Hypospadias, Congenital Penile Abnormalities, Undescended Testis, Hydronephrosis, Urinary Tract Infection
Education and Training
University of Texas at San Antonio
American Board of Urology
UrologyAmerican Board of UrologyABU
UrologyAmerican Board of UrologyABU- Pediatric Urology
- What to anticipate with experience in pediatric laparoscopic ablative renal surgery.
- Malleable implant substitution for the management of penile prosthesis pump erosion: a pilot study.
- Re: Epidemiological trends in pediatric urolithiasis. Editorial comment.
- Comparative analysis of nephrolithiasis in otherwise healthy versus medically complex gastrostomy fed children.
- Age does not impact risk for urethroplasty complications after tubularized incised plate repair of hypospadias in prepubertal boys.
- Initial results for combined orchiectomy and prosthesis exchange for unsalvageable testicular torsion in adolescents: description of intravaginal prosthesis placement at orchiectomy.
- Risk of febrile urinary tract infection after reflux surgery--does the type of procedure matter?
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of polyethylene glycol (MiraLAX®) for urinary urge symptoms.
- Prevalence and risk factors for renal scars in children with febrile UTI and/or VUR: a cross-sectional observational study of 565 consecutive patients.
- Introducing the HOPE (Hypospadias Objective Penile Evaluation)-score: a validation study of an objective scoring system for evaluating cosmetic appearance in hypospadias patients.
- Urethral strictures following urethral plate and proximal urethral elevation during proximal TIP hypospadias repair.
- Objective use of testosterone reveals androgen insensitivity in patients with proximal hypospadias.
- Duration of follow-up to diagnose hypospadias urethroplasty complications.
- Coronal fistula repair under the glans without reoperative hypospadias glansplasty or urinary diversion.
- Glans size is an independent risk factor for urethroplasty complications after hypospadias repair.
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional, National, and International Public Speaking -
- Top Pediatric Specialist, Dallas
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Clinical Research Scholar
- Marquis Who's Who
- Who's Who in Academia
- 2014-2015 Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) - Program Participa
- 2013 Clinical Research Prize Finalist, Pediatric Urology Fall Congress Ann
- The Journal of Urology 2012 Best Reviewer 2011 Award
- 2012 Clinical Research Prize Finalist, American Academy of Pediatrics Sect
- 2011 Clinical Research Prize Finalist, American Academy of Pediatrics Sect
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center 2009-2012 Clinical Research Scholar
- 2008 Best of Session Poster Presentation, American Urological Association
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago 2006-2007 Bipin Bhayani Urologic Research Award
- 2007 Charles Huggins Resident Essay Contest, Chicago Urological Society
- 2001 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2000 American Foundation for Urologic Disease/American Urological Associat
- Medical Alumni Scholarship, 1999 University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- 1997 Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society
- 1994-1997 Southwestern Bell Foundation Merit Scholar
- 1993-1995 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
- 1993 Women as Leaders National Conference Delegate, Texas Representative
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital 2003
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital 2007
- UT Southwestern / Children's Medical Center, Pediatric Urology 2009
- Children's Medical Center of Dallas-UROLOGY
Professional Society Memberships
- Society for Pediatric Urology, American Urological Association, The Society for Fetal Urology, Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons, Society of Women in Urology, Texas Medical Association
Articles and Publications
Over 50 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. (see CV)
What do you attribute your success to?
The 3 P’s: Prospective data collection, Periodically reviewing our results, and then making Practice changes. It is easy to think we are doing the best job we can, but unless you keep up with the results of your work, you can’t really know. Making sure to spend time monitoring our surgical results and making changes when something isn’t perfect is the best way to ensure our patients are getting the top-quality care they deserve.
Areas of research
Hypospadias, Congenital Penile Abnormalities, Undescended Testis, Hydronephrosis, Urinary Tract Infection
Founded Operation Happenis, a charity aimed at raising awareness and improving surgery for children with hypospadias, a common penile birth defect.
Teaching and speaking
Evidence Based Medicine in Primary Hypospadias Repair. Pediatric Surgery Conference. Athens, Greece, February 2015.
