Henri Parens, MD, is an internationally known child psychiatrist with a private practice in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania. He also works at Thomas Jefferson University, training and supervising others in the art of child psychiatry and human behavior. He has written several books, including The Development of Aggression in Early Childhood, and Aggression in Our Children: Coping with it Constructively. Dr. Parens has special clinical interest in childhood aggression, characterizing it into 4 types in a landmark study. He is also the creator of a public television series on parenting.
Education and Training
Tulane University School of Medicine
Henri Parens's Expert Contributions
Your brother should certainly be evaluated by a psychiatrist who can provide both psychodynamic psychotherapy and medication as may be needed by a given patient. OCD is highly variable in every patient who suffers from it. The question of cure of OCD is problematic. It is due to an inborn disposition in your brother which is likely to be activated by stressful events and/or life conditions. OCD can be moderated by reduction of life stresses and, generally, combinations of psychotherapy and medication can more or less reduce symptoms and are the best way to go. OCD does not tend to disappear on its own. Good luck. Henri Parens, MD READ MORE
In order to relieve some of the pressure you are putting on your brain is to consciously take breaks from straining. that is, the best exercise for a stressed brain is take breaks from the work and stress. Take ten minutes off every hour, like we did when I was in the Military. Go to the bathroom; take a 5 minutes stretch period by getting up and doing some physical exercise. During 10 or so hours, take at least 2 or even 3, 20-minute naps (no more than 20 minutes or you'll go into deeper sleep which will not be restful). Believe it or not, taking breaks will make you more productive and reduce the stress on your brain and the rest of you. Good luck. Henri Parens, MD READ MORE
You certainly can. A psychiatrist will not recommend meds if the patient s symptoms do not require such. READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Professor of Child Psychiatry and Human Behavior - Thomas Jefferson University -
- Arnold Lucius Gesell Prize, 2008
- Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine (General Psychiatry)
- Lankenau Hospital
- Univ. of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Child Psychiatry)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Psychiatric Association, International Psychoanalytic Association, Association for Child Analysis
Articles and Publications
- Over 230 Publications, 20 Books, 11 of which he authored
What do you attribute your success to?
His Passion for Helping People, His Education and Experience
Hobbies / Sports
- Classical Music, Football, Exercise
Favorite professional publications
- International Journal of Applied Psychoanalytic Study
Henri Parens's Practice location
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania 19004Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Henri Parens | Psychiatrist | Psychiatry
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Henri Parens's reviewsWrite Review
- Are Stimulants Good for My Child?
Most parents whose children suffer from the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) reject the consumption of caffeinated drinks. They often think that such drinks could worsen their children’s symptoms. So why do medical doctors prescribe sedatives to kids experiencing severe ADHD...
- What Is Disorganized Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder involving a breakdown that drastically affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves. The disorder has five subtypes, one of which is disorganized schizophrenia. Its very name implies the typical and predominant characteristics by which it is identified:...
- Everything You Need To Know About Multiple Sclerosis
CausesMS is the result of an abnormal response of the body’s immune system. This response results in an attack on the central nervous system — the brain, spinal cord and optic nerve. Specifically the immune system attacks the protective coating around the nerve fibers — myelin — creating...
- What Is Euthymia?
IntroductionA person is often regarded as when in the longitudinal course of mood disturbances, the threshold of a disorder is not met. People with bipolar disorder may spend most of their time in the state of mania, depression, or in a mixed state, while the rest are in euthymia. Certain...
- What Are Different Cognitive Behavioral Techniques?
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is an effective way of treating several mental conditions such as:...
- Trypophobia and Other Strange Phobias
A phobia can be defined as a debilitating and overwhelming fear of a situation, object, animal, feeling, or place. Phobias are more evident compared to "fear" and normally occur when an individual has an unrealistic or exaggerated sense of danger about an object or situation. In case a phobia gets...
- Paul Jay Fink191 Presidential Boulevard Bala Cynwyd Pennsylvania 19004
- Dr. Allen Y. Masry M.D.141 South Blackhorse Pike Blackwood New Jersey 08012
- Dr. Susanne Inez Steinberg MD351 New Albany Road Moorestown NJ 08057
- Dr. Ramesh B. Eluri M.D.4641 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia PA 19124
- Dr. Renata Angelini MD5300 W HILLSBORO BLVD coconut creek FL 33073
- Dr. Edward H Tobe DO PA1001 B Greentree Executive Campus Marlton NJ 08053