Dr. Bryan Philip Keegan D.M.D.
Dentist2014 Tollgate Road Suite 100 Bel Air Maryland, 21015
Dr. Bryan Keegan is a Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon dental specialist practicing in Bel Air, Nottingham, Baltimore, Perry Hall and Abingdon Maryland. Dr. Keegan specializes in all aspects of office and hospital based oral surgery, including wisdom tooth management, dental implants, jaw grafting and reconstruction, TMJ/TMD, Sleep Apnea, oral pathology and oral lesions, surgery to assist orthodontics and maxillofacial trauma. He uses state of the art equipment and techniques, emphasizing safety, accuracy and comfort, including 3-D modeling and computer assisted surgery. Dr. Keegan has significant experience in all aspects of Anesthesia and anxiety reduction. He holds a General Anesthesia permit for the State of Maryland, in addition to his dental license.
Education and Training
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Dr. Bryan Philip Keegan D.M.D.'s Expert Contributions
How long does it take for a dental implant to osseointegrate to the bone?
The practical aspect of the question is when can the implant be restored. Osseointegration refers to the microscopic growth of bone intimately around the implant. In general on a healthy patient, it takes about 4 months for implants to heal enough to withstand the forced of chewing. In some cases, a longer period of time is warranted if there are medical conditions or in areas that were reconstructed at the same time. Some implants can be restored immediately upon placement if biting forces are reduced or for some dentures, where forces are less than in patients with opposing natural teeth. . Typically, these will need a final prosthesis later on. READ MORE
Can wisdom teeth cause your gums to swell?
Yes, wisdom teeth through inflammation, infection, or pathology can cause the gum tissue around a wisdom tooth to swell. You should have a professional such as your dentist or an OMS (oral and maxillofacial surgeon) examine the area and review radiographs to advise on proper treatment. Most commonly, as bacteria and food get trapped under tissue around a wisdom tooth , the gums get inflamed causing pericoronitis, which requires treatment. READ MORE
How long after wisdom tooth removal should I not eat?
You can eat and drink right away after wisdom tooth removal. Of course if you were sedated, you should have an escort and wait till you are alert. You will be numb so be careful to night bite your lips or tongue. It is best to start with softer mild foods. Drink plenty of liquids. Having something to eat can help tolerate any prescriptions such as pain medicine or antibiotics. Pasta, eggs soup, yogurt and oatmeal can all be on the menu. Avoid really chewy foods like bagels, hard foods like chips, and be careful with small seeds or nuts for up to two weeks.. READ MORE
How can I stop my husband from grinding his teeth in his sleep?
Many patients can stop this habit and minimize damage to the teeth with a night guard bite splint. These should be custom fit and made of hard plastic. Athletic mouth guards and over the counter ones tend not to work well and are hard to keep clean. Dentists can easily make a comfortable one. Some patients benefit from medicines that act on central neurotransmitters and reduce the grinding tendency. Stress reduction techniques and any major bite discrepancies- like a high filling- should be evaluated. Significant bite modification by a dentist should be avoided. Bite splints are reversible and should be tried first. READ MORE
What should be done for a chipped "baby tooth"?
Sorry that happened. Your son should be evaluated to see if there is any damage to the root of the tooth or to the developing permanent tooth. If there is a red spot, the nerve may be exposed and can get infected. If the baby tooth is not mobile or discolored, that is unlikely. Nevertheless, he should be examined. If the gums get swollen, or the tooth darkens in color, it may require removal. If the edge is sharp, a dentist can file it down painlessly. READ MORE
How effective is clove oil to reduce tooth pain?
Clove oil is effective. Most dentists use a eugenol solution, which acts in the same way. Pure clove oil can irritate the tissues and has a higher potential for allergic reactions. The oil/ solution is placed over the cavity or exposed nerve of the tooth. It will provide only temporary relief. Such relief of pain is indicative of pulpal inflammation in the tooth and the tooth will require root canal or extraction. Oil of clove was famously used in a scene with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier that set folks fears of dentistry back many years in the book and movie "Marathon Man." READ MORE
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Key peptide processing enzymes are expressed by breast cancer cells.
- Oxytocin- and vasopressin-induced growth of human small-cell lung cancer is mediated by the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway.
- Lesion terminology.
- Cellular schwannoma of the mandible: a case report with ultrastructural and immunohistochemical observations.
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Guest Lecturer and Site Director, University of Maryland -
- Chief of the Department of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore and Division Chief of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery -
- Oral Health Advisory Committee State of MAryland, Department of Health and Mental Hygeine 1998 - 2004
- Top Dentist-Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon 2016 Baltimore Magazine
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Dentists
- Fellow, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Member Maryland State Dental Association
Professional Society Memberships
- Pierre Fauchard Academy, Maryland Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Middle Atlantic Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, The American Dental Association, the Maryland State Dental Association, and the Harford-Cecil County Dental Society
What do you attribute your success to?
- Commitment to Patient Care, based on Listening and Continued Education
Dr. Bryan Philip Keegan D.M.D.'s Practice location
Bel Air, Maryland 21015Get Direction
Baltimore, MD 21236Get Direction
GLEN BURNIE, MD 21061Get Direction
Dr. Bryan Philip Keegan D.M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Keegan
- Are Dentures the Solution to Your Dental Problems?
What are dentures?A denture is a device prepared by laboratory technicians in order to replace missing teeth. Dentures are a good option for patients without any teeth, or for patients with some missing teeth who want to have a beautiful smile again. Dentures are not only meant for cosmetic...
- Mason Motz Becomes A Chatterbox Once His Sleep Apnea Was Fixed
Mason Motz is a 6-year-old Texas youngster who now sings his favorite songs and talks to everyone who will listen to him. He is always asking his mom about her day and discussing the world with his brother. Every day, he leaves his family astounded, because, for over five years of his life, Mason...
- Invasive Dental Treatments May Increase the Risk of Heart Disease
Invasive dental treatments, like tooth extractions, may increase the risk of heart disease or stroke, according to a new study published in, Annals of Internal Medicine. The results show the risk as a short-term one, which can return back to normal after six months.Earlier studies have shown a link...
- How to Get a White, Bright & Vibrant Smile
It has become easier to remove stains from teeth without having to pay large sums of money. Local pharmacies and drug stores sell teeth whitening kits that are cost effective. Most of these products do not cause any side effects if the individual follows instructions correctly.Tips to remember while...
- Sleep Apnea CPAP Machine: Gel, Cleaner, and Price
Sleep apnea is a sleep breathing disorder. It is characterized by repetitive pauses in breathing, which may occur several times per hour and may last for 10 seconds. It is usually a chronic condition. It results in poor sleep quality and excessive sleepiness in daytime. The most common type is...
- Plaque Attack: Habits That Lead to Plaque Formation
It goes without saying that good habits are the key for healthy teeth without plaque. Richard Price, DMD, spokesman for the American Dental Association, says that having teeth without plaque is easy. One needs to be consistent with healthy habits to have the best results.Plaque is a film of bacteria...
- Mohamed Lamin Saccoh413 Pulaski Highway Joppa Maryland 21085
- Dr. Dean George Gekas D.D.S.20 W Aylesbury Rd Lutherville Timonium MD 21093
- Isata Panda20 E Timonium Rd, Ste 210 Lutherville- Timonium MD 21093
- Dr. Mohamed Saccoh D. D. S413 Pulaski Hwy Joppa MD 21085
- Dr. William Martin III D.D.S.8417 Bellona Ln Towson MD 21204
- Dr. Dalia Tadros DDS7600 Osler Dr Towson Maryland 21204