Dr. Blecher specializes in Primary Care Sports Medicine and has been practicing at the prestigious Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI) for 10 years where he has had the opportunity to care for a wide range of patients. From Little League to high school, to collegiate, to elite and professional athletes; Olympic champions, weekend warriors and award-winning entertainers have all entrusted their care to Dr Blecher to recover from their injuries in a quick, non-surgical manner.
In addition to providing medical orthopedic care to athletes of all ages, Dr. Blecher specializes in sports health and all medical conditions related to sports participation. He provides pre-participation physicals, exercise and rehabilitation prescriptions, and has an interest in nutritional and sports supplements. He lectures extensively on current sports medicine topics, such as cartilage disorders and early arthritis in the athlete. As a runner himself, he also has a special interest in running injuries. Another area of interest is concussion in the athlete. Dr Blecher has years of experience evaluating and managing concussions on the sidelines as well as in the office. He has lectured extensively on the subject at many grand rounds and national conferences, such as the National Summit on Sports Concussion. He is also one of only three Certified ImPACT Consultants in the greater Los Angeles area. Dr Blecher has also served as an expert witness in landmark cases involving athletes with head injuries.
Dr. Blecher is a leader in the growing field of regenerative medicine for joints, tendons, and ligaments. Using biologic techniques, such as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy and Regenexx as well as injections and advanced imaging, such as musculoskeletal ultrasound, Dr. Blecher is able to accelerate healing for many acute athletic and orthopedic injuries. He provides nonoperative, minimally invasive treatment for many musculoskeletal injuries that would otherwise require surgery or become chronic untreatable conditions.
Currently, Dr. Blecher serves as a team physician for Los Angeles Valley College, College of the Canyons (Valencia, CA), and Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks, CA). He has also served as a medical consultant for ESPN and as the treating physician for the Summer X-Games in Los Angeles as well as the WTA LA Women's Tennis Championships. Dr. Blecher is also the medical director of the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine at SCOI.
Education and Training
Williams College B.A. 1995
Tufts University School of Medicine M.D. 1999
American Board of Family Medicine- Family Medicine
Family MedicineAmerican Board of Family MedicineABFM- Sports Medicine- 1999
Sports MedicineAmerican Board of Orthopaedic Sports MedicineABOS- 2003
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional, and National Public Speaking -
- Guest Lecturer and Instructor, North Ridge Medical School, California State University, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry -
- Pioneer Certificate, American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Top Doctor 2019 Los Angeles Magazine
- Top Sports Medicine Doctor Castle Connolly
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Physical Therapy
- House Call Service
- Regenerative Medicine
- Prp Treatment
- Stem Cell Treatment
- Concussion Management
- Concussion Baseline Testing
- Sports Medicine
- Pre Participation Physical Exams
- Casting & Splinting
- Casting and Braces On-Site
- Casting And Splinting Sprains And Broken Bones
- Physical & Aquatic Therapy
- Physical & Occupational Therapy (PT/OT)
- Physical Exams (sports, Camp, College)
- Physical Exams For Sports, School And Summer Camp
- Physical Exams, Sports Medicine
- Professional Member American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 1999
- Professional Member American Academy of Family Practice 1999
- Professional Member American Institute for Ultrasound in Medicine
- UCLA Kaiser Family Medicine 2002
- Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine 2003
- Sports Medicine, Regenerative Medicine, Orthopedics, Concussion
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (Sports Medicine)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Society, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine,
Articles and Publications
Has been Published
What do you attribute your success to?
Always wanting to learn the cutting edge techniques. He doesn't settle for what is available in the current time.
Areas of research
Stem cell treatments, Sports Concussions, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
Teaching and speaking
- Adjunct Instructor of Clinical Medicine at Keck School of Medicine, USC Clinical Preceptor
- Instructor Northridge Family Medicine Residency Program – David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA
- Lectures Given
- Tendinopathies, PRP Treatment and Regenerative Medicine
- Concussions in Athletes
- Evaluating the Kinetic Chain in the Athlete
- Viscosupplementation in the athlete
- Patellofemoral Disorders
- Knee Contusions
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Shin Splints and Stress Fractures
- Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes
- Muscle and Strength Physiology
- Athlete’s Nutrition, Ergogenic Aids and Sports Supplements
- The Pediatric Athlete
- Sports Rehabilitation
- Exercise Immunology, Acute Illness and Blood-borne Pathogens in Sports
- Skin Diseases in Wrestlers
- Sports Dermatology
- Altitude and Dive Medicine
Hobbies / Sports
- Soccer, Tennis, Skiing, SCUBA, Racquetball
Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D.'s Practice location
Van Nuys, California 91405Get Direction
Beverly Hills, CA 90210Get Direction
Valencia, CA 91354Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D. | Sports Medicine Specialist | Sports Medicine
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Blecher
- What Are the Benefits of Kettlebell Workouts?
Kettlebell exercises are one of the most popular fitness trends since it is accessible and more practical than other programs. It is equally beneficial to an athlete and to the common man who is trying to burn more calories or become more fit. With the help of a good instructor or trainer one can...
- 10 Tips on Living with Bursitis
Bursitis is a condition that causes inflammation and pain around the joints. This can happen in the tendons, muscles, or even bones. It is brought by inflammation of the bursa. Bursa is a fluid-filled sac that acts as a cushion around your joints. Usually, when your joints are subjected to excess...
- Different Types of Physicians Explained
Doctors or physicians are categorized according to different factors including medical specialties and subspecialties. Most doctors specialize in a specific area of medicine. This article provides a summary of the different types of doctors in the medical field. AllergistsAllergists are also...
- Animal Farms May Spread Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
A report, in BMC Microbiology, shows that antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are capable of producing life-threatening diseases could be originating from animal farms. Antibiotics are commonly used farms to promote the growth of animals. “The insects in the animal farms, including flies and...
- What Is Kinesiology Tape Used For?
What is a kinesiology tape?Kinesiology tape is a thin, elastic adhesive tape made from cotton or cotton/nylon blend. The cotton strip is comfortable and hypoallergenic without topics ingredients or medications. Several different brands of tapes are available. The common brand names of kinesiology...
- What Are the Warning Signs of Hypertensive Crisis?
High blood pressure or hypertension is a chronic condition that may lead to other complications, including organ damage, gradually over a period of time. The blood pressure may become very high and severe all of a sudden resulting in a condition referred to as hypertensive crisis. Hypertensive...
- Dr. Neal Selim Elattrache MD6801 Park Terrace Los Angeles CA 90045
- Dr. James E. Tibone MD1520 SAN PABLO ST LOS ANGELES CA 90033
- Dr. Gary Brazina M. D.5450 Lincoln Blvd Playa Vista CA 900494
- Dr. Ronald Perelman M.D.18531 Roscoe Blvd Northridge CA 91324
- Charles L Herring M.D.8930 Sepulveda Blvd. Los Angeles CA 90045
- Dr. Richard D Ferkel M.D.6815 Noble Ave Van Nuys CA 91405