John Minoru Itamura, MD, is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, shoulder, elbow and upper extremity trauma. Board certified in orthopedic surgery, he serves patients at Kerian Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in California. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California and also holds a bachelor?s Degree of Science in Biomedical Engineering at USC, where he also spent his internship and residency at USC Medical Center and LA County Hospital. He underwent a fellowship in the shoulder and elbow surgery at the W.B. Carrell Memorial Clinic in Dallas, Texas, followed by yet another fellowship in hand and upper extremity at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Itamura is a team physician for the University of Southern California, USC University Hospital Center for Athletic Medicine, East Los Angeles Community College, and California State University-Los Angeles. He is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the California Orthopedic Association, Global Shoulder Society, and the American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons.
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's Videos
Education and Training
University of Southern California LA
Univ of Southern Ca Sch of Med, Los Angeles Ca 1989
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's Expert Contributions
I am not sure what topic sprays were recommended. I usually recommend rice: rest , ice, compression and elevation. I hope this helps READ MORE
It depends on the type of fracture. The fracture can cause growth plate issues leading to deformity and pain. Swelling may be the onset of an inflammatory type arthritis, too. READ MORE
My brother has been diagnosed with tennis elbow. According to you what will be the best course of treatment?
First of all: -it needs to be examined -it can be referred from other sources like the neck -usually, this can be managed with good physical therapy READ MORE
You mother should absolutely be evaluated in the emergency room. It may need to be reduced under anesthesia. READ MORE
Expert PublicationsData provided by the National Library of Medicine
- Latissimus dorsi pedicle flap for coverage of soft tissue defects about the elbow.
- Treatment of soft tissue problems about the elbow.
- Differential diagnosis of shoulder injuries in sports.
- A radiographic study of proximal radius anatomy with implications in radial head replacement.
- Six-month magnetic resonance imaging follow-up of large and massive rotator cuff repairs reinforced with porcine small intestinal submucosa.
- Biologic resurfacing of the glenoid using a meniscal allograft.
- Operative treatment of intra-articular distal humerus fractures.
- The relationship between main elbow flexion skin crease and osseous anatomy of the elbow joint.
- Luggage tag technique of anatomic fixation of displaced acromioclavicular joint separations.
- The influence of the acromioclavicular joint degeneration on supraspinatus outlet impingement and the acromion shape.
- Management of chronic shoulder infections utilizing a fixed articulating antibiotic-loaded spacer.
- Total elbow allografts with collateral ligament reconstruction for posttraumatic elbow injuries.
- Biomechanical evaluation of parallel versus orthogonal plate fixation of intra-articular distal humerus fractures.
- The effect of radial osteotomy on the position of the posterior interosseous nerve.
- Biologic resurfacing of the glenoid with meniscal allograft: long-term results
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Team physician for the University of Southern California, USC University Hospital Center for Athletic Medicine, East Los Angeles Community College, and California State University-Los Angeles -
- USC Medical Center
- W. B. Carrell Memorial Clinic (Shoulder and Elbow), Massachusetts General Hospital (Hand Surgery)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Association, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, California Orthopedic Association, Global Shoulder Society, and American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
- Strong Sense of Drive
Favorite professional publications
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's Practice location
Los Angeles, California 90033Get Direction
PASADENA, CA 91101Get Direction
Los Angeles, CA 90033Get Direction
Los Angeles, CA 90033Get Direction
Dr. John Minoru Itamura MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Itamura
- How to Treat a Sprained Ankle
Ankle sprains are a very common ailment, particularly of women who have the habit of wearing high heels. Ankle sprains refer to the condition in which one of the ligaments in the ankle is injured. A history of ankle sprains will eventually make an individual prone to ankle sprains. Landing the foot...
- What Is Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery?
Minimally invasive knee replacement surgery is a term used to describe several procedures and modifications of conventional knee replacement aimed to reduce tissue trauma. Unlike other procedures that involve a deep cut on your knee to expose the joint, the procedure's main goal is to reduce or...
- Plantar Fasciitis: Treatment and Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis
Meaning of Plantar FasciitisOne of the most common causes of heel pain is called plantar fasciitis. A flat band of ligament or tissue connects the heel bone to the toes. This ligament is called the plantar fascia, which also provides support to the arch of the foot. If the plantar fascia is...
- Muscle Relaxants for Fibromyalgia
What is fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is known as a muscle-related pain syndrome or myofascial pain syndrome. It can be due to a general type of pain such as muscle pain or back pain, and certain tender areas in the body. Individuals suffering from fibromyalgia would have various tender spots in the...
- How to Prepare for a Knee Replacement Surgery
A major factor that you should consider before having a knee replacement surgery is proper preparation. A good preparation will actually give you successful outcomes with fewer complications. As a patient, you should consider learning what to expect during the procedure and recovery both at home and...
- What Are the Risks of Carpal Tunnel Surgery?
Carpal tunnel surgery is a procedure done to treat carpal tunnel syndrome. The surgical procedure involves the severing of a ligament referred to as the transverse carpal ligament so that the pressure it was exerting on the median nerve gets released.The pressure exerted on the median nerve causes...
- A Michael Moheimani M.D.980 Atlantic Ave. Long Beach CA 90813
- Dr. Clive M. Segil M.D.17777 VENTURA BLVD STE 230 ENCINO CA 91316
- Dr. John Thomas Quigley M.D.301 W Huntington Dr Arcadia CA 91007
- Dr. Barth B. Riedel MD1200 N STATE ST LOS ANGELES CA 90033
- Dr. Hooman M. Melamed M.D.13160 Mindanao Way Marina Del Rey California 90292
- Bal Rajagopalan MD6000 SAN VICENTE BLVD LOS ANGELES CA 90036