Hypospadias Reoperations. 3rd Annual South American live surgery workshop and webinar. Quito, Ecuador, December 2014
UTIs, VUR, and the New AAP Guidelines: Why Prospective Data Matters. PedUroCON 2014, Bangalore, India, August 2014
Getting better with Databases and Improved Study Design: Using Hypospadias as an Example. PedUroCON 2014, Bangalore, India , August 2014
Testosterone and Hypospadias. Friends of Israel Section on Urology Biannual Meeting, Tel Aviv, Israel, July 2014
The Modern Era of Hypospadias: Surgical Decision-Making. Invited Professorship, Vienna, Austria, May 2014
Learning Curves in Hypospadias. AAPU Annual Meeting, Dominican Republic, January 2014
Vesicoureteral Reflux, Challenging Cases. AAPU Annual Meeting, Dominican Republic, January 2014
Distal Hypospadias – indications and complications. 2nd Annual South American live surgery workshop and webinar. Quito, Ecuador, November 2013
Reoperations in Hypospadias. Turkish Association of Pediatric Surgeons and Hypospadias Workshop (HYPOS ‘012). Istanbul, Turkey, November 2012
Surgical Decision-Making in Hypospadias. Turkish Association of Pediatric Surgeons and Hypospadias Workshop (HYPOS ‘012). Istanbul, Turkey, November 2012
Moderator– Section on Hypospadias, International Society for Hypospadias and DSD Congress, London, England, October 2011
Combined orchiectomy with prosthesis exchange (COPE) for acute testicular torsion. AAPU Annual Meeting, Costa Rica, January 2011
DMSA for Vesicoureteral Reflux. AAPU Annual Meeting, Costa Rica, January 2011
Moderator – section on hypospadias. American Urological Association Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, May 2014
Materials & Methods in Hypospadias Reporting, International Pediatric Urology Task Force on Hypospadias, Las Vegas, NV, October 2013
Glansplasty and reoperative glansplasty in hypospadias: Video and Lecture. AAP Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, October 2012
Non-experimental/observational studies: From case series to large databases, when are the data good enough to change practice? Society for Fetal Urology 48th Biannual Meeting. Atlanta, GA, May 2012
Pediatric Urology for School Nurses. Plano Independent School District Annual Meeting. Plano, Texas, October 2013 and October 2014
Newborn Circumcisions: Postnatal management and when to refer for penile abnormalities. Baylor Medical Center Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Grand Rounds. February 2013
Long term follow-up and transition care: Hypospadias. 19th Annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium, Dallas, Texas, January 2013
Changing paradigms in vesicoureteral reflux , Continuing Medical Education Lecture Series, Southlake, Texas, July 2013
Nursing inservice on Vesicoureteral Reflux. Childrens Medical Center Dallas, November 2012
Management of urinary tract infections and vesicoureteral reflux, Pediatric grand rounds, East Texas Medical Center, Tyler, Texas, October 2012
Vesicoureteral Reflux: A better imaging strategy then the new AAP guidelines. Medical City Pediatric Grand Rounds, Dallas, Texas, May 2012
Undescended Testicles: A guide for Primary Care Physicians. Medical City Pediatric Grand Rounds, Dallas, Texas, February 2012
Pediatric Urologic Emergencies: Testicular Torsion. 18th Annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium, Dallas, Texas, January 2012
Changing Trends in Reflux. 17th Annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium, Dallas, Texas, January 2011
Urolithiasis in Children Taking Topiramate. Clinical Science Forum, UTSW, Dallas, Texas, September 2010
Bone Health in Stone-Forming Children. Bone Mineral Metabolism Grand Rounds, Dallas, Texas, August 2010
Laparoscopic Ureteral Reimplant for Reflux: Techniques and Outcomes. 16th Annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium, Dallas, Texas, January 2010
Robotic Assisted Pyeloplasty: Techniques and Outcomes. 16th Annual Paul C. Peters Urology Symposium, Dallas, Texas, January 2010
A pair of testicular issues. Pediatric General Surgery Grand Rounds. Childrens Medical Center Dallas, January 2010
Hobbies / Sports
- Traveling, Reaching, Family and Friends
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital
- Forest Park Medical Center
- Welcome to Medical City Dallas
- Children's Medical Center of Dallas
Dr. Nicol C. Bush MD's Practice location
Frisco, Texas 75034Get Direction
DALLAS, TX 75390Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Nicol C. Bush MD | Urologist (Pediatric) | Pediatric Urology
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Nicol C. Bush MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Bush
- What Is Hydrocele Repair?
Hydrocele repair is a surgical process that aims to correct the swelling of the scrotum that occurs as a result of hydroceles. A hydrocele is a painless buildup of fluid around the testicles. Fluid buildup causes the scrotum and the groin area to swell. This swelling can make you uncomfortable even...
- What Are the Risks of Hydrocelectomy
Hydrocelectomy, also called hydrocele repair, is a surgical procedure that aims to remove or repair a hydrocele, a sac of fluid that forms around a testicle, causing swelling and pain.Hydrocelectomy is like all other surgeries—risky, and one may get hurt during the procedure, react to the...
- What to Expect After a Hydrocelectomy
Hydrocelectomy is a type of surgery that aims to correct the swelling that occurs in the scrotum. This procedure is done to repair a hydrocele.What is a hydrocele?A hydrocele is a fluid-filled sac that is located around the testicles. The accumulation of fluid in the testicles is common, especially...
- What Is an Orchiopexy Surgery?
Orchiopexy is a surgical procedure that corrects the position of undescended testicles inside the scrotum. Orchiopexy is performed to male children to correct cryptorchidism, a medical term used for any undescended testicles. Orchiopexy can also be performed to male adults or adolescents, which may...
- What Is The Point of a Circumcision?
What Is The Point of a Circumcision?Circumcision is one of the oldest social and cultural practices of man. Its origin is not known, but centuries of the removal of the foreskin has been practiced by many communities. Different communities hold various beliefs concerning circumcision.Some consider...
- Causes and Helpful Tips for Enuresis (Bedwetting)
What is enuresis?Enuresis, also called nocturnal enuresis, is the medical term for bedwetting or urinating during sleep. Bedwetting is usually part of a child’s development. It is fairly common among children and is slightly more common in boys.Most children outgrow bedwetting without any...