Valerie Brutus, MD is a Board Certified Breast Surgeon at Albany Medical Center. While her main area of expertise includes the diagnosis and treatment of all types of breast diseases, Dr. Brutus also serves as Assistant Professor of Surgery at Albany Medical College. Her specializations include breast conservation, skin and nipple sparing mastectomies to treat DCIS and invasive breast cancer as well as providing educational support for patients with increased risks of breast cancer. Dr. Brutus completed her medical degree from the University of Haiti and a fellowship in breast oncology from Northwestern University in addition to a general surgery residency at the Brooklyn Hospital Center.
Education and Training
University of Haiti
American Board of Plastic Surgery - Breast Surgery
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s Expert Contributions
Yes, I do think that it is worth it to see a surgical oncologist or a fellowship trained breast surgeon. Not only they have more advanced training in breast surgery and can perform the latest surgery but they can also guide your sister for her follow up care and inform her of any updates in breast cancer cancer care. The surgical oncologist will usually plan surgery after the initial appointment if surgery is the first step in your sister cancer care plan. You should select one that works closely with the oncologist that you have already seen since they willl both be involve in your sister’s long term care. I hope that everything works out well with your sister and that my answer was helpful READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Brooklyn Hospital
- Northwestern University
Professional Society Memberships
- American Cancer Society, Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, American Medical Association, Association of Women Surgeons
What do you attribute your success to?
- Her Upbringing And Her Parents Inspiring Her To Be The Best She Can Be. She Is A People Person And Strives To Connect With Others By Offering Quality Patient Catered Care. She Approaches Each Patient As An Individual Personality And Is Keenly Aware Of Their Diversities. She's Extremely Driven To Improve Herself On A Personal Level, As Well As Professionally. The Adversities That She's Faced In The Past Have Led To Her Successes In Life And Hopes To Continue To Inspire Others On A Daily Basis.
Hobbies / Sports
- Traveling, Reading, Exercise, Pilates
Favorite professional publications
- Society of Surgical Oncology Journal
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s Practice location
BROOKLYN, NY 11225Get Direction
Dr. Valerie Brutus M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- What Tests Determine Pancreatic Cancer?
Pancreatic cancer is a cancer that begins in the pancreas, which is the organ that lies behind the lower part of the stomach. This type of cancer is really difficult to diagnose and it is often detected late. In most cases, by the time this cancer is detected, it has already spread rapidly and thus...
- Treatment Options for Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in women. However, unlike the other forms of cancer, cervical cancer can be cured if it is discovered early on. That’s why cervical screening tests are necessary.Cervical cancer usually has no apparent symptoms in the primary stages. The...
- What Procedures Are Used to Treat Bladder Cancer?
There are various treatment options for bladder cancer. Each option has its own procedure on how it is carried out. The type of treatment is also chosen based on several factors such as:...
- What Does It Mean If Your Nipple Is Inverted?
What are inverted nipples?Inverted nipples, also called as nipple retraction, nipple inversion, or invaginated nipple, is a condition in which the nipples point inward instead of out. In some women, nipple retraction can be present at birth. In some cases, the condition may develop due to trauma or...
- An Overview of Gallbladder Diseases
What is the gallbladder?The gallbladder is a four-inch, pear-shaped organ situated below your liver. It acts as a storage organ for bile, which is a mixture of fats, cholesterol, and fluids. The main purpose of bile is to help in breaking down fats during digestion. The whole process allows for easy...
- Treatments for Liver Cancer
During liver cancer treatment, different healthcare professionals work together to come up with an overall treatment plan. The treatment plan combines different types of cancer treatment to get a successful cure. This group of doctors is called a "multidisciplinary team", which include:...