Dr. Robert Gaston is a nephrologist practicing in Birmingham, AL. Dr. Gaston specializes in the care and treatment of the kidneys. As a nephrologist, Dr. Gaston most typically treats conditions like kidney stones, chronic kidney disease, acute renal failure, polycystuc kidney disease, high blood pressure and more. Nephrologists are also experts on kidney transplantation and dialysis. They are usually referred to by primary care physicians for problems related to the kidneys, and while they can perform tests to diagnose kidney disorders, they do not perform surgeries.
Education and Training
St Louis Univ Sch of Med, St Louis Mo 1979
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal MedicineABIM- Nephrology
- Unequal racial access to kidney transplantation.
- African Americans and renal transplantation: disproportionate need, limited access, and impaired outcomes.
- Addressing minority issues in renal transplantation: is more equitable access an achievable goal?
- Determinants of cardiovascular mortality after renal transplantation: a role for cytomegalovirus?
- Diabetes mellitus after kidney transplantation.
- Kidneys from deceased donors: maximizing the value of a scarce resource.
- Association of CD20+ infiltrates with poorer clinical outcomes in acute cellular rejection of renal allografts.
- Understanding the influence of ethnicity on renal allograft survival.
- The relationship between ethnicity and outcomes in solid organ transplantation.
- Improving access to renal transplantation.
- Current and evolving immunosuppressive regimens in kidney transplantation.
- Kidney transplantation as primary therapy for end-stage renal disease: a National Kidney Foundation/Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (NKF/KDOQITM) conference.
- Transplant tourism: a modern iteration of an ancient problem.
- Must health literacy be a prerequisite for kidney transplantation?
- A Festschrift honoring Dr. John J. Curtis.
- Univ Of Al Hosp, Nephrology; Univ Hosp Of Arkansas, Nephrology; Univ Hosp Of Arkansas, Internal Medicine
Dr. Robert S Gaston MD's Practice location
Birmingham, AL 35233Get Direction
Dr. Robert S Gaston MD's reviewsWrite Review
- Which Doctors Treat Diabetes?
There are many healthcare providers who can diagnose and treat diabetes. While most people may see a primary care doctor if they start having symptoms of diabetes, other physicians and specialists can also help monitor the condition.Doctors who treat diabetesThe following are doctors and specialists...
- Furosemide Side Effects and How to Minimize Them
What is furosemide?Furosemide is an oral prescription medicine, which is available under the brand name Lasix. This drug is also available in its generic form. The generic version of the drug mostly costs less than the branded ones. Furosemide is considered as a water pill or a loop diuretic that...
- Leukocytes in Urine: What Does Leukocyte Esterase in Urine Mean?
What are leukocytes?White blood cells (WBCs) are also called as leukocytes. They protect the body from infections by fighting foreign invaders such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, or parasites. Phagocytes and lymphocytes are forms of white blood cells (WBCs).Phagocytes engulf foreign particles like...
- What is a Cluster Headache?
Headaches that recur two to three times during a short period of time are known as cluster headaches. This may last for few weeks, to months. These headaches often occur after sleep and recur throughout the day. It usually appears during the same time of the year, or season of the year. It may...
- How Is Glomerulonephritis Diagnosed?
GlomerulonephritisGlomerulonephritis is the inflammation of kidney filters called glomeruli. These filters are made up of tiny blood vessels that help remove excess fluids, waste from the bloodstream, and electrolytes. This condition can happen on its own or may occur as part of chronic diseases,...
- Blood in Urine: What is a Urine Test?
When you pee and see a stream of rusty red urine, the sight fills you with a sense of dread. You suspect that the discoloration is due to the presence of blood. A pungent odor may fuel the anxiety. The only way to confirm suspicions is through a urinalysis recommended by a primary caregiver. A...
- Dr. Roslyn Bernstein Mannon M.D.1900 University Blvd Birmingham AL 35233
- Dr. Emmy K Bell MD619 19th Street South Birmingham AL 35233
- Dr. David G Warnock MD619 19th Street South Birmingham AL 35233
- Sumant Chugh Other619 19th Street South Birmingham AL 35233
- Dr. Michal Mrug MD619 19th Street South Birmingham AL 35233
- Dr. Michael Allon MD619 19th Street South Birmingham AL 35233