Dr. Dr. Norman H. Rasmussen, EdD, LP, ABPP
Psychologist | Clinical200 1st St SW Rochester MN, 55905
Dr. Norm Rasmussen is a counseling psychologist in the practice of psychology in Rochester, MN, after a 32 year career at Mayo Clinic as a Consultant and Staff Psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Division of Integrated Behavioral Health, and Mayo Emeriti Staff. During his tenure at Mayo Clinic, Dr. Rasmussen was promoted to Associate Professor of Psychology and Associate Professor of Family Medicine in the Mayo College of Medicine. He has published over 60 peer-reviewed papers, book chapters, abstracts, and non-peer-reviewed articles. Dr. Rasmussen specializes in the counseling and psychotherapy of behavioral and mental health conditions, with particular expertise in depression, anxiety, trauma and stress, marital and family conflict, and personality related relationship issues. He is licensed to practice psychology by the Minnesota Board of Psychology and boarded on the national level by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP). Dr. Rasmussen has been presented with the following honors: Distinguished Clinician Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology; Mayo Clinic Excellence in Teaching Recognition; Elinor A. Crawford & William R. Thrall Hall of Excellence Award for Serving Health and Psychology with Great Distinction - State College of Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa; Family Medicine Silver Research Award - Department of Family Medicine, Mayo Clinic;Rochester Principal's Award in Recognition of Support and Service to Children - Rochester Principal's Association, Rochester Public Schools, Rochester, MN; Human Relations Outstanding Achievement Award - Rochester Education Association, Rochester Public Schools, Rochester, MN.
Relations Outstanding Achievement Award - Rochester Public Schools, Rochester Education Association, Rochester, MN
For Serving Health and Psychology with Great Distinction
Honors and awards
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Diagnosing and treating ADHD in children.
- [Parents of children with febrile convulsions. Multidisciplinary quality development of information and documentation].
- Impact of off-pump coronary artery surgery on myocardial performance and beta-adrenoceptor function.
- 21st-century health care: the effect of computer use by physicians on patient
- Subtotal pancreatectomy for hypoglycemia due to congenital hyperinsulinism: long-term follow-up of neurodevelopmental and pancreatic function.
- [Screening of preschool children. A multidisciplinary assessment of the development and rehabilitation needs].
- Family history of mental illness and frequent mental distress in community clinic patients.
- Health behavior counseling in primary care: provider-reported rate and confidence.
- Marital status, feeling depressed and self-rated health in rural female primary care patients.
- The validity of vigilance tasks in differential diagnosis of children referred for attention and learning problems.
- Personality disorders: review and clinical application in daily practice.
- PHQ-9 Response Curve: Rate of Improvement for Depression Treatment With Collaborative Care Management.
- Effects of concurrent low back conditions on depression outcomes.
- Depression remission decreases outpatient utilization at 6 and 12 months after enrollment into collaborative care management.
- Reliable blood pressure self-measurement in the obstetric waiting room.
- Lewis and Clark Behavioral Health Services (Clinical Psychology)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of School Psychology, American Psychological Association, Collaborative Family Healthcare Association
Articles and Publications
- Rasmussen NH. A learning disabilities assessment program in a medical clinic. Minnesota Psychologist. 1984; 3:1.
- Colligan RC, Ferdinande RJ, Rasmussen NH. Anorexia nervosa: academic-behavioral management and mainstream dismissal planning for hospitalized adolescents. Residential Group Care and Treatment. 1984; 2
- Messer MM, Rasmussen NH. Southeast Asian children in America: the impact of change. Pediatrics. 1986; 78:323-9. PMID:3526269.
- Rasmussen NH, Avant RF. Somatization disorder in the family practice clinic: behavioral management and the prevention of somatic fixation. American Family Physician. 1989; 4:206-14.
What do you attribute your success to?
- His education and his mentors.
Areas of research
- Somatoform Disorders and Personality Disorders.
Dr. Dr. Norman H. Rasmussen, EdD, LP, ABPP's Practice location
Rochester, MN 55905Get Direction
Rochester, MN 55906Get Direction
ROCHESTER, MN 55901Get Direction
- What Causes Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a serious disorder which affects how a person thinks, acts and feels. It is best described as a mental disorder which is characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to understand what is real....
- “Did You Say Mama?” Five-Year-Old with Nonverbal Autism Surprises Parents
Around 30% of individuals on the autism spectrum use only a few words or do not speak at all. These individuals are described as having nonverbal autism and 5-year-old Taylor Blakenship from Athens, Alabama is one of them. ...
- Music Can Prevent Chronic Stress
Stress is inevitable in life; however, it is less manageable if an individual experiences chronic stress on a daily basis for an extended period of time. Stress triggers a series of reactions that initiate the stress response in cells throughout an individual's body. Commonly, if stress persists for...
- The Types of Procrastinators – Which Type Are You?
Are you the rare one? The one who does not put things off to the last minute? The one who does not procrastinate? I guess not! You would not be reading this if you are that rare person. It is very likely that you procrastinate just like me. Don’t we all do it?...
- What are the Causes and Symptoms of Bulimia?
Bulimia is an eating disorder that causes an individual to consume large amounts of food within a small period of time. After the binge is over, the individual purges to get rid of the unhealthy amount of food he or she consumed. Some methods that an individual may opt for to compensate for the...
- Dr. Gena R. Ghearing M.D.200 1st St SW Rochester MN 55905
- Lindsey Lilly2477 Clare Ln NE Rochester MN 55906
- Dr. Mary Beer Other210 9th St Se Rochester MN 55904
- Dr. Barbara K Bruce PHD200 1st St SW Rochester MN 55905
- Brennan J. Young PH.D.200 1st St SW Rochester MN 55905
- Dr. Kevin J Weber Other210 9th St Se Rochester MN 55904