Dr. Susan J. Mendelsohn, PsyD.
Psychologist | Clinical1919 NE 45th Street Suite 218 Fort Lauderdale FL, 33308
Education and Training
Albizu University MS Psychology 1994
NY Institute of Technology M.P.S. (Master Prof Studies) 1992
Univ of Miami (Coral Gables) BSED ( Education) 1985
Albizu University (Miami) Psy.D. Doctor of Clinical Psy 1999
Dr. Susan J. Mendelsohn, PsyD.'s Expert Contributions
Psychotherapy helps with both anxiety and depression. The most effective therapy technique is CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). READ MORE
There is essentially no "cure" for anxiety; however, when you learn the skills/tools to manage it, you can live your life without the worry of the anxiety paralyzing you. You may want to get a consultation with a psychologist to help you learn to manage your anxiety more effectively, READ MORE
Yes, addiction treatment does not necessarily require medication. You can learn the skills to recover from a clinical psychologist. The most effective treatment would be cognitive behavioral therapy. (CBT) READ MORE
There is really no set length of time for therapy for panic disorder. It will depend upon how well you implement the tools that your therapist teaches you. If you are following recommendations regularly, it shouldn't take more than a couple of months READ MORE
It certainly sounds like you have done your research. In order to be properly diagnosed, it's best for you to seek a psychologist for a consultation READ MORE
Yes, using cognitive behavioral therapy can help manage anxiety. Your psychologist will know if/when you need a referral for medication. READ MORE
The best treatment for the treatment of depression is CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) READ MORE
You can try psychotherapy before getting medications. Your psychologist will know if/when to refer you for a medication consult READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Associate Professor Johnson & Wales University (Miami) 1997 - 2003
- Adjunct Professor Lynn University 1992 - 1994
- Adjunct Professor Florida International University 1997 - 1997
- Adjunct Professor Palm Beach Community College 1997 - 1998
- Adjunct Professor Albizu University 1995 - 1997
- Adjunct Professor Florida Atlantic University 1996 - 1996
- Adjunct Professor New York Institute of Technology 1999 - 1999
- Adjunct Professor University of Cincinnati 2004 - 2004
- VIP Business & Professional Achievers 2008 Presidential Who's Who
- Professional of the Year in Clinical Psychology 2008 Cambridge Who'w Who
- Businesswoman of the Year 2004 NRCC
- Alumni of the Year 2007 Albizu University
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- National Eating Disorders Association
- CBT, Interpersonal therapy, DBT
- South Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center, 1998-1999
Articles and Publications
- Its Not About the Weight: Attacking Eating Disorders from the Inside Out, iUniverse. 2007Contributed chapter Lets Talk to 101 Interventions in Group Therapy by Scott Fehr. 2008
What do you attribute your success to?
- I attribute my success to perseverance, my love for watching my clients evolve; ambition
Areas of research
- DSM-5 investigator
Favorite Place to Vacation
- Barcelona, Croatia, Italy, Israel, Prague
Hobbies / Sports
- Tennis, Reading, Scrapbooking, Traveling
Areas of research
DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth edition.) Researcher: conducted field Trials in Routine Clinical Practice Settings; 2012
Dr. Susan J. Mendelsohn, PsyD.'s Practice location
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308Get Direction
- How to Help Children with Separation Anxiety
IntroductionIt is quite natural for young children to become anxious when their parents say goodbye to them. Even though this stage can be difficult to deal with, know that separation anxiety is a part of normal child development. Separation anxiety can be relieved by knowing some effective...
- Do the Symptoms of Autism Differ Between Boys and Girls?
What is Autism?Autism spectrum disorder (ASD, or simply ‘autism’, is a condition characterized by communication challenges, social-interaction difficulties, sensory sensitivities, and restricted or repetitive behavior. Restricted and repetitive behaviors are the most common of these symptoms of...
- This Program Invites Families Affected by Autism to Go Out to Eat
A child throwing a fit in a restaurant is a nightmare for all parents. For parents of children with autism, this can be a more frequent reality.Autism Eats is in its third year of inviting families affected by autism to enjoy a restaurant dinner. Here, it is okay if a child has a meltdown. Any...
- Helping a Loved One Cope with Depression
Depression is a serious mood disorder that can really change the way people live their life. However, depression can be treated with the help and support of people who truly care about the welfare of a person who is depressed. Most people who frequently feel depressed need intervention and treatment...
- Recent Documentary Showcases an Autism Relationship
Dina Buno is the star and subject of a documentary film directed and produced by Antonio Santini and Dan Sickles, titled Dina, which premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival.She is also on the autism spectrum, as is her companion, Scott Levin. The documentary follows a year in their lives as...
- What Causes Binge Eating Disorder?
It is very normal for anyone to overeat once in a while. However, when you start overeating on a daily basis and it starts getting out of control, it is probably time to visit a doctor and get checked for binge eating disorder. It is basically a medical complication that makes you want to eat all...
- Dr. Mitchell E. Spero PSY D350 Nw 70th Ave Fort Lauderdale FL 33317
- Dr. Lenore Walker PSYCHOLOGIST3860 Sheridan St Hollywood FL 33021
- Dr. Malorie K. Schneider PSYD9033 Glades Rd Boca Raton FL 33434
- Nancy Bacher2999 Northeast 191st Street Aventura Florida 33180
- Dr. Brooke Hillary PH.D.3180 Lakeshore Dr Deerfield Beach FL 33442
- Dr. Robert Spiro PH.D.4800 N Federal Hwy Ste 102 Bldg E Boca Raton FL 33431