Dr. Derek J. Dawson M.D.
Ophthalmologist8256 Hohman Avenue Munster Indiana, 46321
Dr. Derek Dawson is an ophthalmologist practicing in Munster, Indiana. Dr. Dawson specializes in eye and vision care. As an ophthalmologist, Dr. Dawson can practice medicine as well as surgery. Opthalmologists can perform surgeries because they have their medical degrees along with at least eight years of additional training. Dr. Dawson can diagnose and treat diseases, perform eye operations and prescribe eye glasses and contacts. Ophthalmologists can also specialize even further in a specific area of eye care.
Education and Training
Meharry Medical College
Meharry Med Coll Sch of Med, Nashville Tn 1980
Logan College of Chiropractic
Meharry Medical College 1980
American Board of Ophthalmology
OphthalmologyAmerican Board of OphthalmologyABO
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Associate Professor -
- Most Outstanding Resident Award at Howard University Hospital
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Dry Eye Syndrome
- Howard University Hospital
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
Hobbies / Sports
Favorite professional publications
Dr. Derek J. Dawson M.D.'s Practice location
Munster, Indiana 46321Get Direction
MUNSTER, IN 46321Get Direction
- What is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
Age-related macular degeneration is a common eye condition that affects macula, a small part at the back of the eye. Macula is the area of eye that helps us to differentiate the finer details. Damage to macula leads to gradual blurring of central vision. Macular degeneration impairs sharp vision and...
- How to Prepare for Cataract Surgery
The normal process of aging is the leading cause of cataracts. The eye’s lens slowly loses its clarity and gets cloudy as we age. As a result, the quality of vision decreases. Cataract surgery is recommended when your life’s quality starts to suffer.It is important to know how to prepare...
- Conjunctivitis: When to See an Ophthalmologist and What to Expect
Our eyes are our windows to the world, and we each get only a single pair in our lifetime. Life without our sense of sight can spell great difficulty. Imagine being born and living with good vision for decades, only to have it impaired by some disease we could have prevented or gotten treatment for....
- What is Eye Herpes?
What is eye herpes?Eye herpes, or ocular herpes, is a recurrent viral infection that affects the eyes. It is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1. It causes an inflammation of the eye, as well as scarring in the cornea.Eye herpes can be transmitted from one person to another when there is a close...
- What is Cataract Surgery?
The exact cause of cataracts is not known. Nevertheless, it seems that most cataracts are caused by long-term variations in the eye lens protein components which in turn causes cloudiness in the lens. Though not common, cataracts can affect infants and young children due to genetic enzyme...
- What are the Risks to Lasik Eye Surgery?
Lasik eye surgery is a surgical procedure which corrects deteriorating vision by reshaping the surface of the eye, more precisely the corneal layer in such a manner that light enters the eye at the angle appropriate for correct vision. Nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia) and...
- Dr. Christopher David Pelzek M.D.931 Ridge Rd Munster IN 46321
- Dr. Ruchita D Amin M.D.931 Ridge Road Munster IN 46321
- Dr. Divya M. Varu M.D.7905 Calumet Ave Munster IN 46321
- Dr. Binh Quy Nguyen M.D.761 45th Ave Munster IN 46321
- Dr. Jason Andrew Brooks M.D.761 45th Ave Munster IN 46321
- Dr. Christian Scott Klein M.D.7905 S Calumet Munster IN 46321