Robert W. Summers
Internist200 Hawkins Drive Iowa City Iowa, 52242
Robert W. Summers, MD, is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Iowa's Carver College of Medicine. He is now the Director of Clinical Programs for the Gastroenterology Department. During his time in practice, he specialized in motility disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases, colon cancer, and radiation enteritis. Dr. Summers conducted research and clinical trials in several specialties of gastroenterology, including the muscle of the small and large intestine, polyps, and inflammatory bowel disease. He is the co-author of several articles in peer-reviewed medical journals, including "Trichuris suis therapy in Crohn's disease" from Gut, and "A randomized trial of aspirin to prevent colorectal adenomas", from The New England Journal of Medicine; to name just a few. He is also a world renowned speaker and credits his success to his excellent team of mentors and colleagues.
Education and Training
The University of Iowa
American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Lecturing, public speaking, and teaching -
- The University of Iowa
Professional Society Memberships
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine, American Gastroenterology Association, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, American Physiological Society
Articles and Publications
- Articles and Books
What do you attribute your success to?
Hard work, Mentors, and Colleagues
Hobbies / Sports
- Football, Basketball, Photography, Music, Piano, Guitar, Reading, Traveling
Favorite professional publications
- National Geographic, International Traveler
Robert W. Summers's Practice location
Iowa City, Iowa 52242Get Direction
- Causes and Treatment for Dry Cough
IntroductionA dry cough is a type of cough that does not accompany the production of mucus or phlegm. Most cases of dry cough are caused by certain allergic reactions from allergens, such as pollutants, dust, or toxins. The body usually tries to expel these irritants by coughing it out. In some...
- What Are the Health Benefits of Milk Thistle?
Milk thistle is a native plant of Europe and an integral part of the medicine for gall bladder and liver disorders. The active ingredients in this herb are flavanoid and silymarin, which have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.Some of the common uses of the herb include:...
- Is Juicing Healthy?
Experts are of the opinion that if you are not so interested in having a whole fruit or vegetable, juices are a good option to include the nutrients in the diet. You can think of different varieties, like kale, carrots, parsley, and apples to have the benefits. This is true because juices contain...
- What Is Campylobacter Infection: Causes and Treatment
Campylobacter InfectionOne of the main causes of diarrhea is Campylobacter. It is also one of the major causes of foodborne illnesses. When it infects the gastrointestinal tract, it can cause cramps, fever, and diarrhea. Campylobacter infections can be prevented by good handwashing habits and food...
- Different Blood Types and What They Mean
The ABO (A, B, AB, or O) blood group system is used to classify different types of antibodies in the plasma and antigens in the red blood cells (RBCs). The ABO blood group and RhD antigen determine the type of blood that is a perfect match for blood transfusions. The four ABO blood groups are: ...
- What Are Ketones?
Almost every cell in the body has a primary source of energy, which is usually glucose. However, when the body doesn't have enough glucose, the liver responds by producing chemicals known as ketones, converting stored fatty acids into ketone bodies. Ketones are used as a backup fuel source when...
- Dr. Thomas M. O'Dorisio MD200 Hawkins Drive Iowa City Iowa 52242
- Dr. Matthew Christian Anderson M.D.200 Hawkins Dr Iowa City IA 52242
- Dr. Karyn Marie Shanks MD610 Eastbury Dr Iowa City IA 52245
- Dr. Maurice C Champion M.D.2460 Towncrest Dr Iowa City IA 52240
- Dr. Leon B Jons MD200 HAWKINS DR IOWA CITY IA 52242
- Dr. William L Iverson MD200 Hawkins Dr Iowa City IA 52242