Dr. James M. Paci, MD, FAAOS
Sports Medicine Specialist | Sports Medicine222 Middle Country Rd #108 Smithtown NY, 11787
James M. Paci, MD is the Director of Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine for Suffolk County for the Orlin and Cohen Orthopedic Group at Northwell Health and an Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery. He is board certified in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine, specializing in the care of athletes and disorders of the shoulder, elbow and knee.
Education and Training
Yale University Bachelor Degree 0
Chicago Medical School medical degree 0
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Distal triceps knotless anatomic footprint repair is superior to transosseous cruciate repair: a biomechanical comparison.
- Distal triceps knotless anatomic footprint repair: a new technique.
- Knotless Suture Anchor With Suture Tape Quadriceps Tendon Repair Is Biomechanically Superior to Transosseous and Traditional Suture Anchor-Based Repairs in a Cadaveric Model.
- Sagittal plane kinematic differences between dominant and non-dominant legs in unilateral and bilateral jump landings.
- Weightbearing ankle dorsiflexion range of motion and sagittal plane kinematics during single leg drop jump landing in healthy male athletes.
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell -
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- he Suffolk County, Section XI Sports Safety Committee, the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine STOP Sports Injuries Committee, the American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, the Arthroscopy Associa
- American Sports Medicine Institute orthopaedic sports medicine
- American Sports Medicine Institute
Professional Society Memberships
- Suffolk County Section XI Sports Safety Committee, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine STOP Sports Injuries Committee, American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, Arthroscopy Association of North America, New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons
Dr. James M. Paci, MD, FAAOS's Practice location
Smithtown, NY 11787Get Direction
WOODBURY, NY 11797Get Direction
Dr. James M. Paci, MD, FAAOS's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Paci
Get to know Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. James M. Paci, who serves patients throughout the State of New York.
A board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Paci is the Director of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine for Suffolk County for the Orlin & Cohen Orthopedic Group at Northwell Health, serving patients in Smithtown, Melville, Syosset, and Woodbury, New York. He specializes in the care of athletes and disorders of the shoulder, elbow and knee.
“I provide patients with the cutting-edge care sought by both professional athletes and weekend warriors, so they can get back to their lives, jobs and sports” expressed Dr. Paci.
With a broad educational background, he received his undergraduate degree from Yale University and was a member of the varsity football team. He continued his education at the Chicago Medical School where he received his medical degree, and went on to complete his residency in orthopedic surgery at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York, where he was Chief Resident from 2008-2009.
While in Syracuse, Dr. Paci assisted in the care of the Syracuse Crunch ice hockey team (AHL), the Syracuse Chiefs baseball team (AAA), the SUNY Cortland University athletic program and the Onondaga Community College athletic program.
Subsequently, he completed an orthopaedic sports medicine fellowship at the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) in Birmingham, Alabama, under the direction of Dr. James Andrews, where he received the 2009-2010 award for excellence in clinical research.
In Birmingham, Dr. Paci was the team physician for Huntingdon College and Bessemer Academy, and assisted with the care of athletes from the University of Alabama, Auburn University, the Washington Redskins football team, and the Montgomery Biscuits (AA) and Birmingham Barons (AA) baseball teams.
Recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery (FAAOS), the doctor is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS). The ABOS is an organization with the goal of establishing educational and professional standards for orthopedic residents and surgeons as well as evaluating the qualifications and competence of orthopedic surgeons.
In good standing with a number of professional organizations, Dr. Paci is a member of the Suffolk County, Section XI Sports Safety Committee, the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine STOP Sports Injuries Committee, the American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons.
In his professional experience, he is the head team physician and Medical Director for the New York Riptide, NLL professional lacrosse team, Long Island University Brookville Campus, and Farmingdale State College, an orthopedic consultant for the Premier Lacrosse League, and an orthopedic consultant for many high schools on Long Island. He is also affiliated with various hospitals and surgery centers, including Long Island Jewish Valley Stream, Syosset Hospital, Huntington Hospital, Peconic Bay Medical Center, John T. Mather Memorial Hospital, South Shore Ambulatory Center, Melville Surgery Center, and Center for Advanced Medicine Surgery Center.
Prior to joining Orlin and Cohen, Dr. Paci was a member of Stony Brook Orthopedic Associates and an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopedics within the Stony Brook University School of Medicine. During that time, he was a team orthopedic physician for the Stony Brook University Seawolves. He has also served as a team physician for the New York Lizards (MLL), Dowling College and Suffolk County Community College.
With a passion for teaching, he serves as an Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
As a leading practitioner in the field of sports medicine, Dr. Paci has presented his research and cutting-edge surgical techniques at numerous national and international orthopedic and sports medicine conferences. He has also authored research and book chapters in topics related to orthopedics and sports medicine. In addition to his clinical and team coverage responsibilities, he currently performs clinical and biomechanical research at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research at Northwell Health.
Orthopedic surgery is the branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons use both surgical and non-surgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, spine diseases, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors, and congenital disorders.
Recognized as a Top Doctor by Castle Connolly Magazine, Dr. Paci has been the recipient of the Top Doctor Award by findatopdoc.com (2020-2021), Top Doctor Award by NY Top Docs (2016-2021), Super Doctor Rising Stars Award (2015-2018), Annual Research Award for Excellence in Clinical Science by the American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society (2009-2010), On-Time Doctor Award (2016, 2018), Patients’ Choice Award (2018), and Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2016).
On a more personal note, he enjoys sports, wine, and cooking. He speaks both English and Spanish.
- Tips for Young Adult Lymphoma Survivors to Make the Most of Recovery
It is extremely difficult to reenter the world and normal life after battling lymphoma. Recovery is much more than the body's physical battle, but how to balance emotions and relationships as well.However, there are specific tools that can assist in adapting back into a life that may seem...
- Were People Able to Live a Normal Life After a Lobotomy?
What is lobotomy?Today, lobotomy is considered to be a barbaric procedure, and no one would want to have it performed on them or a loved one. This procedure did more harm than good, and that is why it was abolished and made illegal worldwide. However, at the beginning, the procedure was praised as a...
- The Most Common Psychological Disorders
Common mental health disorders are often associated with a variety of symptoms, which can lead to significant disability or impairment for the patient and those around them. Below are some of the more common psychological disorders:DepressionDepression or major depressive disorder is a serious...
- Anti-Inflammatory Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis
What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder that happens to affect more than just the joints. In a few cases for certain individuals, this medical condition can lead to damage in a wider sense; for example, it could affect the other body systems, which could...
- Top 7 Depression Myths and Misconceptions Debunked
Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses experienced by people, and just like any other illness, this condition is also accompanied by certain myths and misconceptions. These are the most common myths surrounding depression today....
- Is a Mastectomy an Efficient Option to Treat Breast Cancer?
A mastectomy refers to the surgery performed to remove the breasts, either completely or partially. This was one of the traditional methods in the treatment of breast cancer for a long time. It is also used as a method to reduce the chances of developing breast cancer for women who have a high risk...
- Dr. Frantz R. Lerebours M.D.5 Round Tree Dr Melville NY 11747
- Dr. Gregg Joseph Jarit M.D.6 TECHNOLOGY DR STE 100 EAST SETAUKET NY 11733
- Dr. Stephen Kottmeier M.D.14 Technology Dr East Setauket NY 11733
- Dr. Michael Joseph Sileo MD500 Commack Road Commack NY 11725
- Dr. Richard Arthur Mccormack M.D., M.B.A.5500 MERRICK RD MASSAPEQUA NY 11758
- Dr. Mark J Harary MD60 Fleets Point Drive West Babylon NY 11704