Dr. Nathan D. Zasler, MD, FAAPMR, FACRM, BIM
Physiatrist (Physical Medicine) | Brain Injury Medicine3721 Westerre Pkwy Suite B Henrico VA, 23233
Internationally recognized physician Nathan Zasler MD is founder, CEO & Medical Director of Concussion Care Centre of Virginia, as well as Medical Director of Tree of Life Services. Dr. Zasler is board certified in PM&R, fellowship trained in brain injury and subspecialty certified in Brain Injury Medicine. He is an affiliate professor in the VCU Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Richmond, VA, and a visiting professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. He is Chairperson Emeritus of IBIA and currently serves as its Vice-Chairperson. He has published over 200 peer reviewed articles and authored over 60 book chapters. Dr. Zasler has published and lectured extensively on TBI related neuromedical issues and has edited 8 textbooks including “Brain Injury Medicine: Principals and Practice” now in its third edition. He is co-chief editor of two international peer reviewed journals: “Brain Injury”, and “NeuroRehabilitation” as well as co-chief editor of “Brain Injury Professional”. Dr. Zasler serves on over 20 international journal editorial boards. He is active in local, national and international organizations dealing with acquired brain injury and neurodisability, serving or having served in numerous consultant and board member roles. He has received numerous awards, been repeatedly recognized by “Best Doctors.” and has also received numerous community patient awards for his clinical services. Dr. Zasler is an advocate, educator, clinical researcher, inventor, entrepreneur and busy practicing clinician who is involved with community-based neurorehabilitation, chronic pain management, and health care consultation, both clinical and medicolegal.
Dr. Nathan D. Zasler, MD, FAAPMR, FACRM, BIM's Videos
Education and Training
University of California, Los Angeles B.S. in Psychobiology 1980
University of the Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School MD 1985
Medical College of Virginia Rotating Internship 1986
Medical College of Virginia Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency 1989
Medical College of Virginia Brain Injury Rehabilitation Fellowship 1990
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
American Board of Independent Medical Examiners
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- TBI rehabilitation program assessment: putting a yardstick to quality and efficacy.
- Chronic pain and neuropsychological functioning.
- Promoting ethical and objective practice in the medicolegal arena of disability evaluation.
- Does pain confound interpretation of neuropsychological test results?
- Pre-injury status and adaptation following traumatic brain injury.
- The minimally conscious state: definition and diagnostic criteria.
- The independent medical examination.
- Advances in neuropharmacological rehabilitation for brain dysfunction.
- Terminology in evolution: caveats, conundrums and controversies.
- Evaluation of the Neurobehavioral Functioning Inventory as a depression screening tool after traumatic brain injury.
- Forensic assessment issues in low level neurological states.
- Psychogenic seizures in brain injury: diagnosis, treatment and case study.
- Pain assessment and management in disorders of consciousness.
- Skill reacquisition after acquired brain injury: a holistic habit retraining model of neurorehabilitation.
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Assistant Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine Medical College of Virginia 1989 - 1992
- Adjunct Faculty, School of Dentistry, Division of Dental Hygiene Extramural Program Medical College of Virginia 1989 - 1992
- Associate Professor University of Virginia, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2002 - 2021
- Professor, Affiliate Faculty Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of PM&R 2004 - Present
- Visiting Professor University of Virginia, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2021 - Present
- American Academy of Disability Evaluating Physicians
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Headache Society
- American Medical Association
- American Neuropsychiatric Association
- American Society of Neurorehabilitation
- Association of American Physicians and Surgeons
- Brain Injury Special Interest Group, American Academy of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation
- International Brain Injury Association
- International Headache Society
- International Rehabilitation Medicine Association
- International Spinal Cord Society
- Maimonides Society, Richmond Chapter
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Task Force, National Head Injury Foundation
- National Brain Injury Association
- Physical Medicine Research Foundation
- Research and Scientific Affairs Committee, National Head Injury Foundation
- Richmond Academy of Medicine
- Task Force on Sexuality and Disability, American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Virginia Brain Injury Association
- Virginia Medical Society
- Virginia Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- World Federation of NeuroRehabilitation
- The Italian Multi-Professional Group of Neuropsychological Rehabilitation
- Functional Neurological Disorders Society
- Virginia Commonwealth University brain injury rehabilitation 1990
Areas of research
disorders of consciousness
Dr. Nathan D. Zasler, MD, FAAPMR, FACRM, BIM's Practice location
Henrico, VA 23233Get Direction
Dr. Nathan D. Zasler, MD, FAAPMR, FACRM, BIM's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Zasler
Get to know Physiatrist Dr. Nathan D. Zasler, who serves patients in Richmond, Virginia.
