Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) is a highly concentrated, heated chemotherapy treatment that is delivered directly to the abdomen during surgery. Unlike systemic chemotherapy delivery, which circulates throughout the body, HIPEC delivers chemotherapy directly to cancer cells in the abdomen. This allows for higher doses of chemotherapy treatment. Heating the solution may also improve the absorption of chemotherapy drugs by tumors and destroy microscopic cancer cells that remain in the abdomen after surgery.
Education and Training
MD at New York University School of Medicine
MBA at George Washington University
American Board of Surgery- General Surgery
American Board of Surgery- Surgical Oncology
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- National, International- Lecturing, Presented to the World Congress -
- TV/Radio -
- Received $10 Million in Government Grants
- Cedars-Sinai, UCLA Health System
- Surgical Research Fellowship at Cedars-Sinai, UCLA Health System, Surgical Oncology Fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Hepatobiliary at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Professional Society Memberships
- American College of Surgeons, American Medical Association, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Transplant Association, Head of the Gastroenterology and Hepatobiliary Programs of the National Cancer Institute 2006-2012
Articles and Publications
- 100+ Peer Reviewed Publications and He is the Founder and Editor of the E-Journal
What do you attribute your success to?
- Never giving up and believing in God.
Hobbies / Sports
Itzhak Avital's Practice location
Somerset, New Jersey 08873Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Itzhak Avital | Surgical Oncologist | Surgical Oncology
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Itzhak Avital's reviewsWrite Review
- The Most Common Misconceptions About Breast Cancer
There is so much information you can read online about breast cancer. Some information may be acquired in the community, friends, or family that is totally misleading or incorrect. Although not backed up with solid evidence, such information can cause a lot of media attention, which can further...
- Ovarian Cancer Is Not Only Deadly, But Very Hard to Detect. Women Need to Stay Vigilant
September is known as Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. Ovarian cancer is a type of cancer of the cells of the ovaries. It can occur in several different parts of the ovary, including the germ, stromal or epithelial cells. Germ cells are the cells that become eggs, stromal cells make up the substance...
- An Overview of Gallbladder Diseases
What is the gallbladder?The gallbladder is a four-inch, pear-shaped organ situated below your liver. It acts as a storage organ for bile, which is a mixture of fats, cholesterol, and fluids. The main purpose of bile is to help in breaking down fats during digestion. The whole process allows for easy...
- Bone Health Drugs for Breast Cancer
IntroductionLike any other drug or therapy, breast cancer treatment also has its own side effects. One of the side effects of breast cancer treatment is rapid bone loss leading to osteoporosis. The following are treatments for breast cancer that can significantly cause bone loss:...
- Treatment Options for Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in women. However, unlike the other forms of cancer, cervical cancer can be cured if it is discovered early on. That’s why cervical screening tests are necessary.Cervical cancer usually has no apparent symptoms in the primary stages. The...
- What Is Gastric Cancer: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Gastric cancer, also known as stomach cancer, begins when cancer cells form in the inner lining of the stomach. This disease does not show clear signs and symptoms until it enters the later stages. The cancer may spread from the stomach to essential parts like the liver, lungs, bones, and lymph...
- Dr. Leah S. Gendler M.D.100 Madison Avenue Morristown New Jersey 07962
- Dr. Thangamani Seenivasan MD110 Rehill Ave Somerville NJ 08876
- Dr. Deborah Marie Capko MD136 Mountain View Blvd Basking Ridge NJ 07920
- Dr. Matthew Yongwon Suh MD1425 Madison Ave New York NY 10029
- Dr. Jan A. Huston47 Maple St Summit NJ 07901
- Dr. Rachel Leah Farkas M.D.601 Elmwood Ave Rochester NY 14642