Mark I. Golden, MD, FACS, FICS, is the founder of Doctors for Visual Freedom in Chicago, Illinois. Prior to the foundation of his practice, Dr. Golden studied under the legendary Dr. Frank Newell at the University of Chicago. It was there he earned the first ever pre-doctoral MS in Ophthalmology given in the United States. Dr. Golden performs surgeries from Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty, to glaucoma in diabetic patients, to laser surgery. He was the first surgeon in the Midwest to do the ALK procedure (a precursor to LASIK), and is always looking for new advances in technology, while being aware not to get too ahead of it. One of the greatest joys in his life is seeing how patients are affected after laser surgery; he has performed over 20,000 procedures on many types of individuals. Dr. Golden also has a small catering company and likes to travel every year with his wife and son, in addition to being an active blogger.
Education and Training
St. Louis University
St Louis Univ Sch of Med, St Louis Mo Medicine 1984
American Board of Ophthalmology- Ophthalmology
OphthalmologyAmerican Board of OphthalmologyABO
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Eye Exams
- Anheuser-Busch Eye Inst, Ophthalmology; St Johns Mercy Med Ctr, Flexible Or Transitional Year Ophthalmology 1988
- St. Louis University
- St. John's Mercy Medical Center
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Association, American Association of Ophthalmologists, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Chicago Medical Society, International College of Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
Passion for the industry, Excellent patient care
Hobbies / Sports
- Cooking, Travel, Reading
Dr. Mark I. Golden M.D.'s Practice location
Request An Appointment With Dr. Mark I. Golden M.D. | Ophthalmologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Mark I. Golden M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Golden
- Reasons Why You Would Need Laser Eye Surgery
Fast on the heels of FDA approval, the passage of nearly two decades has seen Lasik eye surgery (laser in situ keratomileusis), assuming the number one spot in elective surgical procedures opted by the American public. Lasik has redefined eye care by surgically reshaping the cornea of the eye in...
- Cataract Surgery: What is an Intraocular Lens?
When the eye’s natural lenses are removed during cataract surgery, they are replaced by artificial lenses known as intraocular lenses (IOLs). They are also used to correct a patient’s vision during a surgical procedure known as refractive lens exchange.Intraocular lenses are FDA-approved and...
- 6 Helpful Tips for Good Eye Health
Nutrients for good visionMany studies have show that nutrients, like omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E help to prevent eye disorders associated with aging.Some foods that may help to maintain eye health include:...
- Lasik Eye Surgery for Astigmatism
Astigmatism is one of the most common eye disorders affecting huge swaths of the population where the skewed curvature of the corneal surface creates blurred images of near and distant objects. In the normal course, astigmatism goes hand in hand with varying degrees of nearsightedness (myopia) and...
- Everything You Need to Know About Conjunctivitis
What is Conjunctivitis?Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the conjunctiva (a transparent membrane that covers the white part of the eyeball and lines the eyelids). Conjunctivitis is also known as pink eye, due to the characteristic pink or reddish color of the whites of the eyes.What Causes...
- Treatments for Conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis or "pinkeye" is an infection of the conjunctiva, the thin, clear membrane coating the white of the eye and lining the inside of the eyelid. The symptoms may vary slightly depending on the cause, but are distinct: redness of the white part of the eye, tearing, a thick yellow discharge...
- Dr. Dimitri G. Perros M.D.800 Austin Evanston Illinois 60202
- Dr. James Reidy MD60 East Delaware Place Chicago IL 60611
- Manvi Prakash Maker2050 Pfingsten Road Glenview Illinois 60026
- Dr. Deepa G. Reddy M.D.1900 W Harrison St Chicago IL 60612
- Dr. Veeral S. Sheth M.D.1855 W Taylor St Chicago IL 60612
- Dr. Jan Iwata DO1 East Superior Street Chicago Illinois 60611