An exceptional physiatrist, Dr. Zasler is the Founder, CEO, and Medical Director of Concussion Care Center of Virginia, as well as Tree of Life Services, Inc. With over 30 years of clinical experience, he also serves as Vice-Chairperson of the International Brain Injury Association, and is an affiliate professor in the Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
Concussion Care Center of Virginia is an outpatient interdisciplinary clinic that provides neuromedical and rehabilitative assessment and treatment for persons with acquired brain injury with a particular focus on traumatic brain injury including concussion. They also deal with the array of problems often associated with such injuries/insults including management of cognitive, behavioral, and physical impairments associated with trauma, including pain.
Tree of Life Services, Inc. is dedicated to providing people with acquired brain injury (ABI) comprehensive, post-acute, transdisciplinary neurorehabilitation and long term specialized assisted living in beautiful community-based settings to optimize outcomes, restore personal value, decrease rehospitalization rates and promote quality of life. They offer a full complement of onsite as well as off-site rehabilitative, neuromedical and allied healthcare expertise to provide cost effective care.
Graduating with his Bachelor of Science degree in Psychobiology from UCLA in 1980, Dr. Zasler earned his medical degree from the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University in 1985. He then went on to complete his internship and residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at the Virginia Commonwealth University in 1989 and the following year completed a fellowship in brain injury rehabilitation.
Following his training, Dr. “Z” attained board certification in PM&R, and subsequently subspecialty certification in Brain Injury Medicine through the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR). The mission of the ABPMR is to serve the public by improving the quality of patient care in physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R). Dr. Zasle’s medical practice has focused on assessment and management of brain injury related problems and he has treated several thousand patients over hsi 30+ years of practice. He has an international reputation with particular interest and expertise in concussion, post-traumatic headaches and disorders of consciousness.
Among his other roles, he is Co-Chief Editor of two international peer reviewed journals: “Brain Injury”, and “NeuroRehabilitation” as well as Chief Editor of “Brain Injury Professional”. He also serves on over 10 international journal editorial boards, and is active in local, national and international organizations dealing with acquired brain injury and neurodisability, serving or having served in numerous consultant and board member roles.
The doctor has published over 200 peer reviewed articles and authored over 60 book chapters, including publishing and lecturing extensively on TBI related neuromedical issues. He has edited 8 textbooks including “Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice” now in its 3rd edition.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, also known as physiatry, is a branch of medicine that aims to enhance and restore functional ability and quality of life to those with physical impairments or disabilities. Physiatrists treat a wide variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons.
As a testament to his success, Dr. Zasler has been the recipient of the Patients' Choice Award (2016, 2015, 2013), On-Time Doctor Award (2016, 2015), and Top 10 Doctor - State (2014).
- Dr. Douglas A Wayne MD7858 Shrader Rd Henrico VA 23294
- Dr. Eugenio A Monasterio M.D.1250 E Marshall Street Richmond VA 23298
- Dr. Jason Edinger DO1250 E Marshall St Richmond VA 23298
- Dr. Abu A Qutubuddin M.D.1250 E Marshall St Richmond VA 23298
- Dr. Daniel Perri MD5700 FITZHUGH AVE RICHMOND VA 23226
- Dr. Elizabeth A Huntoon MD1250 E MARSHALL ST RICHMOND VA 23298