I offer a warm and safe environment within which each client and I explore concerns and facilitate the rediscovery of forgotten parts of themselves. Together we find alternative perspectives and solutions to problems that have made the client feel stuck. Our work helps facilitate an deeper connection to oneself, others, and the larger world, resulting in an increased feeling of balance and being fully alive.
My approach is integrative and holistic, based in cognitive-behavioral and interpersonal approaches and infused with mindfulness, an awareness of direct experience in the here and now which allows us to cultivate compassion and wisdom. I also use Somatic Experiencing to facilitate healing from and integration of trauma and difficult experiences.
Working together with clients, we explore the connection among emotions, physical sensations, and thoughts, making connections to and drawing strength from this vital inner wisdom. Appreciation of our internal experience leads to greater clarity, cultivation of better relationships with ourselves and others, more thoughtful action in the world, and subsequently, more satisfying decisions and outcomes. As we learn how experiences are stored in the body, we gain a deeper understanding of ourselves and we develop the opportunity to change patterns that are no longer working so that we can feel more effective in life.
Education and Training
Leslie K. Dalton's Expert Contributions
The age of consent for mental health treatment is 14; so if the child is under 14 then the therapist or psychiatrist can share information with you. If the child is 14 or older, he or she has the right to give consent (or not) for information to be shared, and the treating clinician would need the client's written permission to do so. Leslie Dalton READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
- I have an individual therapy practice primarily focused in the following areas: trauma, anxiety, life transitions, spirituality, mind/body approaches, multicultural issues, and depression.
Professional Society Memberships
- American Psychological Association, Virginia Psychological Association, Northern Virginia Academy of Clinical Psychologists
What do you attribute your success to?
My career path has always felt like more of a calling; I am interested in understanding people both as individuals and as part of the human collective. I resonate with the role of helping people heal and thrive at the highest level of health and happiness. The authentic connection that I cultivate with each client supports this process.
Hobbies / Sports
- Yoga, kickboxing, reading, meditation, music
Leslie K. Dalton's Practice location
Request An Appointment With Leslie K. Dalton | Psychologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Leslie K. Dalton's reviewsWrite Review
- Lifestyle Changes to Deal with Insomnia
Sleep is a way for the body to recuperate itself and revive from the entire day’s tired schedule. Sleeping is one of the most crucial functions of the body, and getting a good night’s sleep helps one to carry on their everyday functions normally. Even one day of disturbed sleep can leave you...
- What is Trichotillomania?
Trichotillomania, or hair pulling disorder, is a mental disorder in which people have a strong desire and urge to pull out hair from different parts of their body, including the scalp and eyebrows. In this type of disorder — also considered an impulse control disorder — one finds it hard to...
- What to Expect During Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
What does CBT involve?The CBT sessionsThere are individual and group sessions. Some sessions are on hand books or even computer programs. Nowadays, you can connect to a therapist online.If you opt for individual CBT:...
- Why Is It That Some Children With Autism Find It Difficult To Recognize Faces?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), around 1 in every 160 children has an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). ASD refers to a developmental disorder characterized by varying degrees of impaired social interaction, disturbances in communication and language, as well as repetitive...
- New Study: People with Autism Might Be Less Susceptible to Surprise
A team of researchers from the United Kingdom has found something new about adults with autism. They recently published their findings in the well-respected journal, Nature Neuroscience. This team helped discover some explanations for autistic behaviors. What they found might help us understand why...
- What Is the Difference Between Depression and Anxiety?
Understanding the difference between depression and anxiety is not an easy task, as mental health conditions are far more complicated. The most common mental illnesses are depression, anxiety, and substance use disorder. It is common for these three types of mental illnesses to occur in combination....
- Dr. Hoorie Siddique PH.D.962 Wayne Avenue Silver Spring MD 20910
- Dr. Maria Del Carmen Puig-Casauranc PHD3000 CONNECTICUT AVE NW WASHINGTON DC 20008
- Dr. Maurine Kelber Kelly PHD11621 Yeatman Terrace Silver Spring Maryland 20902
- Dr. Katherine Grace MacLean PSYD1555 Connecticut Avenue NW Washington DC 20036
- Samira Joron-Badr20509 Morningside Terrace Sterling VA 20165
- Don A. Miller PHD316 F Street North East Washington DC 20002