Dr. Joseph Helman is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon practicing in Ann Arbor, MI. Dr. Helman specializes in the treatment of problems related to the face, mouth and jaws. As an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Helman is a unique dental specialist who can provide emergency medicine, perform general surgery and give anesthesia. These medical doctors are the only type of medical care specialist who can administer anesthesia, besides anesthesiologists. Typical procedures performed by Dr. Helman are tooth extractions, especially wisdom teeth, corrective jaw surgery, cleft palate surgery and reconstructive surgery after an injury. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons can also perform dental work including placing dental implants. These surgeons might also deal with conditions of sleep apnea, oral cancers and more.
Education and Training
Fac Univ Notre-Dame De La Paix, Fac De Med, Namur, Belgium MD
National University of Rosario Dentistry
Universidad Nacional de Rosario Facultad de Ciencias MÈdicas
Joseph I Helman DMD's Expert Contributions
The average weight loss 4 weeks after surgery is about 10 lbs. A study published in September 2015 showed a reduction in body fat as well as total Body Mass Index. The vast majority of patients would usually get back to their original weight within one year unless they change their lifestyle (nutrition and exercise). READ MORE
There is no evidence or published reports at the present time showing a correlation between corona virus COVID 19 and dry mouth. READ MORE
A dental cyst continues to grow at the expense of the surrounding bone and therefore destroying the bony structure. It is dangerous since it may eventually destroy enough bone to compromise other teeth or potentially weaken the hard tissues allowing for a fracture of the jaw. READ MORE
Yes, jaw surgery is done at the hospital READ MORE
- Blood supply to the platysma muscle flap: an anatomic study with clinical correlation.
- The posteriorly based platysma flap in oral and facial reconstruction: A case series.
- Sleep-disordered breathing in Michigan: a practice pattern survey.
- Clinical application of the temporoparietal-galeal flap in closure of a chronic oronasal fistula: review of the anatomy, surgical technique, and report of a case.
- The role of midfacial degloving approach for maxillary cysts and tumors.
- Nuclear medicine in oral and maxillofacial diagnosis: a review for the practicing dental professional.
- Asymptomatic radiolucent lesion of the posterior mandible.
- Obstructive sleep apnea: diagnosis, medical management and dental implications.
- Anterior mandibular lingual salivary gland defect: a report of a case diagnosed with cone-beam computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging.
- Traumatic bone cyst of the condylar region: report of 2 cases.
- Ameloblastic carcinoma (primary type) isolated to the anterior maxilla: case report with review of the literature.
- Soft tissue flaps.
- The cervicofacial flap in facial reconstruction.
- MRI of the pharynx in ischemic stroke patients with and without obstructive sleep apnea.
- Rambam Medical Center 1983
Joseph I Helman DMD's Practice location
Ann Arbor, MI 48109Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Joseph I Helman DMD | Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon | Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Joseph I Helman DMD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Helman
- Pointers for Treating Transgender Patients
As a nurse working in a hospital or clinic, it’s part of their bedside manner to want the patient to feel as comfortable as possible and to respect their decisions. Nurses don't want to miss a beat when caring for their patients. Learn what things to consider and how to avoid common...
- How Long Will I Not Be Able to See After Undergoing Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery as it's commonly known, is performed to correct droopy upper and/or lower eyelids and under-eye bags. The surgery may be performed for functional or medical reasons. Functional blepharoplasty corrects problems related to upper eyelids that sag or droop enough to...
- Different Conditions Treated by an Oral Surgeon
What is an oral surgeon?An oral surgeon, also called as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, is a specialist trained in the detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of oral diseases. Aside from the usual dentistry services, oral surgeons also handle facial pain or injuries, broken jaws, dental...
- Evidence for Gum Disease Causing Heart Disease is Dwindling
The American Heart Association released a new statement stating that there is no conclusive evidence to support the relationship between gum disease and heart problems, and that treating gum disease can improve heart conditions. Gum disease is a major contributor to tooth loss and decay in adults....
- What Could Jaw Pain Mean?
Introduction Jaw pain is described as an uncomfortable, painful, and debilitating condition that can have a sudden or gradual onset. The exact symptoms also depend on the underlying cause of jaw pain. When a person has jaw pain, it can significantly affect his or her ability to speak and consume...
- Cold Sores vs. Canker Sores
Cold sores, also called oral herpes, are highly contagious fluid-filled blisters on the lips and around the mouth. In most cases, cold sores are not that serious, but they can be life-threatening for people who have a weakened immune system such as people with AIDS. On the other hand, canker sores,...
- Dr. Norman J Betts D.D.S., M.S.9416 S Main St Plymouth MI 48170
- Dr. Justine Moe DDS, MD1500 E. Medical Center Dr. Ann Arbor MI 48109
- Dr. Suzanne Pasternak D.D.S.42301 Cherry Hill Rd Canton MI 48188
- Dr. Richard Michael Benian D.D.S9880 E Grand River Ave Brighton MI 48116
- Dr. Brent B Ward MD, DDS1500 East Medical Center Dr Ann Arbor MI 48109
- Stephen E Feinberg DDS1500 East Medical Center Dr Ann Arbor MI 48109