Dr. Ryan S. Shugarman, MD
Psychiatrist | Psychiatry901 N Washington St Ste 601 Alexandria VA, 22314
Dr. Ryan Shugarman is a clinical and forensic psychiatrist practicing in Alexandria, VA. He is a medical doctor specializing in the care of patients seeking counseling and/or medication management for emotional distress or mental health conditions. As a psychiatrist, Dr. Shugarman diagnoses and treats mental illnesses. Dr. Shugarman may treat patients through a variety of methods including medications, psychotherapy or talk therapy, psychosocial interventions and more, depending on each individual case. Different medications that a psychiatrist might prescribe include antidepressants, antipsychotic mediations, mood stabilizers, stimulants, sedatives and hypnotics. Dr. Shugarman treats conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD, bipolar disorder, insomnia, ADHD, and other mental illnesses.
Education and Training
U. of Pittsburgh School of Med General Psychiatry Residency 2008
U. of Pittsburgh School of Med Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship 2009
University of Maryland School of Medicine M.D. 2004
Cornell University B.A. 1999
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology- Psychiatry
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology- Forensic Psychiatry
Psychiatry and NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyABPN- 2009
Psychiatry and NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyABPN- Forensic Psychiatry- 2011
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local, Regional and National Lecture and Public Speaking- Instructor -
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry Georgetown University Hospital 11 - Present
- Award for Outstanding Teaching 6 American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
- Finalist 2007 American Psychoanalytic Associations' Fellowship Program
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation
- Initial Comprehensive Psychiatric Evaluation
- Medication Management
- Pharmacogenetic Profile
- Medication Management for Learning and Behavioral Disabilities
- Medication Management, Alcohol Abuse, Anger Management And More
- Individual Counseling And Psychotherapy
- Individual Counseling
- Psychotherapy - Individual
- Psychotherapy For Adults
- Anxiety And Depression
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (ptsd)
- Forensic Consultations, Expert Witness Testimony, In Civil And Criminal Cases
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
- American Medical Association
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine / Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic Forensic Psychiatry 2009
Experience & Accolades
- Attending Forensic Psychiatrist2013 - 2013District of Columbia Department of Mental HealthThis part-time position involved conducting assessments of competency to stand trial for pretrial defendants enrolled in the District of Columbia Department of Mental Health’s Outpatient Competency Restoration Program (OCRP).
- Attending Forensic Psychiatrist2009 - 2012Saint Elizabeths Hospital and District of Columbia Department of Mental HealthThis position entailed providing psychiatric care and performing forensic evaluations in both inpatient and outpatient settings. I also served as an instructor and supervisor for psychiatric fellows, residents, and medical students.
- Distinguished Fellow2007American Psychiatric AssociationA member of this association since 2007, in 2018, I was inducted as a Distinguished Fellow of the APA.
- Member2007American Academy of Psychiatry and the LawI am a general member and a member of the criminal behavior committee.
- Member2009Washington Psychiatric SocietyFrom 2012 through 2014, I served as the Early Career Psychiatrist representative to the WPS.
- Member2000American Medical AssociationGeneral member
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (Forensic Psychiatry)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
Dr. Ryan S. Shugarman, MD's Practice location
Dr. Ryan S. Shugarman, MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Shugarman
- Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis
The following are some of the treatments of MS that focus on slowing the progression of the disease, speeding recovery from attacks, and managing symptoms.Treatments for MS Attacks...
- Early Warning Signs of Multiple Sclerosis
Is it Multiple Sclerosis?Although some of the symptoms of multiple sclerosis are common, there is no definitive pattern that applies to everyone. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis also resemble those of many other diseases. What sets the symptoms of MS apart from other conditions is time. In many...
OverviewA seizure is a sudden event caused by an uncontrolled electrical disturbance in the brain. When a seizure happens, you lose control of your body, possibly lose consciousness, and convulse. Seizures can also cause behavioral changes and changes in the levels of your consciousness, including...
- Depression in Seniors
What is depression?Depression is a mood disorder that causes an individual to feel sad, lonely, lost, angry, hopeless, or frustrated daily. These severe emotions can interfere with the individual's everyday life. For elders, depression can arise through hard life experiences, like losing a spouse,...
- How to Know if Your Child Has ADHD
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of those complex mental disorders that can negatively affect a child’s success in education and the relationship with other children. ADHD symptoms usually vary and are sometimes hard to be recognized since most children will exhibit them at...
- Clinical Depression: How it Affects Men and Women
Clinical depression is associated with social, occupational, and physical impairments. People commonly perceive that depression is a trivial condition that is not entirely genuine. However, depression is a real illness with real and debilitating symptoms, and should not be perceived as anything...
- Dr. Richard Greenberg MD2112 F Street Washington District of Columbia 20037
- Asad Masri M.D.713 FORDS LANDING WAY ALEXANDRIA VA 22314
- Henry Claude Barbot720 North Saint Asaph Street Alexandria Virginia 22314-1960
- Dr. Niku Singh MD3300 GALLOWS RD FALLS CHURCH VA 22042
- Dr. Betsy Jane Cooper M.D.927 South Walter Reed Drive Arlington Virginia 22204
- Dr. Spencer F. Johnson M.D.4400 Stamp Road Temple Hills Maryland 20748