Dr. Blecher specializes in Primary Care Sports Medicine and has been practicing at the prestigious Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI) for 10 years where he has had the opportunity to care for a wide range of patients. From Little League to high school, to collegiate, to elite and professional athletes; Olympic champions, weekend warriors and award-winning entertainers have all entrusted their care to Dr Blecher to recover from their injuries in a quick, non-surgical manner.
In addition to providing medical orthopedic care to athletes of all ages, Dr. Blecher specializes in sports health and all medical conditions related to sports participation. He provides pre-participation physicals, exercise and rehabilitation prescriptions, and has an interest in nutritional and sports supplements. He lectures extensively on current sports medicine topics, such as cartilage disorders and early arthritis in the athlete. As a runner himself, he also has a special interest in running injuries. Another area of interest is concussion in the athlete. Dr Blecher has years of experience evaluating and managing concussions on the sidelines as well as in the office. He has lectured extensively on the subject at many grand rounds and national conferences, such as the National Summit on Sports Concussion. He is also one of only three Certified ImPACT Consultants in the greater Los Angeles area. Dr Blecher has also served as an expert witness in landmark cases involving athletes with head injuries.
Dr. Blecher is a leader in the growing field of regenerative medicine for joints, tendons, and ligaments. Using biologic techniques, such as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy and Regenexx as well as injections and advanced imaging, such as musculoskeletal ultrasound, Dr. Blecher is able to accelerate healing for many acute athletic and orthopedic injuries. He provides nonoperative, minimally invasive treatment for many musculoskeletal injuries that would otherwise require surgery or become chronic untreatable conditions.
Currently, Dr. Blecher serves as a team physician for Los Angeles Valley College, College of the Canyons (Valencia, CA), and Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks, CA). He has also served as a medical consultant for ESPN and as the treating physician for the Summer X-Games in Los Angeles as well as the WTA LA Women's Tennis Championships. Dr. Blecher is also the medical director of the Center for Rehabilitation Medicine at SCOI.
Education and Training
Williams College B.A. 1995
Tufts University School of Medicine M.D. 1999
American Board of Family Medicine- Family Medicine
Family MedicineAmerican Board of Family MedicineABFM- Sports Medicine- 1999
Sports MedicineAmerican Board of Orthopaedic Sports MedicineABOS- 2003
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional, and National Public Speaking -
- Guest Lecturer and Instructor, North Ridge Medical School, California State University, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry -
- Pioneer Certificate, American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Top Doctor 2019 Los Angeles Magazine
- Top Sports Medicine Doctor Castle Connolly
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Physical Therapy
- House Call Service
- Regenerative Medicine
- Prp Treatment
- Stem Cell Treatment
- Concussion Management
- Concussion Baseline Testing
- Sports Medicine
- Pre Participation Physical Exams
- Casting & Splinting
- Casting and Braces On-Site
- Casting And Splinting Sprains And Broken Bones
- Physical & Aquatic Therapy
- Physical & Occupational Therapy (PT/OT)
- Physical Exams (sports, Camp, College)
- Physical Exams For Sports, School And Summer Camp
- Physical Exams, Sports Medicine
- Professional Member American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 1999
- Professional Member American Academy of Family Practice 1999
- Professional Member American Institute for Ultrasound in Medicine
- UCLA Kaiser Family Medicine 2002
- Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine 2003
- Sports Medicine, Regenerative Medicine, Orthopedics, Concussion
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (Sports Medicine)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Society, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine,
Articles and Publications
Has been Published
What do you attribute your success to?
Always wanting to learn the cutting edge techniques. He doesn't settle for what is available in the current time.
Areas of research
Stem cell treatments, Sports Concussions, Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
Teaching and speaking
- Adjunct Instructor of Clinical Medicine at Keck School of Medicine, USC Clinical Preceptor
- Instructor Northridge Family Medicine Residency Program – David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA
- Lectures Given
- Tendinopathies, PRP Treatment and Regenerative Medicine
- Concussions in Athletes
- Evaluating the Kinetic Chain in the Athlete
- Viscosupplementation in the athlete
- Patellofemoral Disorders
- Knee Contusions
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Shin Splints and Stress Fractures
- Sudden Cardiac Death in Athletes
- Muscle and Strength Physiology
- Athlete’s Nutrition, Ergogenic Aids and Sports Supplements
- The Pediatric Athlete
- Sports Rehabilitation
- Exercise Immunology, Acute Illness and Blood-borne Pathogens in Sports
- Skin Diseases in Wrestlers
- Sports Dermatology
- Altitude and Dive Medicine
Hobbies / Sports
- Soccer, Tennis, Skiing, SCUBA, Racquetball
- Valley Presbyterian Hospital
Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D.'s Practice location
Van Nuys, California 91405Get Direction
Beverly Hills, CA 90210Get Direction
Valencia, CA 91354Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D. | Sports Medicine Specialist | Sports Medicine
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Andrew M Blecher M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Blecher
- What Causes Dehydration?
Humans have approximately 60 percent of water in the body. Even if 1.5-2 percent of that water is lost, mild dehydration will start, which can lead to severe dehydration requiring immediate medical attention. Because your mood, energy level, and coordination deteriorate with the loss of body fluids,...
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: How to Combat Pain with a Proper Diet
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is characterized by inflammation and pain in the joints, which may be acute in some cases. There are diets that can reduce the inflammation and control the symptoms. These diets, which include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, olive oil, and fish, will also improve the...
- How Are Shin Splints Diagnosed?
Shin splints are very common among athletes and those who carry out medium to high-intensity workouts. It is also known as the medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS). Shin splints are usually painful during exercise, but with time and without the proper treatment, the pain will continue to persist...
- The Common Causes of Knee Pain
Knee pain is a common complaint that we hear every day. People may complain of a sudden pain either in one knee or both knees, and most of the time, it is due to either overusing the knee joint or due to an injury. In many cases, you really don’t have to consult a doctor as the pain will...
- What are the Benefits of Plyometrics?
Plyometrics, plyos, or jump training, is an exercise regimen developed to improve power, agility, and speed. These exercises were developed originally for the Olympic athletes to enhance their performance. Now, these rebounding exercises have become very popular among others, particularly for...
- Shin Splints: What Is RICE?
he pain caused by the overuse of the shinbone, which is the large front bone in the lower leg, is known as a shin splint. Shin splints are usually characterized by pain in the inner part of the shin bone or the tibia. Shin splints are also known as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS). This...
- Dr. Neal Selim Elattrache MD6801 Park Terrace Los Angeles CA 90045
- Dr. James E. Tibone MD 90045
- Dr. Gary Brazina M. D.5450 Lincoln Blvd Playa Vista CA 900494
- Dr. Richard D Ferkel M.D.6815 Noble Ave Van Nuys CA 91405
- Charles L Herring M.D.8930 Sepulveda Blvd. Los Angeles CA 90045
- Dr. Yung Han M.D.3185 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles CA 90010