Dr. Joseph Bloomer is a hepatologist practicing in Birmingham, AL. Dr. Bloomer specializes in the study of body parts such as the liver, the biliary tree, the gallbladder and the pancreas. Hepatologists manage disorders in these areas and are specifically known for treating viral hepatitis. Patients who have received liver transplants also follow up with hepatologists after their procedure.
- Theodore Woodward Award. Pathogenesis of biochemical abnormalities in protoporphyria.
- Phenobarbital effects in cholestatic liver diseases.
- Hepatic disease in erythropoietic protoporphyria.
- Curricular guidelines for training in transplant hepatology.
- Heme synthetase deficiency in human protoporphyria. Demonstration of the defect in liver and cultured skin fibroblasts.
- Erythropoietic protoporphyria: altered phenotype after bone marrow transplantation for myelogenous leukemia in a patient heteroallelic for ferrochelatase gene mutations.
- Serum bile acids in primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Inhibitory effects of scillaren and dinitrophenol on bilirubin excretion by the isolated perfused rat liver.
- Effect of graded bilirubin loads on bilirubin transport by perfused rat liver.
- Serum bile acids in alcoholic liver disease. Comparison with histological features of the disease.
- Genotypic determinants of phenotype in North American patients with erythropoietic protoporphyria.
- Regulation of ferrochelatase gene expression by hypoxia.
- Hepatic porphyrias.
- Liver transplantation for erythropoietic protoporphyria liver disease.
- Biochemical abnormality in erythropoietic protoporphyria: cause and consequences.
Dr. Joseph R Bloomer MD's Practice location
Birmingham, AL 35249Get Direction
Dr. Joseph R Bloomer MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Bloomer
- Can I Live with Liver Cancer?
You can still live a happy and healthy life even if you have liver cancer. Liver cancer is a very deadly disease, and sometimes, it becomes very hard to treat it, especially in its advanced stages. In such cases, you don’t have to worry at all. You can receive your treatment according to your...
- Can Liver Diseases Lead to Liver Cancer?
What is a liver disease?Liver disease refers to medical complications that cause the liver to be damaged, making it unable to perform its functions properly. The liver is among the most valuable and life-sustaining organs in the body. The reason is that it carries out many important functions that...
- Is Cirrhosis of the Liver a form of Cancer?
The liver is a vital and also, the largest organ in the human body. Its large size is a clear indication of the many roles it plays in the human body.Some of its functions include:...
- What Are the Causes and Symptoms of Liver Cirrhosis?
Cirrhosis is attributed to an abnormal condition which causes a scarring of the liver that damages the functioning of the liver considerably. There are a number of factors that can result in the cirrhosis of the liver such as consuming excessive alcohol, viral hepatitis, other liver disease and so...
- Can Mononucleosis Affect My Liver?
Mononucleosis (mono) is not typically a serious disease, but it may lead to serious complications. Mononucleosis results from the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) that belongs to the herpes family. This virus is so common that most adults in their thirties have already developed immunity against it. The...
- What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Liver Cancer?
Liver cancer is a condition that is characterized by the abnormal or cancerous growth of liver cells. Liver cells are also called as hepatocytes. Hence, liver cancer can also be called as hepatocellular cancer. Although other cell types can become cancerous, the most common cause of liver cancer is...