With 29 years of experience as an orthopedic surgeon, Jose J. Monsivais, MD, FACS, is considered one of the leading experts in his field. He practices at Hand and Microsurgery Center of El Paso, Texas, and also through his affiliations with Sierra Providence East Medical Center, Del Sol Medical Center, and Foundations Medical Center. Procedures he performs include Carpal Tunnel Release, Hand & Wrist Fracture & Dislocation Treatment, Tendon Transfer, and Trigger Finger Release. Dr. Monsivais specializes in conditions such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, De Quervain's Disease, Dupuytren's Contracture, Hand Fracture, Osteoarthritis, Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist, Pseudoarthrosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Trigger Finger. He studied for his medical degree at Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara and then trained at R.E. Thomason General Hospital and Duke University Hospital. a member of the American Medical Association, Society of Actuaries, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, American Association for Hand Surgery, American Society for Peripheral Nerve, and the American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, Dr. Monsivais is certified in hand surgery (1989) and general surgery (1987) by the American Board of Surgery. He has over 57 works published and is also an active volunteer, which includes orthopedics overseas with the Palestinian Childrens Fund. He has worked as a volunteer in international locations as Ethiopia, Palestinian Camps, Honduras, Lebanon, Eastern Europe, and West Bank. He additionally volunteered in the Ukraine and Iraq for 18 months and helped serve citizens in Eastern Europe at former Soviet Republics after the fall of the Republic.
Education and Training
Universidad Autï¿½noma de Guadalajara
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Honduras Facultad de Ciencias Medicas 1971
American Board of Surgery- General Surgery
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS
- Rotary subluxation of the scaphoid resulting in persistent carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Psychological profile and work status of a predominantly Hispanic worker's compensation population with chronic limb pain.
- Malingering? No evidence in a predominantly Hispanic workers' compensation population with chronic pain.
- Microvascular grafts: effect of diameter discrepancy on patency rates.
- Acculturation, depression, and function in individuals seeking pain management in a predominantly Hispanic southwestern border community.
- Depression, Depressive Somatic or Nonsomatic Symptoms, and Function in a Primarily Hispanic Chronic Pain Population.
- Piso-triquetral arthrosis as a cause of rupture of the profundus tendon of the little finger.
- Treatment for clients with cumulative trauma disorders: using an educational model to communicate choices.
- The endoscopic diagnosis and possible treatment of nerve root avulsions in the management of brachial plexus injuries.
- The association of peripheral nerve compression and reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
- Acute carpal tunnel syndrome due to pseudogout.
- Effective management of osteomyelitis after grade III open fractures.
- Managing chronic neuropathic pain with implanted anesthetic reservoirs.
- Botulinum toxin in painful syndromes.
- Tinel's sign or percussion test? Developing a better method of evoking a Tinel's sign.
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional, National, and International Public Speaking -
- Over 500 Speaking Engagements from Local and Instrumental Levels -
- Trigger Finger
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Walter Reed Army Med Ctr, Hand Surgery; Harlan Appalachian Reg Hsp, General Surgery; R E Thomason Gen Hosp, General Surgery; R E Thomason Gen Hosp, Flexible Or Transitional Year
- Wilford Hall Medical Center (AETC) Military Only Program
- R.E. Thomason General Hospital
- R.E. Thomason General Hospital
- Duke University Hospital
Professional Society Memberships
- American Medical Association, Society of Actuaries, American Society for Surgery of the Hand, American Association for Hand Surgery, American Society for Peripheral Nerve, American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
Articles and Publications
- 57 Publications
What do you attribute your success to?
- Lots of Hard Work and Good Mentorship
- Volunteer Work: Orthopedics Overseas, Palestinian Children's Fund. Brings doctors to international locations; such as Ethiopia, Honduras, Palestinian Camps, Lebanon, West Bank, and Eastern Europe. He also volunteered in the Ukraine and Iraq for 18 months, and helped serve citizens in Eastern Europe at former Soviet Republics after the fall of the Republic.
Hobbies / Sports
- Endurance Running, Endurance Riding
- Sierra Providence East Medical Center
- Del Sol Medical Center
- Foundations Medical Center
Dr. Jose Monsivais M.D.'s Practice location
El Paso, Texas 79925Get Direction
EL PASO, TX 79925Get Direction
El Paso, TX 79936Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Jose Monsivais M.D. | Orthopedist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Jose Monsivais M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Monsivais
- Symptoms of Gout in Knee
What is gout in knee?Gout in knee is an inflammatory condition that causes swelling and pain in the knee joints. In the US, approximately 1-2 people in every 100 suffer from gout. Men are more likely to be affected by this condition than women with a peak-incidence age of 75. There are recurrent...
- Muscle Relaxants for Fibromyalgia
What is fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is known as a muscle-related pain syndrome or myofascial pain syndrome. It can be due to a general type of pain such as muscle pain or back pain, and certain tender areas in the body. Individuals suffering from fibromyalgia would have various tender spots in the...
- What Is Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery?
Minimally invasive knee replacement surgery is a term used to describe several procedures and modifications of conventional knee replacement aimed to reduce tissue trauma. Unlike other procedures that involve a deep cut on your knee to expose the joint, the procedure's main goal is to reduce or...
- What Is Total Knee Arthroplasty?
Total knee arthroplasty (TKA), also known as total knee replacement, is a surgical procedure in which parts of the knee joint are replaced with artificial parts or prostheses.A normal knee usually functions as the hinge joint located between the lower leg bones (tibia) and the upper leg bone...
- What Is a Charley Horse?
What is a charley horse?A charley horse is a term used when referring to a muscle cramp or spasm. Although muscle cramps can occur in any muscle in the body, they are commonly experienced in the leg. In a muscle spasm, the muscle uncontrollably contracts and does not relax. When the contracting...
- How is Bursitis Diagnosed?
What are the signs and symptoms of bursitis?Bursitis symptoms are there because of the amount of inflammation in the bursa, as well as the exact area of the bursa involved. The swelling causes pain and tenderness in the bursa. When the bursa is so swollen, then it can cause stiffness along with...
- Dr. Shawn Johnson M.D.1000 Ochsner Blvd Covington Louisiana 70433
- Dr. Daniel Wayne Vande lune M.D.507 N Brightleaf Blvd Smithfield NC 27577
- Mr. Richard C Rooney M.D.1629 220th St SE Bothell WA 98021
- Dr. Johan J Penninck MD1720 Murchison Dr El Paso TX 79902
- Mr. Gregory Robert Misenhimer M.D.2150 Trawood Dr El Paso TX 79935
- Dr. David J Mansfield MD1720 Murchison El Paso TX 79902