Dr. Andrew M. Blumenfeld M.D.
Neurologist | Neurology320 Santa Fe Dr Encinitas CA, 92024
Dr. Blumenfeld focuses on addressing the multi-faceted needs of headache sufferers. These needs include acute care, educational programs and other specialty services. This comprehensive approach treat ...
Education and Training
University of The Witwatersrand, Faculty of Health Sciences,Parktown, South Africa MD
University of The Witwatersrand, Faculty of Health Sciences,Parktown, South Africa 1981
UrologyAmerican Board of UrologyABU- 1991
- Efficacy and safety of modafinil (Provigil) for the treatment of fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a two centre phase 2 study.
- An integrated management program for migraine: the Kaiser experience.
- A multi-center double-blind pilot comparison of onabotulinumtoxinA and topiramate for the prophylactic treatment of chronic migraine.
- The International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS): study design, methodology, and baseline cohort characteristics.
- Cost of health care among patients with chronic and episodic migraine in Canada and the USA: results from the International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS).
- Cost of healthcare for patients with migraine in five European countries: results from the International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS).
- Acute autonomic neuropathy with Salmonella typhi infection. A case report.
- The importance of carotid artery plaque disruption and hemorrhage.
- Probable chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in south-western Africa.
- Neurological Disorders
- University Mass Med School
- UMass Memorial Medical Center 1989
- U Ma Mem Hlthcare-Univ Campus, Neurology
- University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Neurophysiology 1990
Dr. Andrew M. Blumenfeld M.D.'s Practice location
Encinitas, CA 92024Get Direction
CARLSBAD, CA 92011Get Direction
Dr. Andrew M. Blumenfeld M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Blumenfeld
Dr. Blumenfeld is a neurologist and neurocritical care physician. He has been a principal investigator for many research studies showing that Botulinum toxin type A, sold under the brand name Botox®, is an effective preventative therapy for headache in chronic migraine sufferers. He has treated more patients with Botox therapy than any other provider in the world and trains other physicians on this - both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Blumenfeld is the Director of the Headache Center of Southern California, whose mission is to provide excellent, comprehensive headache care. As director, he focuses on addressing the multi-faceted needs of headache sufferers. These needs include acute care, educational programs, and other specialty services. This comprehensive approach treats the whole person in a highly individualized manner and addresses the growing demand for one-stop treatment services.
Dr. Blumenfeld currently holds active privileges at Scripps Memorial Hospitals (Encinitas and La Jolla) and the Tri-City Medical Center in Oceanside, California.
Dr. Blumenfeld grew up in South Africa and graduated from St. Andrews College, South Africa, with a first class pass and distinction in mathematics. He then went on to receive his medical degree from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, after which he completed a residency in neurology at Johannesburg Hospital. In 1986, he moved to the United States and completed a residency in neurology at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Following this, Dr. Blumenfeld completed his fellowship training in neurophysiology, also at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
Dr. Blumenfeld served as staff neurologist at Kaiser Permanente, San Diego from 1990 to 2004. As Chief of Neurology Service at Kaiser from 1999-2004, his unit was named a Neurotoxin Center of Excellence by Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Medical College. The Neurotoxin Centers of Excellence recognize excellence in neurologists and other physicians who specialize in headache management.
Dr Blumenfeld is a member of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Headache Society. He has published widely and has been an active researcher in headaches and multiple sclerosis.
Dr. Blumenfeld serves on the advisory board for Allergan. He has been a national speaker and consultant for Allergan, as well as other well-known medical corporations: Pfizer, GSK, Merck, Posen, Zogenix, MAP pharmaceuticals, Forrest, and Ortho McNeill.
Dr. Blumenfeld is board-certified in neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN). The ABPN is a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to serving the public interest and the professions of psychiatry and neurology by promoting excellence in practice through certification and continuing certification processes.
Neurology is the branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders of the nervous system. Neurocritical care is a medical field that treats life-threatening diseases of the nervous system and identifies, prevents/treats secondary brain injury. Being a neurologist and neurocritical care physician, Dr. Blumenfeld provides emergency critical care for patients with serious conditions involving the nervous system, brainstem or brain. He also treats secondary injuries of the brain, such as those brought on by chronic illnesses.
Dr. Blumenfeld is an avid bicyclist, having participated in the Race Across America in 2003 and 2004. In his spare time, he enjoys running and spending time with his family.
- Are You Suffering From Lewy Body Dementia or Something Else?
Facts you should know about LBD1. Lewy body dementia (LBD) is one of the most common types of degenerative dementia. Just like Alzheimer’s disease, LBD is a degenerative form of dementia that is caused by the presence of lewy bodies. This causes the unusual collection of a protein known as...
- What Is Akathisia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
What is akathisia?Akathisia is a feeling of anxiety or restlessness. Its symptoms tend to overlap with the symptoms of other physical and psychological disorders. The diagnosis depends on a very subjective feeling of restlessness. Hence, recognizing akathisia can be somewhat tricky. Movement...
- Movement Disorder in Parkinson's May Be Due to Brain's Rewiring
Parkinson’s is among the most common neurodegenerative and movement disorders that touches the lives of approximately 1% of the population over the age of 60. It is more common among men than women, which suggests apart from genetics, hormonal and environmental factors may play a role. Although...
- Studies Linked Green Tea to Prevent or Delay Alzheimer's Disease
According to the Alzheimer’s Association 2017, Alzheimer's disease kills more than breast and prostate cancer combined. In fact, it is considered the sixth leading cause of death in the US alone.Studies have shown that every 66 seconds, someone develops this disease. Moreover, 1 in every 3...
- Alternative Treatments for Restless Legs Syndrome
According to statistics, restless legs syndrome (RLS) affects about 15% of Americans. It is also important to note that restless legs syndrome can be a side effect of certain medications. It will clear off when you stop taking such medication. A variety of alternative treatments is existent....
- Dr. Ross M. Mandeville MD7629 Girard Ave La Jolla CA 92037
- Wade H.M. Wong MD9300 CAMPUS POINT DR LA JOLLA CA 92037
- Dr. Kristi Ann Dove MD3939 Ruffin Rd San Diego CA 92123
- Dr. Michael S. Rafii M.D., PH.D.4510 Executive Drive San Diego CA 92121
- Dr. Chamindra Konersman M.D.4510 Executive Drive San Diego CA 92121
- Suzan Khoromi M.D.4510 Executive Drive San Diego CA 92121