Dr. Ralph L. Corsetti, MD, FACS
Surgical Oncologist | Surgical Oncology110 Lakeview Cir Suite 200 Covington LA, 70433
Dr. Corsetti earned his medical degree from the Boston University School of Medicine in 1991. Following graduation, he completed his General Surgery internship and residency at the Tulane University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, LA in 1996. Subsequently, he completed an SSO approved two-year fellowship in Surgical Oncology at Brown University in Providence, RI in 1998. He has been actively board certified by the American Board of surgery since 1997.
He has been in clinical surgical oncology practice in southeast Louisiana for greater than 20 years. Current areas of interest in surgical oncology include breast, endocrine, and melanoma surgery.
Education and Training
Boston University BA 1987
Boston Univ. School of Med. MD 1991
Tulane University Medical Ctr. Residency 1996
Brown University School of Med Fellowship 1998
American Board of Surgery
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS- 1997
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Pneumoperitoneum from gas gangrene of the pancreas: three unusual findings in a single case.
- Newly diagnosed breast cancer patients choose bilateral mastectomy over breast-conserving surgery when testing positive for a BRCA1/2 mutation.
- Omental torsion mimicking acute appendicitis: a case report.
- Rosai-Dorfman disease of the breast and parotid gland.
- Management of penetrating thoracoabdominal stingray trauma.
- A Case of Malignant Pheochromocytoma Presenting 7 Years After the Initial Surgery.
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Professor of Surgery Tulane University SOM, Dept. of Surgery 2021 - Present
- Edward G. Schlieder Educational Foundation Chair in Surgical Oncology Tulane University SOM, Dept. of Surgery 2021 - Present
- Vice Chair of Clinical Experience Tulane University SOM, Northshore Campus, Dept. of Surgery 2021 - Present
- Medical Director, Tulane Doctors Breast Health Tulane University SOM, Northshore Campus, Dept. of Surgery 2021 - Present
- Elmo J. Cerise Best All Around Resident 1996 Tulane University School of Medicine
- American Cancer Society Spirit/Service Award 2004 American Cancer Society
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award 2004 Tulane University School of Medicine
- Teacher of the Year, Spirit of Leadership Award 2010 Ochsner Health
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty, Teacher of the Year 2009 Department of Surgery
- Physician of the Quarter 2014 Ochsner Health
- Owl Club Outstanding Faculty Award in Surgery 2008 Tulane University School of Medicine
- Oncology Research Excellence award, 3rd Quarter 2017 Ochsner Health
- Skin Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Vascular Disease
- Extra Corporeal Shockwave Therapy
- American College of Surgeons - Fellow
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons, Louisiana Chapter
- Tulane Surgical Society
- The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University surgical oncology 1996
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- You Night Events, Board Member
- Karen T. Stall Research and Breast Institute
- Cancer Advocacy Group of Louisiana (CAGLA), Scientific Advisory Board Member
- Tulane Surgical Society, Board member
- Brown University School of Medicine
Professional Society Memberships
- Society of Surgical Oncology, American Society of Breast Surgeons
Areas of research
Breast, Endocrine, Melanoma, and Surgical Education Research
Dr. Ralph L. Corsetti, MD, FACS's Practice location
Covington, LA 70433Get Direction
Get to know Surgical Oncologist Dr. Ralph L. Corsetti, who serves patients in Covington, Louisiana.
Recognized as a skilled surgical oncologist, Dr. Corsetti practices at Northshore Breast Center in Covington, Louisiana. He has over 20 years of clinical experience in general surgery/surgical oncology with a focused interest in breast, endocrine (thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal glands), and melanoma surgery.
Having been a member of both private and group academic clinical practices, he has had an extensive regional clinical presence in breast, endocrine, and melanoma surgery with expertise in the surgical management of breast cancer as well as benign breast disease and the high-risk breast patient. His practice also has a focus on endocrine and melanoma surgery, including surgical mastery of nipple sparing and traditional skin sparing mastectomy (with immediate reconstruction if desired or recommended), or breast conservation surgery (lumpectomy) with seed and reflector localization, oncoplastic breast tissue sparing and rearrangement, advanced sentinel lymph node biopsy and targeted axillary dissection, as well as minimally invasive and laparoscopic surgeries.
