I currently split my time between an academic setting/practice at the University of Maryland and Shock Trauma, and one of our community hospitals. I am board certified in Orthopaedic Spine, and am particularly interested in pediatric scoliosis and spinal trauma.
Education and Training
Upstate Medical University/ College of Health Professions 2005
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, 2011-Present -
- Merit Scholar
- Summa cum Laude with Honors, Valedictorian, St. Lawrence University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Special Academic Commendation, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Featured in US News and World Report
- University of Maryland
- Adult and Pediatric Spine
- University of Maryland
- Rush University (Spine Surgery)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
Articles and Publications
- please see CV
What do you attribute your success to?
Excellent Mentorship in medical school and residency.
Areas of research
Spinal Trauma and deformity
While not a direct initiative, I am an active supporter of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. The Fund and the organization are Baltimore based, and support and aid young adults with cancer. The cause and its' mission are near and dear to my heart.
Teaching and speaking
1. Actively involved in resident and fellow education and teaching at the University of Maryland, including coordinating and organizing monthly Spine Journal club
2. National research presentations at Global Spine Congress and NASS Annual meeting
3. International research presentation at IMAST Annual Meeting
4. Local Grand Rounds and invited speaker on University of Maryland Medical Center campus
Hobbies / Sports
- Family Time, Exercise
Favorite professional publications
- University of Maryland Medical Center
Dr. Kelley E. Banagan MD's Practice location
Baltimore, Maryland 21201Get Direction
Chicago, IL 60612Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Kelley E. Banagan MD | Orthopedist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Kelley E. Banagan MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Banagan
- Everything You Need to Know About Spinal Stenosis Surgery
It is perfectly normal to feel nervous before a major surgical operation. In fact, it would be unusual to find a patient awaiting surgery who is not worried at all. The best way to alleviate some of the concerns is to let them know exactly what to expect beforehand by addressing some of the burning...
- What Is Sacroiliitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Home Remedies
What is sacroiliitis?An inflammation of one or both sacroiliac joints is known as sacroiliitis. This condition happens when the lower spine and pelvis connect. In other words, we can say that a sacroiliac joint is the union of the sacrum and ilium. The sacroiliac joint is bound by thick ligaments...
- What to Expect in Laminectomy and Spinal Fusion
Decompressive laminectomy is done to release pressure exerted on the roots of the nerves found on the lower back. The condition is mostly brought by old age. There are, however, other reasons your surgeon may suggest surgery. These include herniated discs, traumas, and tumors. In case you are going...
- What Is Whiplash? Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
When people suffer from a whiplash, they experience severe pain in the lower neck region, which can spread over their shoulders, arms, and head. They can also suffer from headaches, numbness, and a painful stiff neck. The pain gets accelerated faster in the area around the neck, which needs to be...
- What To Expect After Carpal Tunnel Surgery
What is carpal tunnel surgery?Carpal tunnel surgery is a surgery that is performed on the hand to correct any problems that you may have with your carpal tunnels. The surgery can be performed as an open surgery or the doctor can use a less invasive approach.There are so many things and changes that...
- Hip Pain: Causes and Treatment
Any pain that is felt around the hip joint is usually referred to as hip pain. This is a very common condition and often confusing, as there are several reasons for the pain in the hip region. Hip pain can make everyday activities more difficult. Many people feel a snapping sound in the hip joint....
- Dr. John H. Wilckens M.D.4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224
- Dr. Zvezdomir P. Zamfirov M.D.1600 Crain Highway South Glen Burnie Maryland 21061
- Dr. Benjamin M. Petre M.D.2000 Medical Parkway Annapolis Maryland 21401
- Mr. Darioush Nasseri M.D., P.A.5601 Loch Raven Blvd. Baltimore Maryland 21239
- Dr. Raymond A Pensy M.D.2200 Kernan Dr Gwynn Oak MD 21207
- Dr. Carl Johnson M.D.10753 Falls Rd Lutherville Timonium MD 21093