Dr. Virginia Pierce is a pediatric infectious disease specialist practicing in New Haven, CT. Dr. Pierce specializes in recurring or persistent diseases caused by bacteria, parasites or fungus in infants, children and adolescents. Pediatric infectious disease specialists also provide consultation to other health care professionals dealing with complex cases.
PediatricsAmerican Board of PediatricsABP
- New combination vaccines: integration into pediatric practice.
- Evaluation of the Gen-Probe Aptima HIV-1 RNA qualitative assay as an alternative to Western blot analysis for confirmation of HIV infection.
- Comparison of the Idaho Technology FilmArray system to real-time PCR for detection of respiratory pathogens in children.
- An adolescent with fever, headache, and myalgias.
- A 3-year-old girl with vomiting and diarrhea.
- Comparison of the GenMark Diagnostics eSensor respiratory viral panel to real-time PCR for detection of respiratory viruses in children.
- Acute HIV infection in a critically ill 15-year-old male.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 15-2013. A 76-year-old man with fever, worsening renal function, and altered mental status.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 19-2014. A 19-year-old woman with headache, fever, stiff neck, and mental-status changes.
- Elevated Staphylococcus ceftriaxone MICs are an Etest artifact.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 16-2015. A 9-year-old girl with loss of consciousness and seizures.
- CASE RECORDS of the MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL. Case 21-2016. A 32-Year-Old Man in an Unresponsive State.
- Case 21-2016: A Man in an Unresponsive State.
- Donor-Derived Transmission of Candida auris During Lung Transplantation.
- Unit in-service education and training.
Dr. Virginia Margaret Pierce M.D.'s Practice location
New Haven, CT 06510Get Direction
Philadelphia, PA 19104Get Direction
BOSTON, MA 02114Get Direction
Dr. Virginia Margaret Pierce M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- Orchitis After Mumps
Orchitis is an inflammatory condition of the testes caused by an infection from a virus or bacteria. The infection could be because of mumps, mononucleosis or STDs. Infection due to bacteria develops from the progression of epididymitis, a tube that carries semen out of the testes. Mumps virus is...
- Why Do Some Vaccines Have to Be Injected Twice?
What is active immunity?...
- What Should I Do If My Baby Has Mumps?
What is mumps?Mumps is a highly contagious viral infection. The virus invades the parotid glands of the individual causing pain and inflammation of these glands. It is characterized by a “hamster-like” swelling of the patient’s face. The initial symptoms may take up to two weeks to manifest....
- Does the Pertussis Vaccine Have Any Contraindications and Side Effects?
Pertussis is an infection of the upper respiratory system. The disease is highly contagious and spreads through the coughing and sneezing of an infected individual. This highly contagious and airborne disease is caused by the bacteria called Bordetella pertussis. The symptoms of pertussis typically...
- Is the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Vaccine Safe for My Baby?
What are some considerations with regard to vaccination?Never hide anything from your GP while he is deciding about the shots for your baby as your carelessness might have grave after-effects (side effects) for your baby. If your baby has diarrhea or is recovering from the flu, it would not be the...
- What to Expect on Your Future Visits to the Doctor After You Have Been Diagnosed with Lyme Disease
A diagnosis of Lyme disease immediately calls for a 2-4 week course of antibiotics. Doxycycline, amoxicillin, and cefuroxime axetil are some of the antibiotics most commonly used to treat Lyme disease. However, treatment may still vary depending on the symptoms present and the stage at which the...
- Dr. Eugene D Shapiro MD800 Howard Ave New Haven CT 06519
- Dr. Allison Christine Langs-barlow M.D.1 Gustave L Levy Pl New York NY 10029
- Dr. Lisa M Dunkle MD12 Richborough Rd Madison CT 06443
- Dr. Carlos Rafael Oliveira M.D.132 Monroe Tpke Trumbull CT 06611
- Dr. Jeffrey S Kahn MD20 York St New Haven CT 06510
- Dr. Dawn Marie Wetzel MD330 Cedar Street New Haven CT 06510