Dr. Eli B. Alegado started from humble beginnings as a farm boy from Butuan City, Philippines, but was raised with 6 siblings, by parents who never allowed financial constraints serve as a barrier to attaining the goal of a higher education. Having migrated to Canada in 1987, Dr. Alegado tackled the challenges that a young foreign medical doctor had to face to be able to reach the status he has achieved and be among the successful physicians in Canada and the United States. Nine Years ago, he decided to come back home to Canada, to better serve the multicultural communities in Toronto.He has 32 years of medical experience on his sleeves, and his skills were honed as a Medical staff in the department of Medicine, Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine in Harbor Hospital, Baltimore Washington Medical Centre, St Agnes Hospital and Maryland General Hospital, USA. He also owned a medical building in Baltimore-The United Doctors Medical Clinic, where he practiced Internal and Pulmonary Medicine.Currently he is an internist practicing in Scarborough, Ontario. Internists can act as a primary physician or a consultant to a primary physician. They manage both common and rare diseases. Dr. Alegado provides comprehensive care and manages treatment with surgeons as well. Internists establish long-term relationships with their patients and incorporate disease prevention and mental health care into their practice.As Dr. Eli Alegado is also a pulmonologist/respirologist , he possesses specialized knowledge and skill in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary conditions and diseases. Dr. Alegado manages patients who need life support and mechanical ventilation, and is specially trained in diseases and conditions of the chest, particularly pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, interstitial lung disease and complicated chest infections.
Education and Training
University of Toronto, ON Clinical Fellow in Pulmonary Medicine 1995
Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services (Shock Trauma) (MIEMSS), University of Maryland, Baltimore Clinical Fellowship in Critical Care Medicine 1993
Harbor Hospital Center Postgraduate Training in Internal Medicine 1992
Harbor Hospital Center , Baltimore Internship in Internal Medicine and Postgraduate Education 1990
United Doctor’s Medical Center Quezon City, Philippines Postgraduate Training in Internal Medicine 1984
United Doctor’s Medical Center Quezon City, Philippines Rotating Internship 1983
Davao Medical School Foundation,Davao City Philippines Doctor of Medicine 1982
Far Eastern University Manila Philippines Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology (Licensed) 1977
American Board of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary Disease (Internal Medicine)
Critical Care Medicine (Internal Medicine)
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- FamilyPhysician/Internist/Respirologist Eli Alegado Medicine Professional Corporation 2012 - 2018
- Director Private Practice Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine Chronic Pain Services United Doctor’s Medical Clinic , Baltimore 1997 - 2011
- Medical Practice & Medical Staff Attending Physician Internal Medicine, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Harbor Center Hospital ,Baltimore 1997 - 2011
- Assistant Professor Ambulatory Medicine Community-Based Faculty of Medical Students John Hopkins University School of Medicine 2006 - 2010
- Adjunct Professor University of Maryland 2000 - 2008
- Medical Staff Attending Physician Baltimore Washington Medical Center 1998 - 2008
- Medical Staff Attending Physician Maryland General Hospital , Baltimore 1998 - 2007
- Medical Staff Attending Physician St Agnes Hospital , Baltimore 1998 - 2007
- Clinical Associates Program Teaching Preceptor University of Maryland Medical Center 1999 - 2002
- Consultant/Speaker/Moderator (COPD and Bronchial Asthma) Merck, Key Schering, Glaxo, Astra Pharmaceuticals 1998 - 2000
- Director of Student Education Clinical Clerkship Program Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore 1996 - 1998
- Director of Student Education for Offshore Universities Saba University, Ross University, and St. George University 1996 - 1998
- Director of Pulmonary and Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Services Harbor Hospital Center – Helix Health System 1995 - 1997
- Examiner Medical Council of Canada Part 11 Qualifying Examination Toronto ON Canada 1993 - 1994
- District Medical Officer Roddickton Community Center Newfoundland, Canada 1987 - 1989
- General Medical Practicioner St. Brigid Hospital, Manila Philippines 1985 - 1986
- Physician, Rural Health Services Bontoc General Hospital, Mountain Province Philippines 1984 - 1985
- America's Top Physician2010CRCA
- America's Top Physician2009CRCA
- Business Man of the Year Honoree 2006House Republican Leadership
