Dr. Eli B. Alegado started from humble beginnings as a farm boy from Butuan City, Philippines, but was raised with 6 siblings, by parents who never allowed financial constraints serve as a barrier to attaining the goal of a higher education. Having migrated to Canada in 1987, Dr. Alegado tackled the challenges that a young foreign medical doctor had to face to be able to reach the status he has achieved and be among the successful physicians in Canada and the United States. Nine Years ago, he decided to “come back home” to Canada, to better serve the multicultural communities in Toronto. He has 32 years of medical experience on his sleeves, and his skills were honed as a Medical staff in the department of Medicine, Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine in Harbor Hospital, Baltimore Washington Medical Centre, St Agnes Hospital and Maryland General Hospital, USA. He also owned a medical building in Baltimore-The United Doctor’s Medical Clinic, where he practiced Internal and Pulmonary Medicine. Currently he is an internist practicing in Scarborough, Ontario. Internists can act as a primary physician or a consultant to a primary physician. They manage both common and rare diseases. Dr. Alegado provides comprehensive care and manages treatment with surgeons as well. Internists establish long-term relationships with their patients and incorporate disease prevention and mental health care into their practice. As Dr. Eli Alegado is also a pulmonologist/respirologist , he possesses specialized knowledge and skill in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary conditions and diseases. Dr. Alegado manages patients who need life support and mechanical ventilation, and is specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, particularly pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, interstitial lung disease and complicated chest infections.
Education and Training
University of Toronto, ON Clinical Fellow in Pulmonary Medicine 1995
Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services (Shock Trauma) (MIEMSS), University of Maryland, Baltimore Clinical Fellowship in Critical Care Medicine 1993
Harbor Hospital Center Postgraduate Training in Internal Medicine 1992
Harbor Hospital Center , Baltimore Internship in Internal Medicine and Postgraduate Education 1990
United Doctor’s Medical Center Quezon City, Philippines Postgraduate Training in Internal Medicine 1984
United Doctor’s Medical Center Quezon City, Philippines Rotating Internship 1983
Davao Medical School Foundation,Davao City Philippines Doctor of Medicine 1982
Far Eastern University Manila Philippines Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology (Licensed) 1977
American Board of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary Disease (Internal Medicine)
Critical Care Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- FamilyPhysician/Internist/Respirologist Eli Alegado Medicine Professional Corporation 2012 - 2018
- Director Private Practice Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine Chronic Pain Services United Doctor’s Medical Clinic , Baltimore 1997 - 2011
- Medical Practice & Medical Staff Attending Physician Internal Medicine, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Harbor Center Hospital ,Baltimore 1997 - 2011
- Assistant Professor Ambulatory Medicine Community-Based Faculty of Medical Students John Hopkins University School of Medicine 2006 - 2010
- Adjunct Professor University of Maryland 2000 - 2008
- Medical Staff Attending Physician Baltimore Washington Medical Center 1998 - 2008
- Medical Staff Attending Physician Maryland General Hospital , Baltimore 1998 - 2007
- Medical Staff Attending Physician St Agnes Hospital , Baltimore 1998 - 2007
- Clinical Associates Program Teaching Preceptor University of Maryland Medical Center 1999 - 2002
- Consultant/Speaker/Moderator (COPD and Bronchial Asthma) Merck, Key Schering, Glaxo, Astra Pharmaceuticals 1998 - 2000
- Director of Student Education Clinical Clerkship Program Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore 1996 - 1998
- Director of Student Education for Offshore Universities Saba University, Ross University, and St. George University 1996 - 1998
- Director of Pulmonary and Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Services Harbor Hospital Center – Helix Health System 1995 - 1997
- Examiner Medical Council of Canada Part 11 Qualifying Examination Toronto ON Canada 1993 - 1994
- District Medical Officer Roddickton Community Center Newfoundland, Canada 1987 - 1989
- General Medical Practicioner St. Brigid Hospital, Manila Philippines 1985 - 1986
- Physician, Rural Health Services Bontoc General Hospital, Mountain Province Philippines 1984 - 1985
- America's Top Physician 2010 CRCA
