Dr. Derek R Thomas M.D.
Cardiologist | Cardiovascular Disease213 W Hampton Ave Sumter SC, 29150
Dr. Derek Thomas is a cardiologist practicing in Sumter, SC. Dr. Thomas specializes in diagnosing, monitoring, and treating diseases or conditions of the heart and blood vessels and the cardiovascular system. These conditions include heart attacks, heart murmurs, coronary heart disease, and hypertension. Dr. Thomas also practices preventative medicine, helping patients maintain a heart-healthy life.
Education and Training
Howard Univ Coll of Med, Washington Dc 1991
Howard University College of Medicine 1991
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal MedicineABIM- Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Univ Hosp-Suny Stony Brook, Cardiovascular Diseases; Howard Univ Hosp, Internal Medicine
- University Hospital - SUNY at Stony Brook Program
Dr. Derek R Thomas M.D.'s Practice location
Sumter, SC 29150Get Direction
Dr. Derek R Thomas M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Thomas
- Lisinopril: What Are the Side Effects and Dosages of Lisinopril?
The standard dose of this medication for adults with high blood pressure is 10 mg taken by mouth once a day.The doctor may increase the dose up to a maximum of 80 mg per day depending on the requirement. For heart failures, the starting dose for adults is 5 mg per day and the dosage can be increased...
- Sons Can Inherit Heart Disease from Their Fathers
A recent study has shown that some of the genes present in the Y chromosome increases the chances of heart disease by as much as 50%. Men inherit a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases directly from their fathers. This adds to the increasing evidence as to why men are more susceptible to heart...
- What Should I Know About Blood Clots?
Blood flows continuously through blood vessels and supplies nutrients and oxygen to different parts of the body. At the site of an injury, a blood clot prevents excess bleeding. Under normal conditions, blood clots are lifesaving. When the clot is formed as a part of normal repair process in the...
- What is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus?
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects several systems of our body. SLE is also known as discoid lupus or disseminated lupus erythematosus. How common is SLE? Out of all the types of lupus, SLE is the most common form. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is a very common...
- What Causes Secondary Hypertension?
Secondary hypertension refers to high blood pressure that is caused by other diseases. This is a less common form of hypertension when compared to ‘essential’ or ‘primary’ hypertension. A number of conditions that affect heart, kidneys or endocrine system may result in secondary...
- What is Left-Sided Congestive Heart Failure?
What Is Left-Sided Congestive Heart Failure?Heart failure means your heart is not able to work as well as it once did.Left-sided congestive failure is a critical condition in which the left side of the heart doesn’t pump blood efficiently. It is unable to meet the body’s metabolic needs,...
- Dr. Dennis J. Lang DO207 Chartwell Ct Myrtle Beach SC 29588
- Dr. John D Rozich MD1400 Bellinger St Eau Claire WI 54703
- Dr. William Burton Epps jr. MD115 N Sumter St Sumter SC 29150
- Dr. Jimmie Dale Cannon MD115 N Sumter St Sumter SC 29150
- Dr. Ryan C Garbalosa DO1001 Washington Blvd Robbinsville NJ 08691
- Dr. William S Stavrou MD540 Physicians Lane Sumter SC 29150