John Minoru Itamura, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, shoulder, elbow and upper extremity trauma. Board certified in orthopedic surgery, he serves patients at Kerian Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in California. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California and also holds a bachelor?s Degree of Science in Biomedical Engineering at USC, where he also spent his internship and residency at USC Medical Center and LA County Hospital. He underwent a fellowship in the shoulder and elbow surgery at the W.B. Carrell Memorial Clinic in Dallas, Texas, followed by yet another fellowship in hand and upper extremity at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Itamura is a team physician for the University of Southern California, USC University Hospital Center for Athletic Medicine, East Los Angeles Community College, and California State University-Los Angeles. He is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the California Orthopedic Association, Global Shoulder Society, and the American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons.
Education and Training
University of Southern California LA
Univ of Southern Ca Sch of Med, Los Angeles Ca 1989
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's Expert Contributions
I am not sure what topic sprays were recommended. I usually recommend rice: rest , ice, compression and elevation. I hope this helps READ MORE
It depends on the type of fracture. The fracture can cause growth plate issues leading to deformity and pain. Swelling may be the onset of an inflammatory type arthritis, too. READ MORE
My brother has been diagnosed with tennis elbow. According to you what will be the best course of treatment?
First of all: -it needs to be examined -it can be referred from other sources like the neck -usually, this can be managed with good physical therapy READ MORE
You mother should absolutely be evaluated in the emergency room. It may need to be reduced under anesthesia. READ MORE
- Latissimus dorsi pedicle flap for coverage of soft tissue defects about the elbow.
- Treatment of soft tissue problems about the elbow.
- Differential diagnosis of shoulder injuries in sports.
- A radiographic study of proximal radius anatomy with implications in radial head replacement.
- Six-month magnetic resonance imaging follow-up of large and massive rotator cuff repairs reinforced with porcine small intestinal submucosa.
- Biologic resurfacing of the glenoid using a meniscal allograft.
- Operative treatment of intra-articular distal humerus fractures.
- The relationship between main elbow flexion skin crease and osseous anatomy of the elbow joint.
- Luggage tag technique of anatomic fixation of displaced acromioclavicular joint separations.
- The influence of the acromioclavicular joint degeneration on supraspinatus outlet impingement and the acromion shape.
- Management of chronic shoulder infections utilizing a fixed articulating antibiotic-loaded spacer.
- Total elbow allografts with collateral ligament reconstruction for posttraumatic elbow injuries.
- Biomechanical evaluation of parallel versus orthogonal plate fixation of intra-articular distal humerus fractures.
- The effect of radial osteotomy on the position of the posterior interosseous nerve.
- Biologic resurfacing of the glenoid with meniscal allograft: long-term results
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Team physician for the University of Southern California, USC University Hospital Center for Athletic Medicine, East Los Angeles Community College, and California State University-Los Angeles -
- L A Co-Usc Med Ctr, Orthopedic Surgery L A Co-Usc Med Ctr, General Surgery
- LA Hospital
- USC Medical Center
- W. B. Carrell Memorial Clinic (Shoulder and Elbow), Massachusetts General Hospital (Hand Surgery)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Association, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, California Orthopedic Association, Global Shoulder Society, and American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
- Strong Sense of Drive
Favorite professional publications
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's Practice location
Los Angeles, California 90033Get Direction
LOS ANGELES, CA 90033Get Direction
Los Angeles, CA 90033Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD | Orthopedist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Itamura
- Top 5 Natural Supplements for Fibromyalgia
What is fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is a medical condition that is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain along with sleep disturbances, memory problems, mood swings, and fatigue. According to studies, fibromyalgia intensifies painful sensations by affecting how the brain processes pain...
- What Is Cervical Spinal Stenosis Surgery?
Cervical spinal stenosis surgery is a surgical treatment used to solve problems of spinal stenosis in the cervical part of the spine. Before even talking about this surgical procedure it is very important to understand what cervical spinal stenosis is first.Cervical spinal stenosis is characterized...
- Can I Walk After a Knee Replacement Surgery?
Yes, you can walk after a knee replacement surgery. The main goal of the surgery is for you to walk using an artificial knee and get back to your normal life. In fact, it is highly recommended that you immediately use your artificial knee.You need to know that walking again will require your...
- How Long Does a Knee Replacement Last?
A knee replacement surgery provides relief for approximately 90 percent of people who are suffering from pain due to knee problems. Most knee replacement procedures are done for the treatment of osteoarthritis. With proper care, your knee implant can last for as long as 20 years. The technology...
- Arthritis: Arthroplasty and Joint Replacement
What is arthroplasty?As the name suggests, arthroplasty is a procedure that is performed on the joints. These procedures are limited. Therefore, arthroplasty is usually the last option for the patient as well as the physician. The purpose of arthroplasty is to repair stiffened joints, relieve pain,...
- Why Does Fibromyalgia Affect More Women?
What is fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder, which involves widespread pain in the muscles and bones along with chronic fatigue and cognitive difficulties. This medical condition is often misdiagnosed because its symptoms are subjective without a clear known cause. A few of the classic...
- Dr. Edward G. Stokes MD610 NORTH CENTRAL AVENUE GLENDALE CA 91203
- A Michael Moheimani M.D.980 Atlantic Ave. Long Beach CA 90813
- Dr. John Thomas Quigley M.D.301 W Huntington Dr Arcadia CA 91007
- Dr. Clive M. Segil M.D.17777 VENTURA BLVD STE 230 ENCINO CA 91316
- Dr. Barth B. Riedel MD1200 N STATE ST LOS ANGELES CA 90033
- Dr. Hooman M. Melamed M.D.13160 Mindanao Way Marina Del Rey California 90292