Dr. Steven Cahalan is a general surgeon practicing in Des Moines, IA. Dr. Cahalan specializes in abdominal contents including the esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and often thyroid glands. General surgeons are able to deal with almost any surgical or critical care emergency, also involving the skin or soft tissue trauma. Dr. Cahalan provides quality surgical service for gravely ill or injured patients and is able to respond quickly due to knowledge of various surgical procedures.
Education and Training
University of Iowa Medical School MD
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS
Dr. Steven A Cahalan MD's Practice location
Des Moines, IA 50314Get Direction
DES MOINES, IA 50316Get Direction
Dr. Steven A Cahalan MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Cahalan
- Everything You Need to Know About Biopsy Procedures
What is a biopsy?A biopsy is a medical procedure, which is mostly used in diagnosing cancer. In this procedure, a small tissue sample is taken from your body for a closer examination under the microscope. A biopsy is usually recommended by your doctor if initial tests in your body suggest an...
- What Are the Risks of Hydrocelectomy
Hydrocelectomy, also called hydrocele repair, is a surgical procedure that aims to remove or repair a hydrocele, a sac of fluid that forms around a testicle, causing swelling and pain.Hydrocelectomy is like all other surgeries—risky, and one may get hurt during the procedure, react to the...
- What Is An Anal Fissurectomy?
An anal fissurectomy is a surgery that may be used for curing anal fissures. The procedure involves an incision in the sphincter muscles which control one's anal opening. It is normally the recommended surgery for treating tears or cracks that develop inside the distal canal (passageway) where waste...
- What are the Treatment Options for Hernia
Hernia occurs when an organ protrudes through an opening or a tissue that keeps it in place. There are several types of hernia including inguinal, incisional, hiatal, and more. While some hernias have visible symptoms such as a lump or acidity in stomach, others are asymptotic. The latter type of...
- What are the Surgeries Used in Treating Gallstones?
Right below the liver is a small sac known as the gallbladder. Its function is to hold bile until it is required. The bile helps in the digestion/breakdown of fats. When fats are noticed by the gallbladder, it pushes the bile concentrate towards the small intestine through contractions.Bile pigment,...
- Where Exactly Does the Pain Occur During Appendicitis?
Appendicitis is the inflammation of the appendix, a disease that is mostly known as the rupture of the appendix. The human appendix is considered to be a vestigial structure. Vestigial means lacking meaningful work, or the evolving of a part of the body to take on a new shape, or an organ that has...
- Dr. Qasim Latif Chaudhry MB BCHIowa Methodist medical center Des Moines IA 50309
- Dr. Michael P Mohan M.D.5950 University Ave West Des Moines IA 50266
- Dr. Benjamin P Schlicher MD1415 Woodland Ave Des Moines IA 50309
- Dr. Jason Kimball Shellnut M.D.1415 Woodland Ave Des Moines IA 50309
- Dr. Natisha Nicole Jensen MD1111 6th Ave Des Moines IA 50314
- Dr. Mollie Marie James D.O.1111 6th Ave Des Moines IA 50314