Dr. Jay Lawrence Friedman, M.D.
Geriatric Psychiatrist | Geriatric Psychiatry2 Dean Drive 1st Floor South Wing Tenafly NJ, 07670
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Voluntary Faculty Weill Cornell Medical College 2000 - Present
- Physician's Recognition Award with Commendation 2021 American Medical Association
- Member AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
- Member NEW JERSEY PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION
- Member AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRY
- Member AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
- Member New York State Medical Society
- New York Hospital - Cornell Medical Center
- GERIATRIC PSYCHIATRY, N. Y.Presbyterian Hospital- Cornell - Weill Medical College, White Plains, NY 1999
- Columbia College of Physicians
- NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell Medical Center
Professional Society Memberships
- American Psychiatric Association, the New Jersey Psychiatric Association, the American Association for Geratric Psychiatry, the American Medical Association, and the New York State Medical Society
Dr. Jay Lawrence Friedman, M.D.'s Practice location
New York, NY 10075Get Direction
New York, New York 10023Get Direction
Dr. Jay Lawrence Friedman, M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Friedman
Get to know Psychiatrist Dr. Jay Lawrence Friedman, who serves patients throughout the States of New Jersey and New York.
A skilled psychiatrist, Dr. Friedman is the Owner of Tenafly Psychiatric Associates, LLC in Tenafly, New Jersey, with two satellite offices in the Upper West Side and in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York. He specializes in all areas of psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry, anxiety, depression, psychopharmacology, post traumatic stress, OCD, family and marital counseling, panic disorder, phobias, bipolar disorder, sleep disorders, memory issues and testing, evaluation and treatment of Alzheimer’s Dementia and other forms of dementia and complications, nursing home and assisted living visits.
With a broad educational background, he graduated from Princeton University and completed an internship in internal medicine at the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. He then went on to complete his residency in psychiatry at the UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School as Chief Resident, followed by a fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Continuously advancing his efforts, Dr. Friedman is an active member of the American Psychiatric Association, the New Jersey Psychiatric Association, the American Association for Geratric Psychiatry, the American Medical Association, and the New York State Medical Society.
Among his other roles, he is a Voluntary Faculty member in the Department of Psychiatry at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of mental disorders. These include various maladaptations related to mood, behavior, cognition, and perceptions. Psychiatrists evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients with mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. They conduct thorough psychiatric evaluations, develop treatment plans, prescribe medication, and evaluate treatment results.
Dr. Friedman has, once again, been the recipient of the Physician’s Recognition Award with Commendation by the American Medical Association (April 1, 2021- April 1, 2024).
Speaking several languages, he is fluent in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish.
- Symptoms of Atypical Depression
Depression is usually signified by extended moods of sadness and a generally low mood even when events occur that should normally lift someone’s spirits. Patients generally ignore all positive stimuli, preferring to remain in a cocoon irrespective of external circumstances. At one stage, the loss...
- Antidepressants for Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson’s disease affects people of ages 55-75, although it may affect younger people, too. Parkinson's disease is a neurological disorder. This disease affects the movement of muscles, their control, and balance.Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease...
- Learning About the Beck Depression Inventory
Depression and AnxietyDepression and anxiety are disorders that are different from each other, but people suffering from depression often have symptoms that closely resemble those of anxiety. The disorder, in fact, starts out as anxiety, and if not treated at the right time with the right diagnosis,...
- What is Cancer Immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy, also referred as biological therapy, is a special type of cancer treatment aimed at boosting the body's immune system to help fight cancer cells. Cancer cells don’t die normally as other cells do, and divide uncontrollably with each cell making more of itself like a copy machine...
- Cognitive-Enhancing Medication for Parkinson's Disease
What is Parkinson’s disease?Parkinson’s disease is known to have an impact on the nerve cells in the brain that produce dopamine. It is a progressive disorder of the central nervous system that can affect body movements. The disease develops gradually, wherein there are hardly noticeable tremors...
- St. John's Wort for Depression Treatment
The scientific name of St. John’s wort is Hypericum perforatum, which is a powerful medicinal herb that has anti-inflammatory properties. This herb has been long been used due to its health benefits, especially in relieving depression. Ancient Greek physicians believed that this herb possessed a...
- Dr. Pritesh Shah M.D.354 Old Hook Rd Westwood NJ 07675
- Dr. Shragit Glazman MD2 Overhill Rd Scarsdale NY 10583
- Dr. Sailaja Valiveti MD230 E Ridgewood Ave Paramus NJ 07652
- Dr. Karamchand Rameshwar M.D.13750 Jamaica Ave Jamaica NY 11435
- Dr. Alexis Bisangwa M.D4359 147th St Flushing NY 11355
- Dr. James Joseph Weisbard M.D.2015 GRAND CONCOURSE BRONX NY 10453