Dr. Tafadzwa Makarawo is a general surgeon practicing in Glendale, AZ. Dr. Makarawo specializes in abdominal contents including the esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and often thyroid glands. General surgeons are able to deal with almost any surgical or critical care emergency, also involving the skin or soft tissue trauma. Dr. Makarawo provides quality surgical service for gravely ill or injured patients and is able to respond quickly due to knowledge of various surgical procedures.
Education and Training
University of Birmingham 2010
- A survey of doctors' and nurses' knowledge, attitudes and compliance with infection control guidelines in Birmingham teaching hospitals.
- Trichoptysis: a hairy presentation of a rare tumour.
- Phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors for lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia: a systematic review.
- Prosthesis-free repair of pectus chest deformity.
- Is routine nasoendoscopy warranted in epistaxis patients after removal of nasal packing?
- Water as a contrast medium: a re-evaluation using the multidetector-row computed tomography.
- Surgery for diverticulitis: a re-evaluation of the changing trends.
- Necrotizing myonecrosis secondary to hematogenous spread of gas gangrene following colonic perforation.
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Top Doctor Year Phoenix Magazine
- Michigan State University General Surgery 2016
- Michigan State University 2016 General Surgery
- Swedish Medical Center Colorectal Surgery 2017
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- In 2014, he participated with the Midwest Missions Group in a one-week mission in a remote village in the Dominican Republic, during which time he was able to set up a surgical clinic and outpatient s
- Swedish Medical Center2017Colorectal Surgery
Dr. Tafadzwa P. Makarawo, MD's Practice location
Request An Appointment With Dr. Tafadzwa P. Makarawo, MD | Colon & Rectal Surgeon
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Tafadzwa P. Makarawo, MD's reviewsWrite Review
Get to know Colorectal Surgeon Dr. Tafadzwa P. Makarawo, who serves patients in Glendale, Arizona.
As a board-certified colorectal surgeon, Dr. Makarawo has interests in all aspects of the benign anorectal disease, diagnostic endoscopy, as well as pelvic floor disorders including rectal prolapse, fecal incontinence, and constipation. He practices at the Colon and Rectal Center of Arizona in Glendale, Arizona.
The Colon and Rectal Center of Arizona provides a broad range of surgical services to treat conditions including, but not limited to: colon cancer, rectal cancer, diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, fissures, fistulas, fecal incontinence, rectal prolapse, and constipation. The team of board-certified professionals working there delivers comprehensive and compassionate colorectal care. They take great pride in providing the highest quality medical and surgical care possible, utilizing laparoscopic and minimally invasive approaches including da Vinci robotic surgery.
The doctor is trained in minimally invasive abdominal surgery with a particular interest in colon and rectal cancer and diverticular disease. He is board-certified with the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
Pertaining to his educational background, he completed his undergraduate medical training and postgraduate surgical training in the United Kingdom prior to coming to the United States in 2010. He went on to complete his general surgery residency at Michigan State University in Southfield, Michigan in 2016, followed by his fellowship in colorectal surgery at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, Washington. Additionally, he is fellowship-trained in robotic surgery, having worked alongside some of the national forerunners in the application of this surgical modality for colorectal diseases.
With extensive experience in clinical research, Dr. Makarawo has multiple peer-reviewed publications and national podium presentations to his credit. He also has experience in medical education as an invited speaker and instructor of students and clinical practitioners at multiple levels and from varied specialties.
Colorectal surgery is a field in medicine dealing with disorders of the rectum, anus, and colon. The field is also known as proctology, but this term is now used infrequently within medicine and is most often employed to identify practices relating to the anus and rectum in particular. Colorectal surgeons specialize in the preoperative, operative, and postoperative care of patients with colorectal disorders. They have comprehensive knowledge about general surgery and in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the rectum, anus, and colon.
In March 2014, Dr. Makarawo was selected to travel with the Midwest Missions Group to a remote village in the Dominican Republic, where he was involved in mission work. During this one week trip, in amongst the multitude of activities involved, the team was able to set up a surgical clinic and outpatient surgery department. They triaged multiple patients and operated on the largest number of patients ever in the 40-year history of this group’s mission trips over the years.
Outside of the office, Dr. Makarawo is a keen sports enthusiast, an active participant in a number of sports disciplines, and an advocate of regular exercise. He also enjoys socializing, listening to music, and spending time with family.
- What Is Ulcerative Colitis?
There are a few problems that can affect the digestive tract and cause problems, and they are generally referred to as irritable bowel diseases (IBD). The most common IBDs are Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. IBD is different from IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which does not cause...
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: The Potential Complications
A gastric bypass surgery is done to achieve weight loss, especially in individuals who are obese and overweight. This type of major abdominal surgery alters the stomach and intestines to limit a person's food intake.Annually, there are more than 200,000 Americans who undergo gastric bypass surgery....
- Everything You Need to Know About Biopsy Procedures
What is a biopsy?A biopsy is a medical procedure, which is mostly used in diagnosing cancer. In this procedure, a small tissue sample is taken from your body for a closer examination under the microscope. A biopsy is usually recommended by your doctor if initial tests in your body suggest an...
- An Overview of Gallbladder Diseases
What is the gallbladder?The gallbladder is a four-inch, pear-shaped organ situated below your liver. It acts as a storage organ for bile, which is a mixture of fats, cholesterol, and fluids. The main purpose of bile is to help in breaking down fats during digestion. The whole process allows for easy...
- What Are the Risks of Gallbladder Surgery?
Your gallbladder has a very big role in the body during digestion. It is the organ that collects a fluid known as bile, which helps you to digest food. If your gallbladder develops complications, you may need to have it removed. You may also have it removed if you develop gallstones. Gallstones are...
- What Are the Treatment Options for Appendicitis?
Appendix FactsThe appendix is also known as acecal appendix and sometimes the vermiform appendix. It is small in size with a finger-shaped pouch attached to the large intestines right at the bottom side of the belly.The lower tip of the appendiz is found 2cm below the ileocecal valve, which...
- Dr. Terry L. Simpson MD., FACS9377 E BELL RD SCOTTSDALE AZ 85260
- Dr. Mary E. Schultheis MD.1492 S Mill Ave Tempe AZ 85281
- Dr. Yaritza Perez-soto M.D.5310 W Thunderbird Rd Glendale AZ 85306
- Kevin Masur3501 N Scottsdale Road Scottsdale AZ 85251
- Mrs. Caren Lynn Borjeson DO20033 N 19th Ave Phoenix AZ 85027
- Dr. Rashmi Pradhan Vaidya M.D5810 W BEVERLY LN GLENDALE AZ 85306