- America's Top Physician 2009 CRCA
- Business Man of the Year Honoree 2006 House Republican Leadership
- Physician of the Year 2003 The National Republican Congressional Committee
- National Leadership Award, Honorary Co-Chairman, Physician’s Advisory Board 2003 The National Republican Congressional Committee
- Chairman’s Community- Based Teaching Award 2002 John Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Recognition Associates Program 2001 University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Golden Apple Award For Dedication and Excellence in Housestaff Teaching 1998 Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore
- Senior Resident of the Year Department of Medicine 1991 Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore
- Outstanding Postgraduate Intern Certificate 1983 United Doctors Medical Center, Manila Philippines
- Merit for Academic Excellence Certificate, Dean’s list 1979 Davao Medical School Foundation, Davao City Philippines
- • Member of Ontario Medical Association
- • The American College of Chest Physicians
- • The American Thoracic Society
- • American Society of Addiction Medicine
- • American Pain Society
- • Fellow of Royal College Physician and Surgeon
- • The Association of Philippines Physicians in Maryland
- United Doctors Medical Center; MedStar Harbor Hospital
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- University of St. La Salle, Philippines Bahay Pag-Asa related projects and its wholistic formation programs
- University of St. La Salle (Philippines) Scholarship Programs (in support of eligible Medical students from poor families)
- The Sanbayan Foundation (for Philippine Cultural Center East coast)
- Kundirana Fund Raising project of Sanbayan,Inc.
- Philippine Madrigal Concert project for Sanbayan Community
- R.O.O.T.S. Cultural foundation (assisting less fortunate and disadvantaged people in Ontario, recognizing and honouring “Dedicated African Descendants”, African-Canadian Excelling Students, Single Fathers and promoting Drug Awareness and Health Awareness
- Critical Care, University of Maryland; Pulmonary, University of Toronto
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Physician Assistants, Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
What do you attribute your success to?
- Reaching out to anyone and the words to live by \"We care, we serve.\"
Hobbies / Sports
Favorite professional publications
- Journal of the American Medical Association, CHEST Journal
Eli B. Alegado, FRCPC's Practice location
Scarborough, Ontario M1P 2L6Get Direction
North York, ON M3J1N8Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Eli B. Alegado, FRCPC | Internist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Eli B. Alegado, FRCPC's reviewsWrite Review
Get to know Internist & Pulmonologist Dr. Eli B. Alegado, who serves patients in Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Dr. Alegado is a well-versed internist & pulmonologist practicing at Eli Alegado Medicine Professional Corporation in Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Living by the words “we care, we serve”, he manages patients who need life support and mechanical ventilation, and is specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, particularly pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, interstitial lung disease, and complicated chest infections.
To better serve the multicultural communities in Toronto, Dr. Alegado’s skills were honed on staff within the Department of Medicine / Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at MedStar Harbor Hospital, the University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center, Saint Agnes Hospital, and Maryland General Hospital. He also owned a medical building in Baltimore-The United Doctors Medical Clinic, where he practiced internal and pulmonary medicine.
Starting from humble beginnings as a farm boy from Butuan City, Philippines, Dr. Alegado was raised with six siblings by parents who never allowed financial constraints to serve as a barrier to attaining the goal of a higher education. Having migrated to Canada in 1987 after earning his medical degree from the Davao Medical School Foundation, he tackled the challenges that a young foreign medical doctor had to face to be able to reach the status he has achieved and be among the successful physicians in Canada and the United States.
As for his postgraduate education, he completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at MedStar Harbor Hospital, after which he went on to conduct a clinical fellowship in critical care medicine at the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services (Shock Trauma). Finally, in 1995, he completed his fellowship in pulmonary medicine at the University of Toronto.
A Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), the doctor is a member of the Ontario Medical Association, the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Thoracic Society, the American Society of Addiction Medicine, the American Pain Society, the Association of Philippine Physicians in Maryland, the American Academy of Physician Assistants, and the Canadian Association of Physician Assistants.
Recognized as a doctor of excellence, Dr. Alegado is board-certified in internal medicine, pulmonary disease, and critical care medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). The ABIM is a physician-led, non-profit, independent evaluation organization driven by doctors who want to achieve higher standards for better care in a rapidly changing world.
Internal medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Physicians specializing in internal medicine are called internists. They manage and prevent common and complex diseases by providing comprehensive care and promoting overall well-being.
Pulmonology is a medical specialty that deals with diseases involving the respiratory tract. A pulmonologist is an internal medicine physician who specializes in preventing, diagnosing, and treating conditions and diseases that affect the lungs, bronchial tubes, and the respiratory system, including the nose, pharynx, and throat.
Among his philanthropic endeavours, Dr. Alegado is a supporter of several projects, including: the University of St. La Salle, Philippines Bahay Pag-Asa related projects and its holistic formation programs; the University of St. La Salle Scholarship Programs (in support of eligible medical students from poor families); the Sanbayan Foundation (for Philippine Cultural Center East Coast); the Kundirana Fund Raising project of Sambayan, Inc.; the Philippine Madrigal Concert Project for the Sangbayan Community; and R.O.O.T.S. Cultural foundation (assisting less fortunate and disadvantaged people in Ontario, recognizing and honouring dedicated African descendants, African-Canadian excelling students, and single fathers, as well as promoting drug and health awareness).
Outside of practicing medicine, he enjoys playing basketball. His favorite professional publications are the Journal of the American Medical Association and CHEST Journal.
- How to Stop a Cold From Spreading
Colds can be stressful, uncomfortable and troublesome. To add to the woes, it spreads soon from one person to another in the family. It can disrupt the normal routines for almost a week with missed school or work, and sleepless nights.How do you control the virus from spreading to everyone in your...
- What are the Effects of Marijuana?
Marijuana or pot is one of the most commonly abused illegal drugs in the country. About one in 300 people are addicted to this drug. Marijuana is actually a mix of shredded leaves, seeds, flowers, and stems of the plant Cannabis sativa. It is also available in a concentrated form called hashish....
- What are the Causes and Symptoms of Meningitis?
Inflammation of the meninges, the delicate membrane covering brain and spinal cord, is called as meningitis. There are different types of meningitis based on the cause of the disease. Some of these forms have very mild symptoms and may resolve on its own, while some other forms are serious and life...
- What Is G6PD Deficiency?
Introduction G6PD is actually an enzyme and G6PD deficiency occurs when there is a deficiency of this enzyme. This condition is not fatal, but in acute as well as in the chronic breakdown of red blood cells, it causes a spectrum of complaints such as jaundice. This condition is inherited and a...
- What Does Dark Stool Mean?
A dark stool refers to a stool that is either black or dark red in color. You may pass dark bowel movements after consuming dark-colored foods or when an injury or bleeding is present in your gastrointestinal tract. If you pass dark or bloody stools, see your doctor immediately to rule out serious...
- Did You Know That Bactrim Can Treat Multiple Infections?
Bacteria are microorganisms that thrive in the environment, but they are not always harmful. There are a number of vital functions that are performed by bacteria, which are essential for our day-to-day living. However, sometimes, these bacteria may leave harmful strains on or inside our body. When...
- Andrew Thomas Wojcicki109 Pine Bough Manor Richmond Hills Ontario L4S 1A1
- Kenneth Buttoo601 Harwood Avenue South Ajax Ontario L1S 2J5
- Clive Sinoff7600 Weston Rd Vaughan ON L4L 8B7
- Albino Chiodo18 Winford Drive Toronto Ontario M3C 3S2
- Farid Boutros3030 Lawrence Avenue East Scarborough Ontario M1P2T7
- Timothy Cook145 Front Street East Toronto Ontario M5A 1E3