- Physician of the Year 2003The National Republican Congressional Committee
- National Leadership Award, Honorary Co-Chairman, Physician’s Advisory Board 2003The National Republican Congressional Committee
- Chairman’s Community- Based Teaching Award 2002John Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Recognition Associates Program 2001University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Golden Apple Award For Dedication and Excellence in Housestaff Teaching1998Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore
- Senior Resident of the Year Department of Medicine 1991Harbor Hospital Center, Baltimore
- Outstanding Postgraduate Intern Certificate 1983United Doctors Medical Center, Manila Philippines
- Merit for Academic Excellence Certificate, Dean’s list 1979Davao Medical School Foundation, Davao City Philippines
- • Member of Ontario Medical Association
- • The American College of Chest Physicians
- • The American Thoracic Society
- • American Society of Addiction Medicine
- • American Pain Society
- • Fellow of Royal College Physician and Surgeon
- • The Association of Philippines Physicians in Maryland
- United Doctors Medical Center; MedStar Harbor Hospital
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- University of St. La Salle, Philippines Bahay Pag-Asa related projects and its wholistic formation programs
- University of St. La Salle (Philippines) Scholarship Programs (in support of eligible Medical students from poor families)
- The Sanbayan Foundation (for Philippine Cultural Center East coast)
- Kundirana Fund Raising project of Sanbayan,Inc.
- Philippine Madrigal Concert project for Sanbayan Community
- R.O.O.T.S. Cultural foundation (assisting less fortunate and disadvantaged people in Ontario, recognizing and honouring “Dedicated African Descendants”, African-Canadian Excelling Students, Single Fathers and promoting Drug Awareness and Health Awareness
- Critical Care, University of Maryland; Pulmonary, University of Toronto
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Physician Assistants, Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
What do you attribute your success to?
- Reaching out to anyone and the words to live by "We care, we serve."
Hobbies / Sports
Favorite professional publications
- Journal of the American Medical Association, CHEST Journal
Eli B. Alegado's Practice location
Scarborough, Ontario M1P 2L6Get Direction
North York, ON M3J1N8Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Eli B. Alegado | Family Practitioner
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Eli B. Alegado's reviewsWrite Review
- When Should I See a Doctor if I have Back Pain?
Physical pain brought about by back pain can sometimes be unbearable making sitting, standing or walking a painful activity to undertake. Other aspects of your life might be affected too, such as sleep or your overall mood. Your daily life activities like study or work can also be affected resulting...
- 319 Pill
319 PillThis pill is round in shape and white in color, and has an imprint of number “319”. It has been identified as tramadol hydrochloride 50 mg. It is used to treat restless legs syndrome (RLS), back pain, chronic pain, and fibromyalgia. It is supplied by Zydus Pharmaceuticals and belongs to...
- Different Types of Physicians Explained
Doctors or physicians are categorized according to different factors including medical specialties and subspecialties. Most doctors specialize in a specific area of medicine. This article provides a summary of the different types of doctors in the medical field. AllergistsAllergists are also...
- What Is Metabolism?
IntroductionMetabolism is a complex biochemical process that is needed to maintain life. Availability of nutrients and nutrition are closely associated with metabolism since metabolism is a process that involves the conversion of food into energy, which is used to fuel the body's cells. The basal...
- Treatments for Sinusitis
Sinusitis is a common infection, although most people who suffer from the condition use ineffective treatments. Before going to the pharmacy, you should first learn about the appropriate treatment for your condition.Sinuses are tiny openings found in the skull and are usually filled with air. They...
- Facts About Meningitis Vaccines
IntroductionThe only way to prevent serious and life-threatening diseases such as meningitis is through vaccination. Meningitis can also be caused by viral, bacterial, and fungal infections. The infection usually affects the meninges or membranes that enclose the brain and spinal cord. Although...
- Osama M. Shabash815 College Street Toronto Ontario M6G 1C9
- Rajinder Atwal4430 Bathurst St Toronto Ontario M3H 3S3
- Barry Pitter Toronto ON M2N 5X7
- Dr. Jack Richman M.D.5945 AIRPORT ROAD MISSISSAUGA ONTARIO L4V 1
- Yuliya Baryla M.D.795 EGLINTON AVENUE EAST TORONTO ONTARIO M4G4E
- Iman Guirgis825 COXWELL AVENUE TORONTO ONTARIO M4C 3