Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.
Orthopedist130 E 67th St New York NY, 10065
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz' expertise is in minimally invasive repair and/or reconstruction of the shoulder and knee. His treatment philosophy is that preservation of all the vital structures, with which we are born, is the key to extending the life of our joints. Leon E. Popovitz, MD's focus of orthopedic SHOULDER expertise lies in Arthroscopic Surgery of the Shoulder for the treatment of: Shoulder Labral (SLAP) Tears Shoulder/ Rotator Cuff Impingement Shoulder Dislocations First Time and Recurrent Shoulder Ligament Injuries & Tears Rotator Cuff Tears Shoulder (AC Joint) Separation or Sprain AC Joint Osteolysis/Weight Lifters Shoulder Sports Injuries of the Shoulder
Leon E. Popovitz, MD's focus of orthopedic KNEE expertise lies in Arthroscopic Surgery of the Knee for the treatment of:
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Tears Meniscal Tears Knee Ligament Tears Articular Cartilage Damage Osteochondral Injuries Recurrent Patellar (Knee Cap) Dislocations Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis Synovitis Chondromalacia Patella Loose Bodies in the Knee
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.'s Videos
Education and Training
New York Medical College
Cornell Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
St Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center – Level 1 Trauma New York, NY INTERNSHIP: GENERAL SURGERY
Lenox Hill Hospital New York, NY RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Harvard Children’s Hospital Boston, MA RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Areas of expertise and specialization
- 2017, 2016 New York Magazine Best Doctors Castle Connolly: Top Doctors | America's Top Doctors
- 2017, 2016 New York Times Tops Doctors Castle Connolly: Top Doctors | America's Top Doctors
- 2017, 2016 New York Super Doctors SuperDoctors.com SuperDoctors.com
- Leading Physicians of the World - Doctors of Excellence Leading Physicians of the World
- Patients' Choice Award Patients' Choice
- Vitals Top 10 Physicians Award Vitals.com
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery Of The Shoulder And Knee
- Shoulder Labral Repairs
- Shoulder Labral Tear
- Rotator Cuff Problems
- Shoulder Dislocations & Instability Treatment
- Sports Injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (acl) Injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries Of Knee
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears
- Meniscal Tears
- Knee Ligament Tears And Reconstruction (acl, Mcl, Pcl, Lcl)
- Articular Cartilage Transplants
- Patellar Pain Syndrome
- Patella Dislocation
- Patelet Rich Plasma
- Patellar Tendonitis
- Patellar Surgery
- Chondromalacia Patella
- Loose Bodies in the Knee
- NYU/ Hospital for Joint Diseases ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY & SPORTS MEDICINE
- Orthopaedic Surgery- Specializing Exclusively in the Treatment of the Shoulder and Knee; Arthroscopic Surgery and Sport Medicine.
- NYU Langone Medical Center and the Hospital for Joint Diseases (Sports Medicine; Orthopedic Surgery)
Professional Society Memberships
- Leon E. Popovitz, MD is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, he was elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, and he is a member of the European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
Articles and Publications
- Has been Published
What do you attribute your success to?
- Great training and experience, listening to patients' concerns, and always working to help patients get better.
Areas of research
- Constantly at the forefront of advancements in orthopedic medicine, Dr. Popovitz' clinical studies focus on the latest non-surgical and surgical developments. In addition, Dr. Popovitz' inventions encompass the highest level of techniques and developments that will be used by orthopedic surgeons in the future.
- Dr Leon E. Popovitz has been honored by The Global Jewish Assistance & Relief Network for his devoted efforts and philanthropic support.
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.'s Practice location
New York, NY 10065Get Direction
Hoboken, NJ 07030Get Direction
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Popovitz
Dr. Leon Popovitz saved my KNEE! I had a very bad injury, and he was able to repair it skillfully. I love his team because everyone is very caring and always trying to accommodate, help u! I would strongly recommend him as a top Orthopedic Surgeon in New York!!! If you got bad shoulder or knee please go and see Dr. Popovitz !!
Leon E. Popovitz received his medical degree in 1994 from New York Medical College. He did his internship in General Surgery at St Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center/ Level 1 Trauma Center of New York and served his Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. His residency training also took place at Harvard Children’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts and Cornell Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Dr. Popovitz underwent his fellowship in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery at the NYU Hospital for Joint Disease. Dr. Popovitz is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He was ranked by the Consumer Research Council of America among the Top Surgeons, Top Orthopedic Surgeons, and Top Physicians since 2004. Dr. Popovitz is a highly-trained and qualified orthopedic surgeon who has been practicing for over 14 years and is currently serving patients at New York Bone & Joint Specialists in New York and New Jersey. Furthermore, he is on staff at Lenox Hill Hospital. Orthopaedic surgeons are dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles. Dr. Popovitz has an impeccable reputation and vast expertise in several areas relating to his field of work, especially shoulder arthroscopy, knee arthroscopy, and sports medicine. He has also had the honor of being a team physician for the U.S. Open Tennis Championships, where he had the privilege of regularly treating professional American athletes, international professional athletes and dancers, competitive American and international collegiate level athletes, and celebrities from around the world. Dr. Popovitz attributes his success to training and experience, listening to patients’ concerns, and always working to help patients get better.
- How Effective is Knee Replacement Surgery?
How Effective is Knee Replacement Surgery?This surgery is normally recommended for elderly people who suffer from severe pain due to osteoarthritis. It is suggested for people if the pain and stiffness in their joints affects their mobility and daily activities. One has to understand both the...
- What Is a Charley Horse?
What is a charley horse?A charley horse is a term used when referring to a muscle cramp or spasm. Although muscle cramps can occur in any muscle in the body, they are commonly experienced in the leg. In a muscle spasm, the muscle uncontrollably contracts and does not relax. When the contracting...
- How to Prepare For Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Carpal tunnel syndrome refers to a condition affecting the median nerve in your wrist. When you get this syndrome, you experience tingling, numbness, and pain radiating to your arms and hands, and it becomes difficult to use your arm especially around the wrist. The condition happens when carpal...
- The History of Muscular Dystrophy
What is muscular dystrophy?Muscular dystrophy is an inherited disorder, which is often characterized by a progressive type of muscular degeneration and weakness. There are several types of muscular dystrophy, wherein each type eventually leads to an increased disability, strength loss, and potential...
- What Is Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Surgery?
This is a type of surgery used in treating spinal stenosis, a condition that occurs due to the narrowing of space between the spinal vertebrae. In order to have a better understanding about spinal stenosis surgery, it is important to have a clear idea about the conditions which lead to this...
- Do You Need a Bone Density Examination?
What is a bone density examination?A bone density examination is the only examination that will diagnose osteoporosis before its signs and symptoms become visible and before any bone fractures occur. With the help of a bone density test, your doctor will know more about the density and health of...
- Dr. David T. Neuman M.D.8340 Woodhaven Blvd Queens Glendale NY 11385
- Dr. Alexandre B De moura MD761 Merrick Ave Westbury NY 11590
- Dr. Ron Noy M.D.424 Madison Avenue New York New York 10017
- Dr. Oscar Vazquez M.D.25 Prospect Ave Hackensack NJ 07601
- Woojin Cho 10530
- Paul M. Brisson51 East 25th Street New York New York 10016