Dr. Robin D. Ross, MD, MPH, CPH
Ophthalmologist4835 E Cactus Rd Suite 105 Scottsdale AZ, 85254
Dr. Robin Ross is an ophthalmologist practicing in Scottsdale, AZ. Dr. Ross specializes in eye and vision care. As an ophthalmologist, Dr. Ross can practice medicine as well as surgery. Opthalmologists can perform surgeries because they have their medical degrees along with at least eight years of additional training. Dr. Ross can diagnose and treat diseases, perform eye operations and prescribe eye glasses and contacts. Ophthalmologists can also specialize even further in a specific area of eye care.
Education and Training
Weill Cornell Medical College MD 1990
Stanford University BA 1985
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School MPH 2016
University of Michigan Mott Internship 1991
Univ of Iowa Ophthalmology Residency 1995
William Beaumont Hospital ARC Vitreoretinal Fellowship 1997
OphthalmologyAmerican Board of OphthalmologyABO
Dr. Robin D. Ross, MD, MPH, CPH's Expert Contributions
What is diabetic eye disease? Diabetic eye disease is a group of disease that are mainly associated with people who have diabetes, including type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes. Some of these eye conditions are diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema (DME), glaucoma, and cataracts. A...
Robin Ross, MD, MPH, CPH is a Retina Specialist and Chief Medical Officer (CMO) with The Global Retina Institute in Scottsdale, Arizona.Dr. Ross is board certified in Ophthalmology and has specialized in vitreoretinal diseases and surgery for the last two decades. Examples of common vitreoretinal...
Our patients think of "laser" as high tech. There are many different kinds and types of laser.My first car at age 16 was a very used Volkswagon beetle that I bought secondhand for $1500 before college. I spent the summer sanding rust and using bondo for holes before I paid $99 for a special paint...
Yes, an ophthalmologist is a physician who performs cataract surgery. A comprehensive eye examination is first performed to insure that the cause of vision decline is the cataract. There are many sub specialists within ophthalmology who focus on other areas of the eye. READ MORE
Blurred vision that is of new onset can have a host of reasons including dry eyes, cataract, change in refraction (patient with high sugar or new diabetics). Since it differs from your fellow eye, good idea to discover the cause READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Director of Global Health Outreach University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix 2017 - 2018
- Director of Medical Education Ophthalmology University of Arizona College of Medicine Phoenix 2018 - 2018
- Fulbright Specialist Award 2017 World Learning
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinal Detachment
- Retinal Tear
- Macular Hole
- Type 2 Diabetes
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Ret
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- Red Rover Ventures
- Oakland University (Research) (Vitreoretinal Surgical)
Articles and Publications
- Matthews GP, Ross RD, Iwamoto T, Gershbein A, Sparrow Jr, Chang S. Electrophysiological and Histological Evaluation of Retinal Tolerance to Short-term Intravitreal Perfluoro-ethylcyclohexane Liquid.
- Chang S, Sparrow JR, Iwamoto T, Gershbein A, Ross RD, Ortiz R. Experimental Studies of Tolerance To Intravitreal Perfluoro-n-octane Liquid. Retina 1991; 11(4):367- 374
- Sparrow JR, Matthews GP, Iwamoto T, Ross RD, Gershbein A, Chang S. Retinal Tolerance to Intravitreal Perfluoroethylcyclohexane Liquid In The Rabbit. Retina 1993; 13(1): 56- 62.
- Boone DE, Boldt HC, Ross RD, Kimura A, Folk JC. The Use Of Tissue Plasminogen Activator In The Treatment Of Subretinal Hemorrhage In The Pig Model. Retina 1996:16(6), 518-524.
What do you attribute your success to?
- Dr Ross always wanted to help people. In 1989 she had the opportunity to got to India with a Scudder Fellowship. That is where she first gained exposure to \'eye camps\' which inspired her to specialize in ophthalmology.
Areas of research
- Dr Ross recently opened up the Institute to help patients both locally and globally with their retina and ophthalmology issues. She specializes in vitreoretinal diseases. She has a true passion for helping patients overseas including Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Nicaragua, Cambodia, and other countries in need. She is the go-to for those seeking a second opinion or advice on where to seek additional eye care. Dr Ross is heavily involved in clinical research projects with the University of Arizona.
- Dr Ross is the Director of Global Health Outreach at the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Phoenix and is currently involved in the PREVAIL Project which brings first year medical students to Liberia. Dr Ross herself has been to West Africa 17 times in the past three years.
Areas of research
Virtual Reality Ophthalmic Simulation--development of a global health module for teaching
Ebola related Uveitis-PREVAIL clinical research in Liberia
Integration of ophthalmology into medical school curriculum
Dr. Robin D. Ross, MD, MPH, CPH's Practice location
Scottsdale, AZ 85254Get Direction
SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85254Get Direction
Dr. Robin D. Ross, MD, MPH, CPH's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Ross
Dr. Ross was very attentive and patient. I am thrilled to have finally found a doctor I can trust!
- What is Cataract Surgery?
The exact cause of cataracts is not known. Nevertheless, it seems that most cataracts are caused by long-term variations in the eye lens protein components which in turn causes cloudiness in the lens. Though not common, cataracts can affect infants and young children due to genetic enzyme...
- What is Dry Eye?
Dry eyes are a condition in which the eyes do not get enough moisture and lubrication from tears. It is the tears that provides constant moisture to the eyes, which is very important for comfort of viewing. It is a very common condition in the population, particularly in people above 40-years-old....
- Living with Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetesType 1 diabetes, which is also called insulin-dependent diabetes, is the more severe form of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes develops at any age, but it usually develops among children and teenagers. This is the reason why it is also commonly called “juvenile” diabetes.Living with type...
- Everything You Need to Know About Cataract Surgery
What is a cataract?Sometimes there is a clouding of the lens in the eye; this clouding is called a cataract. Mostly, this clouding is related to old age. In fact, the majority of Americans aged 80 and above have experienced this clouding or have already undergone a cataract surgery at a particular...
- What is Traumatic Cataract?
Perhaps the most poorly recognized key health challenge today is trauma. In the developed world, trauma causes monocular blindness. Ocular injury otiology may vary from one urban area to another and therefore needs careful investigation. Any approach for preventing trauma requires familiarity with...
- What is Eye Melanoma?
What is eye melanoma?Eye melanoma is also known as ocular melanoma. It is a type of cancer that develops in the eye, from the melanin-producing cells.Melanoma is a type of malignant cancer that develops in the melanin-producing cells all over the human body. Melanin-producing cells are known for the...
- Dr. Paul M. Petelin Jr. MD14275 North 87th Street Scottsdale Arizona 85260
- Rahul K. Reddy18399 North 94th Place Scottsdale Arizona 85255
- William A. Woolf 2855 E Brown Rd Mesa Arizona 85213
- Dr. Mahmood El Gasim MD14820 N. Del Webb Blvd. Sun City AZ 85351
- Dr. Eva-Marie B. Chong MD13760 N 93rd Ave Peoria AZ 85381
- Dr. Stanley Roy Shorb MD14275 N 87th St Scottsdale AZ 85260