To optimize outcomes and satisfaction throughout the entire treatment process, Dr. Corsetti’s philosophy strongly believes in patient education and direct patient involvement in the clinical decision making process. There are often numerous options available for successful management of disease, and these are thoroughly presented and discussed with the patient and/or family before treatment decisions are made.
In addition to seeing patients at Northshore Breast Center, he is a Professor of Surgery at the Tulane University School of Medicine within the Department of Surgery. He also has a clinical practice in surgical oncology including breast, endocrine, and melanoma surgery at Tulane’s Northshore campus based at Lakeview Regional Medical Center in Covington.
With a broad educational background, Dr. Corsetti received his Bachelor of Arts degree, graduating Magna Cum Laude, from Boston University in 1987. He then went on to earn his medical degree from the Boston University School of Medicine in 1991.
Following graduation, he first moved to New Orleans in 1991 for his residency in general surgery at Tulane University School of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals program, which included Charity Hospital. He completed the five year general surgery residency program in 1996. He then successfully completed a two-year Society of Surgical Oncology approved clinical and research fellowship in surgical oncology at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University and affiliated hospitals in Providence, Rhode Island from 1996 to 1998.
In 1997, he attained board certification in general surgery and surgical critical care through the American Board of Surgery (ABS). The ABS is an independent, non-profit organization located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded for the purpose of certifying surgeons who have met a defined standard of education, training, and knowledge.
A Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Dr. Corsetti is a member of the Society of Surgical Oncology and the American Society of Breast Surgeons.
Surgical oncology is the branch of surgery applied to oncology. It focuses on the surgical management of tumors, especially cancerous tumors. A surgical oncologist removes the tumor and nearby tissue during surgery. He or she also performs certain types of biopsies to help diagnose cancer.
Throughout his fruitful career, Dr. Corsetti has authored over 30 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. He has received numerous clinical, teaching, and educational awards. Due to his dedication to patient care, education, and research, he has been awarded the Edward G. Schlieder Educational Foundation Chair in Surgical Oncology at Tulane University School of Medicine.
His awards have included the Tulane Surgery Elmo J. Cerise Best Resident Award, the Leonard H. Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, the American Cancer Society Spirit/Service Award, Tulane University School of Medicine Owl Club Awards, Department of Surgery Outstanding Clinical Faculty Teacher of the Year Awards, Physician of the Month/Quarter Awards, System Wide Teacher of the Year Spirit of Leadership Award, Oncology Research Excellence Award, University of Queensland, Australia Clinical Teaching Award, as well as being recognized as a Top/Best Doctor in New Orleans, Louisiana, and America.
- What Is Recovery Like for Radiation Therapy?
After undergoing radiation therapy, the patient will be instructed on what to do, the appointments to keep, and everything they will need to know to make a full and safe recovery. Recovery usually depends on a lot of factors, but the following are some of the important ones:...
- What is Blood Pressure, and How Is Blood Pressure Lowered?
Modern day lifestyle does come with the risk of certain disease that is a result of everyday stress, poor eating habits, lack of exercise, and so on. While we are all aware of these diseases, we fail to take timely steps to prevent them from happening to us, and, by the time these strike, it is...
- Allergies: Symptoms, Causes and Risk Factors
What are Allergies?An allergy is basically a disorder of the immune system response that leads to certain symptoms, such as coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, and a runny nose. When the immune system reacts to a foreign substance, such as dust mites, pollen, pet dander, bee venom, or any kind of food,...
- “Cancer Anger” - An Explanation
Following a cancer diagnosis, it is normal to be overwhelmed with a lot of different emotions. Some individuals may feel shocked and frightened, while others may feel sad, guilty, or upset. There is no right way to feel. ...
- What Are the Treatment Options for Appendicitis?
Appendix FactsThe appendix is also known as acecal appendix and sometimes the vermiform appendix. It is small in size with a finger-shaped pouch attached to the large intestines right at the bottom side of the belly.The lower tip of the appendiz is found 2cm below the ileocecal valve, which...
- Aricept for Alzheimer's Disease: Side Effects and Usage
Generic Name: DonepezilBrand Names: Aricept, Aricept ODTWhat is Aricept?Aricept (donepezil) is a medication used for the treatment of mild to moderate dementia due to Alzheimer's disease. This medication improves nerve function in the brain and works by preventing the breakdown of acetylcholine,...