Valerie Brutus, MD is a Board Certified Breast Surgeon at Albany Medical Center. While her main area of expertise includes the diagnosis and treatment of all types of breast diseases, Dr. Brutus also serves as Assistant Professor of Surgery at Albany Medical College. Her specializations include breast conservation, skin and nipple sparing mastectomies to treat DCIS and invasive breast cancer as well as providing educational support for patients with increased risks of breast cancer. Dr. Brutus completed her medical degree from the University of Haiti and a fellowship in breast oncology from Northwestern University in addition to a general surgery residency at the Brooklyn Hospital Center.
Education and Training
University of Haiti
American Board of Plastic Surgery - Breast Surgery
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s Expert Contributions
Yes, I do think that it is worth it to see a surgical oncologist or a fellowship trained breast surgeon. Not only they have more advanced training in breast surgery and can perform the latest surgery but they can also guide your sister for her follow up care and inform her of any updates in breast cancer cancer care. The surgical oncologist will usually plan surgery after the initial appointment if surgery is the first step in your sister cancer care plan. You should select one that works closely with the oncologist that you have already seen since they willl both be involve in your sister’s long term care. I hope that everything works out well with your sister and that my answer was helpful READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Brooklyn Hospital
- Northwestern University
Professional Society Memberships
- American Cancer Society, Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, American Medical Association, Association of Women Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
- Her Upbringing And Her Parents Inspiring Her To Be The Best She Can Be. She Is A People Person And Strives To Connect With Others By Offering Quality Patient Catered Care. She Approaches Each Patient As An Individual Personality And Is Keenly Aware Of Their Diversities. She's Extremely Driven To Improve Herself On A Personal Level, As Well As Professionally. The Adversities That She's Faced In The Past Have Led To Her Successes In Life And Hopes To Continue To Inspire Others On A Daily Basis.
Hobbies / Sports
- Traveling, Reading, Exercise, Pilates
Favorite professional publications
- Society of Surgical Oncology Journal
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s Practice location
BROOKLYN, NY 11225Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D. | Surgical Oncologist | Surgical Oncology
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- How Can Skin Grafting Treat Melanoma?
What is melanoma?Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that affects the melanocytes or the skin cells that contain the pigment melanin. It is caused when long or repeated exposure to UV radiation damages the DNA of these skin cells and causes them to divide uncontrollably forming a malignant tumor....
- Treatments for Liver Cancer
During liver cancer treatment, different healthcare professionals work together to come up with an overall treatment plan. The treatment plan combines different types of cancer treatment to get a successful cure. This group of doctors is called a "multidisciplinary team", which include:...
- What Does It Mean If Your Nipple Is Inverted?
What are inverted nipples?Inverted nipples, also called as nipple retraction, nipple inversion, or invaginated nipple, is a condition in which the nipples point inward instead of out. In some women, nipple retraction can be present at birth. In some cases, the condition may develop due to trauma or...
- Breast Cancer Survivor Organizes Non-Profit With a Meaningful Purpose
One month before her 31st birthday, Janet Palmer, a law enforcement officer, found a lump in her right breast. After nine months of consultations with two different doctors and one negative mammogram, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. At this time, Palmer decided to undergo a mastectomy,...
- Alternative Treatments for Bladder Cancer
Alternative Treatments for Bladder CancerCancer occurs in various stages, and as it moves from one stage to another, it gets worse. Therefore, as the condition progresses, more effective methods of treatment have to be applied. At times, even two treatment methods can be applied together.In...
- What Is Gastric Cancer: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Gastric cancer, also known as stomach cancer, begins when cancer cells form in the inner lining of the stomach. This disease does not show clear signs and symptoms until it enters the later stages. The cancer may spread from the stomach to essential parts like the liver, lungs, bones, and lymph...