Dr. Donald Shumate practices Pulmonology in Des Moines, IA. A pulmonologist is a physician who possesses specialized knowledge and skill in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary conditions and diseases. Dr. Shumate manages patients who need life support and mechanical ventilation, and is specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, particularly pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, and complicated chest infections.
Education and Training
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences 1973
Dr. Donald Ray Shumate D.O.'s Practice location
Des Moines, IA 50312Get Direction
Dr. Donald Ray Shumate D.O.'s reviewsWrite Review
- Former Pro Athlete Sells Medal to Give Teen Soccer Fan Lung Transplant
Mo Johnston, former star athlete as part of both the Rangers and the Celtics has decided he wants to give back. He has decided to sell his league medal in order to raise money so a teen with cystic fibrosis could receive a lung transplant that has become crucial to his health.Background on...
- Symbicort (Budesonide/Formoterol) Inhalation Aerosol
What is Symbicort?Symbicort is a combination drug used for the management of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) symptoms. The two active ingredients of Symbicort are budesonide and formoterol. This combination helps relax the airways and makes breathing easier.Budesonide can be...
- Cystic Fibrosis: A Day in the Life
Everyday tasks like walking up a set of stairs can be a daunting and debilitating endeavor for individuals with cystic fibrosis. The progressive, lifelong illness causes thick mucus to build up on the inside of critical organs, most notably the lungs. People who live with cystic fibrosis are...
- Procedure Found to Help Children with Cystic Fibrosis
Researchers have recently found that the simple procedure of inhaling hypertonic saline solution, or HSS, can increase sputum production and improve pathogen identification in children. This breakthrough will act as a benefit to many suffering from cystic fibrosis who are unable to spontaneously...
- Young Mom Faces Cystic Fibrosis Diagnosis—Twice
At the age of 23, Shelby Woods faces every parent’s worst nightmare – a sick child. However, for Shelby, this nightmare is greater because both of her children, Sienna and Noah, were diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, an incurable genetic disease that had them going in and out of the...
- Pneumonia in an Immunocompromised Patient
Pneumonia as a disease was once dreaded, since most of the cases would turn out to be fatal. This was many years ago, and with medical advances, times have changed. However, in some severe cases of pneumonia, especially in people with weakened immune systems, the disease can still be fatal. If the...
- Dr. Katrina A. Guest M.D.5950 University Avenue West Des Moines Iowa 50266
- Dr. Daniel John Barth D.O.1601 Nw 114th St Clive IA 50325
- Dr. Eric Stramel DO274 Union Blvd Denver CO 80228
- Dr. Michael C Witte DO1601 Nw 114th St Clive IA 50325
- Dr. Jason B Wittmer MD1601 Nw 114th St Clive IA 50325
- Ravindra Gudavalli M.B.B.S.5950 University Ave West Des Moines IA 50266