Joseph C. McCarthy, MD, FAAOS, works at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston as Vice Chairman of the Orthopedics Department. He specializes in total hip replacements, neck and spinal surgery, and revised hip arthroplasty. Board certified in orthopedic surgery, Dr. McCarthy has been practicing for nearly 40 years, and has contributed a plethora of medical publications to his field. Director of the Kaplan Center for Joint Reconstruction and Newton Wellesley Hospital, Dr. McCarthy has the skill and ability to maintain a leadership position.
Education and Training
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS
- The role of hip arthroscopy: useful adjunct or devil's tool?
- Acetabular dysplasia: a paradigm of arthroscopic examination of chondral injuries.
- The nonarthritic hip score: reliable and validated.
- The diagnosis and treatment of labral and chondral injuries.
- Hip arthroscopy: when it is and when it is not indicated.
- Arthroscopic intervention in early hip disease.
- Constrained acetabular components in complex revision total hip arthroplasty.
- Hip arthroscopy: indications, outcomes, and complications.
- Proximal fixation with a modular stem in complex revision THA.
- Workforce analysis in orthopaedic surgery: how can we improve the accuracy of our predictions?
- Complex revision total hip arthroplasty with modular stems at a mean of 14 years.
- Tensile strain in the anterior part of the acetabular labrum during provocative maneuvering of the normal hip.
- A proximally coated beaded stem minimum 5-year follow-up.
- Joseph C. Mccarthy, MD, on "Combined hip arthroscopy and limited open osteochondroplasty for anterior femoroacetabular impingement" by John C. Clohisy, MD, et al.
- What factors influence long-term survivorship after hip arthroscopy?
- A resident survey study of orthopedic fellowship specialty decision making and views on arthroplasty as a career.
- Career plans of current orthopaedic residents with a focus on sex-based and
- History of hip arthroscopy: challenges and opportunities.
- Efficacy of hip arthroscopy in the management of synovial chondromatosis.
- Technical pearls for hip arthroscopy in the management of synovial chondromatosis.
- Intra-abdominal fluid extravasation during hip arthroscopy: a survey of the MAHORN group.
- The acetabular labrum regulates fluid circulation of the hip joint during functional activities.
- Femoroacetabular impingement negates the acetabular labral seal during pivoting maneuvers but not gait.
- Preoperative erythropoietin alpha reduces postoperative transfusions in THA and TKA but may not be cost-effective.
- Cartilage Status at Time of Arthroscopy Predicts Failure in Patients With Hip Dysplasia.
- Assessing outcomes following arthroscopic labral debridement-what can the IHOT-33 reveal?
- Do Neuromuscular Alterations Exist for Patients With Acetabular Labral Tears During Function?
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Vice Chairman, Orthopedics, Massachusetts General Hosptial -
- Director of Kaplan Center for Joint Reconstruction at Newton Wellesley Hospital -
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Tufts New England Medical Center
- Tufts Medical Center
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Tufts Medical Center (Orthopedic Surgery)
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Fellow 1981
- Georgetown University
- Massachusetts General Hospital
Professional Society Memberships
- International Society of Hip Arthroscopy (President)
Articles and Publications
- 3 Textbooks, 13 Book Chapters
What do you attribute your success to?
- His Commitment to Lifelong Learning and a Strong Commitment to Improve Patient Care, Ongoing Day to Day Commitment to Surgical Duties
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Newton Wellesley Hospital
Dr. Joseph C. McCarthy MD's Practice location
Boston, Massachusetts 02114Get Direction
NEWTON, MA 02462Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Joseph C. McCarthy MD | Orthopedist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Joseph C. McCarthy MD's reviewsWrite Review
- Plantar Fasciitis: Treatment and Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis
Meaning of Plantar FasciitisOne of the most common causes of heel pain is called plantar fasciitis. A flat band of ligament or tissue connects the heel bone to the toes. This ligament is called the plantar fascia, which also provides support to the arch of the foot. If the plantar fascia is...
- What Is Saddle Paresthesia?
Saddle ParesthesiaA set of severe sciatica symptoms are described in saddle paresthesia. These symptoms can occur in the buttocks, perineum, and groin. Sometimes, this condition is also referred to as saddle anesthesia. When there is a sensation of tingling and numbness in the affected area, the...
- Hip Pain: Causes and Treatment
Any pain that is felt around the hip joint is usually referred to as hip pain. This is a very common condition and often confusing, as there are several reasons for the pain in the hip region. Hip pain can make everyday activities more difficult. Many people feel a snapping sound in the hip joint....
- What Therapies Help to Treat Arthritis
Arthritis is a term used to describe about two hundred different types of ailments that affect the joints and its cartilage and surrounding connective tissue. These diseases are progressive degenerative diseases and can be very painful. Because arthritis has such a vast range of causes and symptoms,...
- 10 Tips on Living with Bursitis
Bursitis is a condition that causes inflammation and pain around the joints. This can happen in the tendons, muscles, or even bones. It is brought by inflammation of the bursa. Bursa is a fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion around your joints. Usually, when your joints are subjected to excess...
- Know Your Risk for Bone Fractures
Have you ever received a bone density test? This test is crucial for women who are experiencing menopause, as it tests how thin and frail their bones are. One might be prescribed medications to help this condition.“Bone density tests are good indicators for the risks of fractures”, says...
- Dr. James T. McGlowan Jr. MD110 Liberty St Brockton MA 02301
- Dr. Richard Morales Ozuna M.D.1 Orthopedics Dr Peabody Massachusetts 01960
- Dr. Robert Kyle Fullick MD6400 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030
- Dr. Michael S. Kain M.D.41 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01805
- Dr. Daniel C. Snyder M.D.2000 Washington St. Newton Massachusetts 2462
- Dr. Virginia Mooney Jones MD1265 Hwy 54 W Fayetteville GA 30214