Dr. Vivek Kumbhari MD
Gastroenterologist | GastroenterologyBayview Medical Center, 4940 Eastern Ave A-5 East Baltimore MD, 21224
The International Association of HealthCare Professionals is pleased to welcome Vivek Kumbhari, MD to their prestigious organization with his upcoming publication in The Leading Physicians of the World. Dr. Kumbhari is an Assistant Professor of Medicine, Director of Endoscopy at JHBMC and the Director of Bariatric Endoscopy at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, MD. He has five years of experience specializing in gastroenterology and interventional endoscopy.
His areas of expertise include minimally invasive, non-surgical therapies to facilitate weight loss and the treatment of obesity related diseases such as hypertension and diabetes. He is also internationally renowned for minimally invasive, non-surgical methods to manage complications of surgery. Additionally, he is an expert in performing endoscopic therapies to treat oncologic conditions involving the gastrointestinal tract.
Vivek was born and raised in Sydney, Australia. He completed his GI training at Sydney's leading hospitals and was one of the youngest ever to become an Attending GI Physician in Australia. To further his knowledge, he joined the prestigious two year Advanced Endoscopic Fellowship program at Johns Hopkins. During this training period, in addition to clinical excellence, he began to push the frontiers of endoscopic therapies gaining him international recognition. He then joined the GI faculty at Johns Hopkins and began to take on several leadership roles. From a research perspective, he boasts almost 100 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and invited reviews. He is an invited speaker both nationally and internationally. He is in his final year of his PhD which focuses on minimally invasive flexible endoscopic surgery.
Vivek understands the challenges involved in not only losing weight, but also maintaining weight after it has been lost. He understands the holistic nature when it comes to losing weight and works intimately with colleagues who are expert nutritionists and bariatricians. He believes in arming the patient with knowledge and providing them with the most up-to-date therapeutic options.
Education and Training
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine
Bachelor of Surgery)
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional, National, and International Teaching and Lecturing on Endoscopy, GI Nursing, Medical Student Clinical Tutorials, Bedside Teaching -
- Outpatient and Inpatient Service Teaching Rounds, St. George Hospital, Bankstown Hospital -
- Mentors Post Doctoral Research Fellows, Internal Medicine Residents, Johns Hopkins University -
- Journal Reviewer, Endoscopy, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and American Journal of Gastroenterology -
- United European Gastroenterology Travel Grant for top Basic Science Abstract at UEGW 2015
- Young Investigator Award, St. George and Sutherland Hospital Medical Research Symposium, 2010
- First Prize, Endoscopy Quiz, Gastrointestinal Skills Training Course, 2010
- Third in the School, Newington College, Yr. 12, 1999
- Bariatric Endoscopy, weight loss therapies, pancreatic cancer, gallstones, achalasia, submucosal endoscopy, stricture, fistula, leak, perforation, colonic polyps, dysphagia, esophageal stricture, pancreatic cyst, cholelithiasis, choledocholithiasis, esophageal cancer, gastric cancer,
- Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy); St. George Hospital (Gastrointestinal Endoscopy); Johns Hopkins Hospital (Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Society of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterology Association, American College of Gastroenterology
Hobbies / Sports
- Tennis, Swimming
Favorite professional publications
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Dr. Vivek Kumbhari MD's Practice location
Baltimore, MD 21224Get Direction
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32224Get Direction
Baltimore, MD 21287Get Direction
- Surgeon, Robot Build Former Rice University Quarterback Artificial Colon
In 2013, 18-year-old Carter Tomsu was in his freshman year at Rice University and enjoying his days as a quarterback on the football team. That is, until his health took a turn for the worse. “The first thing I noticed was just an increase in bowel movements, found blood and mucous in my stool and...
- Nausea and Vomiting as Symptoms of Colon Cancer
The majority of people with colon cancer do not experience any symptoms during the early stages of the disease. However, there are early signs of colon cancer that we need to be aware of.Colon cancer usually starts to occur with the development of non-cancerous (benign) polyps. These polyps develop...
- What Is the Main Cause of Liver Cancer?
What is the main function of the liver?The liver serves as one of the most useful organs in the human body. It carries out many important functions that help sustain life and keep balance within the body. The liver does the following functions:...
- What Are the Symptoms of Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease is a digestive condition in which the lining of small intestine is affected by the consumption of food containing gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and other related grains. In this condition, eating bread, pasta, cookies, and pizza crust triggers an immune...
- What Are the Risk Factors for Liver Cancer?
A liver cancer risk factor is something that increases your chances of getting liver cancer. Different types of cancer have different risk factors. Some risk factors can be controlled such as smoking. On the other hand, age and family history cannot be changed, which means that some risk factors...
- Mucus in Your Stool: Is It Bad?
Functions of MucusMucus is a very important substance in the body. Tissues produce mucus to protect the linings of the mouth, throat, sinuses, nose, lungs, and gut. The functions of mucus are:...
- Dr. Sergey Kantsevoy M.D., PH.D.301 St. Paul Place Baltimore MD 21202
- Dr. Mark D. Noar M.D.7402 YORK RD TOWSON MD 21204
- Dr. Mukesh P. Luhar M.D.1576 Merritt Blvd Dundalk Maryland 21222
- Eric Goldberg22 South Green Street Baltimore Maryland 21201
- Dr. Andrew H. Rosenstein M.D.7505 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204
- Dr. Richard A. Baum MD1600 Crain Highway Glen Burnie Maryland 21061