Dr. Raul Enrique Varela M.D.
Rheumatologist | Rheumatology501 Dr Michael Debakey Dr Lake Charles LA, 70601
Dr. Raul Varela is a rheumatologist practicing in Lake Charles, LA. Dr. Varela specializes in the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases and systematic autoimmune conditions that can affect the bones, muscles or bones. Eventually, if not treated, these illnesses can also impact the skin, eyes, nervous system and internal organs. Dr. Varela treats diseases similar to orthopedists but does not perform surgery. Often times, research is conducted to find potential alternatives for the patients illness.
Education and Training
Univ De Panama, Fac De Med, Panama City, Panama 1972
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal MedicineABIM
- Development of a new fear of hypoglycemia scale: preliminary results.
- Parenting practices and childhood anxiety reporting in Mexican, Mexican American, and European American families.
- PTSD symptoms and somatic complaints following Hurricane Katrina: the roles of trait anxiety and anxiety sensitivity.
- The influence of culture on anxiety in Latino youth: a review.
- Correlates of long-term posttraumatic stress symptoms in children following Hurricane Katrina.
- Predictors of metabolic control in children with Type 1 diabetes: the impact of Hurricane Katrina in a prospective study.
- Mother-child disagreement in reports of child anxiety: effects of child age and maternal anxiety.
- Parenting practices, interpretive biases, and anxiety in Latino children.
- Touro Infirmary, Internal Medicine; Touro Infirmary, Flexible Or Transitional Year
Dr. Raul Enrique Varela M.D.'s Practice location
Lake Charles, LA 70601Get Direction
Dr. Raul Enrique Varela M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Varela
- Chinese Herbal Remedies for Autoimmune Disorders
A new study has shown that a Chinese herbal remedies made from the roots of blue evergreen hydrangea may help in the treatment of autoimmune disorders. The herb, Chang Shan, weakens the abnormal immune response characteristic of autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis,...
- Selena Gomez Starts Boxing After Kidney Transplant
In September, an important announcement from singer and actress Selena Gomez surprised and shocked her fans: she had undergone a kidney transplant to try to combat the complications from lupus. Selena's revelation is part of a special TV program conducted by the journalist Savannah Guthrie and...
- What to Avoid if You have Osteoarthritis
Refined CarbohydratesRefined carbohydrates provide calories but do not contain enough nutrients. Sugar and enriched flour are examples of refined carbohydrates. These ingredients can have a bad effect on blood sugar levels, energy, appetite, and mood. Healthcare providers recommend avoiding enriched...
- What Does It Really Mean When Lupus Is In Remission?
The medical definitions for remission do not work always for lupus. Sometimes, remission means that your symptoms, blood work and physical exams are normal and stay that way for a time. When this happens, your doctor may feel that you never had lupus, but had another condition that caused your...
- Selena Gomez Expected to Share Lupus Struggle in New Documentary
Life-Changing Diseases and Illnesses can Affect Celebrities TooIt might come as a surprise to some, but there are numerous celebrities across the globe that face different diseases and illnesses. Famous actor, singer, performer, and among many other titles Selena Gomez faces a disease. It is...
- Lupus Couldn't Stop Woman from 7-Month Hike
Stacey Kozel took a 2,190 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail. In this hike, she passed through 14 states, rugged terrain, and five national parks. “Iron Will” was the name her fellow hikers referred to when mentioning her.It was about three years ago that she was in a wheelchair. At 41, Kozel...