvedic remedy that is getting a lot of attention these days as more and more people become health conscious. This Ayurvedic remedy is known as a detoxification procedure that keeps your teeth and mouth healthy. Although there are not that many formal scientific studies...
- Dr. Earl Lord D.D.S. 350 S Willard St Cottonwood AZ 86326
- Dr. Roy Gwenn Daniels DDS 130 Navajo Dr Sedona AZ 86336
- David Herald DDS 199 S Candy Ln Cottonwood AZ 86326
- Dr. Steven Vergara D.D.S. 350 S Willard St Cottonwood AZ 86326
- Dr. Thomas Lowell Fernandes DDS 1120 W State Route 89a Sedona AZ 86336
- Dr. Randy Reasch DDS 1185 N Arizona Blvd Coolidge AZ 85228