Janice E. Cohen, MD, is a holistic psychiatrist and psychotherapist with a private practice in San Francisco, California. She specializes in comprehensive, individualized, integrated care for adults and adolescents with depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, trauma, and problems of transition and loss. Dr. Cohen holds 20 years of diversified experience in her specialty. She received her medical degree from the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine in 1991, as well as her Bachelor Degree at the City University of New York. Dr. Cohen completed an internship in internal medicine at Mount Zion Medical Center of the University of California, San Francisco, and also at Massachusetts Mental Health Center, Boston. She served a general psychiatry residency at the University of Maryland at Baltimore, School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry.
Education and Training
MD at the University of California
San Francisco School of Medicine
BA at the City University of New York Baccalaureate Program
City College of New York
Univ of Ca, San Francisco, Sch of Med, San Francisco Ca 1991
University of California 1991
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local Public Speaking -
- Summa Cum Laude awarded January, 1985
- 1974-77 Awarded production grants for
- 1984 City College of New York Alumni Fund Scholarship Recipient
- 1986 American Jewish Women's Foundation Scholarship Recipient
- 1993-94 National Institute of Mental Health Research Service Award Recipient (UC Berkeley)
- 1994 National Institute of Mental Health Research Service Award Recipient (NASMHPD)
- 1995 Research grant award from the Mini-Grant Program of the Evaluation Center at HSRI
- 1996 American Public Health Association Mental Health Section Award
- Univ Of Md Med Sys, Psychiatry; Univ Ca Sf Sch Of Med, Internal Medicine
- University Ca Sf School Of Med
- University of Maryland Program
- General Psychiatry Residency Completed June, 2000 at University of Maryland at Baltimore, School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry
- Internship in Internal Medicine Completed June, 1992 at Mount Zion Medical Center of University of California, San Francisco, Internship at Massachusetts Mental Health Center, Boston
Areas of research
- June 1993 -94 University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health Research Training Program In Financing and Service Delivery in Mental HealthNIMH Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Favorite professional publications
- Psychiatric Times Journal
- Behavioral Health
- CIGNA Dental PPO
- Choice Fund Open Access Plus
- Choice Fund Open Access Plus with CareLink
- Choice Fund PPO
- FL Health Savings
- FL Open Access
- FL Open Access Value
- HMO - Northern California
- HMO - Northern California Open Access
- HMO - Southern California
- HMO - Southern California Open Access
- HMO Open Access
- Health Savings
- Medicare Access
- Medicare Select (HMO)
- Network - Northern California
- Network - Northern California Open Access
- Network - Southern California
- Network - Southern California Open Access
- Network Open Access
- Network POS
- Open Access Plan
- Open Access Plus ONLY
- Open Access Plus/CareLink
- POS - Northern California
- POS - Northern California Open Access
- POS - Southern California
- POS - Southern California Open Access
- POS Open Access
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Vision PPO
- Workers' Compensation
Dr. Janice E. Cohen M.D.'s Practice location
San Francisco, CA 94122 Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Janice E. Cohen M.D. | Psychiatrist | Psychiatry
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Janice E. Cohen M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- What are the Treatment Methods for ADHD?
Reported cases of ADHD have been on the rise lately. In fact, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that as many as 11% of children between the ages of four years old and 17 years old have been diagnosed with ADHD. ADHD is a disease characterized by ongoing patterns of...
- Different Types of Anxiety Disorders You Should Know About
Everyone feels anxious from time to time, but chronic anxiety can adversely impact the quality of your life. While in moderation, anxiety is not a bad thing, but when it becomes intense, it can have serious consequences on your physical health too. Everyone experiences anxiety differently. Some have...
- Understanding Clinical Depression
Clinical depression is a serious medical illness that negatively affects how an individual feels, thinks, and how he or she acts. Depression varies from mild to severe, and in certain instances the individual can experience temporary episodes of sadness.Clinical depression is also known as major...
- What Is Akathisia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
What is akathisia?Akathisia is a feeling of anxiety or restlessness. Its symptoms tend to overlap with the symptoms of other physical and psychological disorders. The diagnosis depends on a very subjective feeling of restlessness. Hence, recognizing akathisia can be somewhat tricky. Movement...
- What Specialists Can Conduct Cognitive Behavioral Therapies?
When you are in a challenging situation that affects your behavior or thinking, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can help you achieve peace within yourself by breaking down your situation into five different parts:...
- Depression Leads to Non-Adherence of COPD Medication
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive disease, which currently does not have a cure yet, as modern medicine has not found a way to reverse the damage done to the airways and lungs. For this reason, there is a slow and long-term development of debilitating symptoms. The...
- Dr. Vladimir Bokarius M.D., PH.D., L.AC 3260 Blume Drive Richmond California 94806
- Dr. William W. Foote M.D. 1819 Union St San Francisco CA 94123
- Dr. Melissa E. Vallas M.D. 2045 Fairmont Drive San Leandro California 94578
- Dr. Adam Phillip Nelson M.D. 45 Camino Alto Mill Valley CA 94941
- Dr. Steven A. Frankel M.D. 1044 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Kentfield California 94904
- Dr. Lawrence T Petrakis M.D. 909 Hyde St San Francisco CA 94109