Leonard Barry Smith
Dentist10601 Southport Road Southwest Suite 314 Calgary Alberta, T2W 3M6
Leonard Barry Smith, DDS, MSc, FRCD(C), FAAPD, is a leader in the field of dentistry based out of the Calgary, Alberta area of Canada. Dr. Smith having over 45 years of experience in pediatric dentistry is the proud owner of the private dental facility, Dental Care for Children. Dr. Smith also is the founder of a non-profit association that promotes healthy smiles amongst the children of Alberta, The Foundation for a Healthy Mouth, Healthy Child. The mission of the foundation is to conduct research, teach prevention, and promote diagnosis and treatment of Early Childhood Caries (ECC) world-wide. Dr. Smith believes in sharing his knowledge and skills across the globe, speaking locally to his colleagues and professional groups, to attending mission trips to eliminate ECC in the US as well. For all of his outstanding achievements and dedication to his young patients, Dr. Smith has had the recognition as a Life Diplomate to the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry; along with being named Fellow various prestigious dental associations.
Leonard Barry Smith's Videos
Education and Training
Univeristy of Alberta
Leonard Barry Smith's Expert Contributions
I had some bleeding in my gums while brushing. Could it be serious?
This might indicate that there is some inflammation due to inefficient brushing and flossing. Should it become generalized and affecting all of the gingival tissues then it should be checked by a Professional to ensure there is no evidence of any other systemic disorder READ MORE
Are electric toothbrushes any better for the teeth?
they are not necessarily better..its a question of efficiency when cleaning each surface of each tooth ..if there are difficulties using one style try the other style and use the one that you can use to do the best job. READ MORE
For small kids how frequent should dentist visits be?
She should have been seen for her first visit when she was 6 months no older than 12 months of age! She should be seen at least twice a year for regular checkups and more frequently if there are reasons to do so. READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Former Chief, Alberta Children's Hospital -
- Speaks Locally for Colleagues and Professional Groups -
- The Integrity Award, Rotary Club International Downtown Calgary Chapter
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- The Foundation For A Healthy Mouth Healthy Child
- The Society For A Healthy Mouth Healthy Child(Alberta)
- Ohio State University, Master of Science in Pediatric Dentistry
Professional Society Memberships
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Articles and Publications
- Has been Published
- Former Dental Editor for Family Health Magazine in Calgary
What do you attribute your success to?
- Enjoying what he does, and also caring for pediatric and special needs patients.
- Founder of The Foundation for a Healthy Mouth, Healthy Child; a non-profit society for healthy mouths and children in Alberta, Canada. He has also attended a dental mission to the US to reduce and eliminate Early Childhood Caries.
Hobbies / Sports
- Hapkido, Cycling, Time with Family
Favorite professional publications
- Journal of Dental Research, Clinical Journal of Periodontology, Pediatrics, Child Health
Leonard Barry Smith's Practice location
Calgary, Alberta T2W 3M6Get Direction
- Can Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Help Prevent Periodontitis?
According to a new study published in the Journal of the American Diabetic Association, food containing polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) may help to prevent gum disease. Periodontitis is the most common type of gum disease in which the gum separates from the teeth, allowing the bacteria to...
- Are Dentures the Solution to Your Dental Problems?
What are dentures?A denture is a device prepared by laboratory technicians in order to replace missing teeth. Dentures are a good option for patients without any teeth, or for patients with some missing teeth who want to have a beautiful smile again. Dentures are not only meant for cosmetic...
- What Are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers give patients a beautiful smile. They are very thin, porcelain layers attached to the front of the teeth. Dental veneers are a good solution for the correction of any defects in the position, color, or shape of the teeth.Dental veneers can be made with direct or indirect composites....
- What Are the Causes of Receding Gums?
As the margin of teeth recede, the roots of the teeth are exposed. Receding gums are a very common oral problem and are of concern as it may be the warning signs of many gum diseases. Gum deterioration occurs gradually with time and creates small pockets or gaps between the tooth and the gum, which...
- What Are the Causes and Symptoms of Dry Socket?
One of the most common complications after the removal of a tooth is dry socket. Dry socket is more common with the extraction of wisdom teeth. Although the condition causes great discomfort, it is fully treatable.In most cases, the pain and discomfort experienced following a tooth extraction is...
- Which Doctors Treat Diabetes?
There are many healthcare providers who can diagnose and treat diabetes. While most people may see a primary care doctor if they start having symptoms of diabetes, other physicians and specialists can also help monitor the condition.Doctors who treat diabetesThe following are doctors and specialists...
- Georgie M. Rosenbaum388 Country Hills Blvd NE Calgary Alberta T3K5J6
- Emmanuel V. Enguito790 Coventry Dr NE Calgary Alberta T3K 4K4
- Joe L. Holland19369 Sheriff King Street Silverado Alberta T2X 0T9
- Rita DhaliwalChestermere Drive 22 Calgary AB T1X 1M1
- Dina Moussa570 64 Ave NE Calgary AB T2K 6H9
- David Cichon117 Southport Atrium 10333 Southport Road S.W Calgary AB T2W 3X6