Psychiatrist | Psychiatry152 N Humphrey Ave Apt G1 Oak Park IL, 60302
Gen Tanaka, MD is a psychiatrist working at McHale Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois and is also affiliated with Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Dr. Tanaka was educated at Keck School of Medicine of USC, completed a residency at Harvard Medical School and is currently working on a fellowship at Northwestern University. He was also a research associate at the University of Tokyo from 2010 to 2011. Additionally, Dr. Tanaka is the chair of the American Unit of UNESCO File Ethics, Psychiatry and Law for Forensic Psychiatry with Dr. Thomas Gutaeil.
Education and Training
MD (Medical Doctorate) from Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-Board Certified
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- International- Research Associate at the University of Tokyo 2010-2011 -
- National Merit Scholar, Finalist
- Carnegie Mellon University, Universty Honors and Department Honors
- Forensic Psychiatry at Northwestern University- 2016
Professional Society Memberships
- Member of the American Unit of UNESCO Bioethics Chair, American Psychiatric Association, American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, The Program in Psychiatry and The Law
Articles and Publications
What do you attribute your success to?
I am thankful for my peers who always inspired me with their high aspirations. Also, I am thankful for my father who has been a wonderful role model as a physician and an academian.
Areas of research
Teaching and speaking
Clinical and research supervisions at multiple academic institutions including Department of Molecular Psychiatry at University of Tokyo, Harvard Medical School-South Shore Psychiatry Program, Feinberg School of Medicine of Northwestern University
Hobbies / Sports
- Reading, Karate, Travel
Favorite professional publications
- The American Journal of Psychiatry
Areas of research
Gen Tanaka's Practice location
Oak Park, IL 60302Get Direction
- How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
The typical cases of schizophrenia are easy to diagnose. The difficult to diagnose are those belonging to an ill-defined group that includes the so-called latent cases, borderline, character disorder, quasi-psychotic psychopaths, severe personality difficulties, and so on. The diagnosis made in...
- Meditate to Concentrate: The Science Behind Meditation
The science behind meditationPeople who meditate use their brain in such a way that it helps them avoid distraction and concentrate on the their task, says a new study. People who meditate regularly have less activity in that part of the brain associated with distractions and day dreaming....
- Which Specialists Can Treat ADHD?
People suffering from attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) encounter several challenges including social, academic or professional difficulties. These issues make it important for ADHD patients to receive definitive treatments that work for them. ADHD is also very common among children....
- The Science Behind Depression: What Happens in Your Brain
Although the causes of depression are often associated with tragic life events, pregnancy, retirement, or conflicts in a relationship, this complex disorder is scientifically believed to be caused by a chemical imbalance. This chemical imbalance can be a result of a genetic vulnerability,...
- ADHD: How it Impacts the Family
Any negative medical condition suffered by one family member usually carries over to the rest of the family. How an ADHD diagnosis can affect the whole familyOnce a child, teenager, or even an adult, is diagnosed with ADHD, the impact of the diagnosis will be felt by the entire family. Furthermore,...
- Dr. Rose Gomez M.D.,7600 W COLLEGE DR PALOS HEIGHTS IL 60463
- Dr. Gary Alan Willer Other30 North Michigan Avenue Chicago Illinois 60602
- Lucyna Maria Puszkarska5420 N Milwaukee Ave Chicago IL 60630
- Ms. Inna L. Golber MD4555 Oakton St. Skokie Illinois 60076
- Michel R. Louvain300 North State Street Chicago Illinois 60654
- Dr. Martins A. Adeoye MD15010 South Ravinia Avenue Orland Park Illinois 60462