Dr. Leon E. Popovitz' expertise is in minimally invasive repair and/or reconstruction of the shoulder and knee. His treatment philosophy is that preservation of all the vital structures, with which we are born, is the key to extending the life of our joints. Leon E. Popovitz, MD's focus of orthopedic SHOULDER expertise lies in Arthroscopic Surgery of the Shoulder for the treatment of: Shoulder Labral (SLAP) Tears Shoulder/ Rotator Cuff Impingement Shoulder Dislocations First Time and Recurrent Shoulder Ligament Injuries & Tears Rotator Cuff Tears Shoulder (AC Joint) Separation or Sprain AC Joint Osteolysis/Weight Lifters Shoulder Sports Injuries of the Shoulder
Leon E. Popovitz, MD's focus of orthopedic KNEE expertise lies in Arthroscopic Surgery of the Knee for the treatment of:
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Tears Meniscal Tears Knee Ligament Tears Articular Cartilage Damage Osteochondral Injuries Recurrent Patellar (Knee Cap) Dislocations Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis Synovitis Chondromalacia Patella Loose Bodies in the Knee
Education and Training
New York Medical College
Cornell Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
St Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center – Level 1 Trauma New York, NY INTERNSHIP: GENERAL SURGERY
Lenox Hill Hospital New York, NY RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Harvard Children’s Hospital Boston, MA RESIDENCY: ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopaedic SurgeryAmerican Board of Orthopaedic SurgeryABOS- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Areas of expertise and specialization
- 2017, 2016 New York Magazine Best DoctorsCastle Connolly: Top Doctors | America's Top Doctors
- 2017, 2016 New York Times Tops DoctorsCastle Connolly: Top Doctors | America's Top Doctors
- 2017, 2016 New York Super Doctors SuperDoctors.comSuperDoctors.com
- Leading Physicians of the World - Doctors of ExcellenceLeading Physicians of the World
- Patients' Choice AwardPatients' Choice
- Vitals Top 10 Physicians AwardVitals.com
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery Of The Shoulder And Knee
- Shoulder Labral Repairs
- Shoulder Labral Tear
- Rotator Cuff Problems
- Shoulder Dislocations & Instability Treatment
- Sports Injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (acl) Injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries Of Knee
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears
- Meniscal Tears
- Knee Ligament Tears And Reconstruction (acl, Mcl, Pcl, Lcl)
- Articular Cartilage Transplants
- Patellar Pain Syndrome
- Patella Dislocation
- Patelet Rich Plasma
- Patellar Tendonitis
- Patellar Surgery
- Chondromalacia Patella
- Loose Bodies in the Knee
Faculty Titles & Positions
- NYU/ Hospital for Joint DiseasesARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY & SPORTS MEDICINE
- Orthopaedic Surgery- Specializing Exclusively in the Treatment of the Shoulder and Knee; Arthroscopic Surgery and Sport Medicine.
- NYU Langone Medical Center and the Hospital for Joint Diseases (Sports Medicine; Orthopedic Surgery)
Professional Society Memberships
- Leon E. Popovitz, MD is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, he was elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery, and he is a member of the European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
Articles and Publications
- Has been Published
What do you attribute your success to?
- Great training and experience, listening to patients' concerns, and always working to help patients get better.
Areas of research
- Constantly at the forefront of advancements in orthopedic medicine, Dr. Popovitz' clinical studies focus on the latest non-surgical and surgical developments. In addition, Dr. Popovitz' inventions encompass the highest level of techniques and developments that will be used by orthopedic surgeons in the future.
- Dr Leon E. Popovitz has been honored by The Global Jewish Assistance & Relief Network for his devoted efforts and philanthropic support.
- Lenox Hill Hospital
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.'s Practice location
New York, NY 10065 Get Direction
Hoboken, NJ 07030 Get Direction
Paramus, NJ 07652 Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D. | Orthopedist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Leon E. Popovitz M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Popovitz
Dr. Leon Popovitz saved my KNEE! I had a very bad injury, and he was able to repair it skillfully. I love his team because everyone is very caring and always trying to accommodate, help u! I would strongly recommend him as a top Orthopedic Surgeon in New York!!! If you got bad shoulder or knee please go and see Dr. Popovitz !!
Leon E. Popovitz received his medical degree in 1994 from New York Medical College. He did his internship in General Surgery at St Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center/ Level 1 Trauma Center of New York and served his Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. His residency training also took place at Harvard Children’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts and Cornell Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Dr. Popovitz underwent his fellowship in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery at the NYU Hospital for Joint Disease.
Dr. Popovitz is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He was ranked by the Consumer Research Council of America among the Top Surgeons, Top Orthopedic Surgeons, and Top Physicians since 2004. Dr. Popovitz is a highly-trained and qualified orthopedic surgeon who has been practicing for over 14 years and is currently serving patients at New York Bone & Joint Specialists in New York and New Jersey. Furthermore, he is on staff at Lenox Hill Hospital.
Orthopaedic surgeons are dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disorders of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles. Dr. Popovitz has an impeccable reputation and vast expertise in several areas relating to his field of work, especially shoulder arthroscopy, knee arthroscopy, and sports medicine. He has also had the honor of being a team physician for the U.S. Open Tennis Championships, where he had the privilege of regularly treating professional American athletes, international professional athletes and dancers, competitive American and international collegiate level athletes, and celebrities from around the world. Dr. Popovitz attributes his success to training and experience, listening to patients’ concerns, and always working to help patients get better.
- What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis?
Arthritis is a condition that causes inflammation and swelling in the joints. It may also affect the tissues surrounding the joints and other adjacent or connective tissues, and its adverse effects may be either on one or multiple joints. The arthritic disease or condition can be categorized into...
- What Type of Disorder Is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a chronic disorder that affects the musculoskeletal system. A person diagnosed with arthritis can have very uncomfortable pain in one or more than one joint in their body. Sometimes, arthritis may cause disability. Arthritis can also be caused by bacterial or viral infections,...
- Muscle Relaxants for Fibromyalgia
What is fibromyalgia?Fibromyalgia is known as a muscle-related pain syndrome or myofascial pain syndrome. It can be due to a general type of pain such as muscle pain or back pain, and certain tender areas in the body. Individuals suffering from fibromyalgia would have various tender spots in the...
- Everything You Need to Know About Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Carpal tunnel surgery is a medical procedure that is done to treat a condition known as carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition where a ligament known as the transverse carpal ligament lies over the median nerve, putting pressure on it. The condition causes numbness, weakness,...
- Everything You Need to Know About Spinal Stenosis Surgery
It is perfectly normal to feel nervous before a major surgical operation. In fact, it would be unusual to find a patient awaiting surgery who is not worried at all. The best way to alleviate some of the concerns is to let them know exactly what to expect beforehand by addressing some of the burning...
- Alternative Treatments For Bursitis
Alternative Treatment for BursitisBursitis is a condition that causes inflammation and pain in bursa tissue, which is tissue found around the bones, joints, muscles, and tendons. Since bursitis is a condition that affects a person any time of the day, it is important to know some of its alternative...
- Woojin Cho 10530
- Paul M. Brisson 57 East 25th Street New York New York 10016
- Dr. Karen Avanesov D.O 3059 Brighton 13th street Brooklyn NY 11235
- Dr. Ron Noy M.D. 424 Madison Avenue New York New York 10017
- Dr. Ronald Moore Chase M.D. 97 Amity Street Brooklyn New York 11201
- Dr. David T. Neuman M.D. 131 W 33rd St New York NY 10001