Education and Training
The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
1980. The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
1972. The University of Chicago
B.A. in English Language and Literature
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local- School Consults; Teaching; NPR Radio -
- Patient's Choice Award, Opencare, 2015
- Career Teacher Award, University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1978
- Dissertation Award, The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1977, 1978
- Children, Adolescents, Young Adults, Adults, Couple
Professional Society Memberships
- Illinois Psychological Association, American Psychological Association, ISTSS, The Family Law Think-Tank, Pretzel & Stouffer, The Latin School Divorce Project, American Psychological Association
Articles and Publications
What do you attribute your success to?
I am a psychologist with more than 40 years of experience. Philosophically, my clinical practice is based upon a bedrock of psychodynamic psychotherapy. In addition, I pride myself on incorporating the most recent contemporary scientific and therapeutic thinking. I am known for always going the extra mile to help patients, which I feel is an important component for providing excellent clinical care. I have been unusually fortunate with my education and in particular with mentors throughout my professional carreer who have dedicated themselves to guiding me. At this point I am the mentor to a new generation of psychologists.
Areas of research
Application of Neuroscience to the understanding of psychotherapy
The University of Chicago
American Jewish World SErvice
Cooper Union School of Art and Architecture
American Psychological Association
Teaching and speaking
Adjunct faculty: The Chicago Institute for Clinical Social Work, 1987- 1988.
Faculty: Summer Institute, The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1991-1992.
Adjunct faculty: The University of Illinois, The College of Medicine, 1982-1985.
Assistant Professor: The Jane Addams College of Social Work, The University of Illinois at
Lecturer: The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1976-1978.
Research Assistant: Columbus Mother-Infant Interaction Study, Department of Education, The
University of Chicago, 1973-1976.
j Continuing Education Program: The School of Social Service Administration, the uni of Chicago "Adolescence Today," 2005
Group Therapist: West Side Veteran’s Administration Hospital, Chicago, 1967-1970.
Research Assistant: The Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School, The University of Chicago, 1965-
Hobbies / Sports
- Fitness, Fashion, Architecture and Design, Granddaughters
Favorite professional publications
- The Networker
Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D.'s Practice location
Request An Appointment With Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D. | Psychologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- How an Autism Expert Failed to See His Own Son's Asperger's
Many children with Asperger’s syndrome are initially diagnosed with ADHD and then later diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome in adulthood when seeking help for directly related matters such as depression or persistent anxiety. This is how it took professor Tony Attwood, clinical psychologist, 35...
- How Depression Affects Men and Women
How Common Is Depression in Men?Although it has been found that women experience depression two times more than men, this fact can't deny that men are as vulnerable to this mental disorder as women. According to research, over 6 million men in the U.S. suffer from clinical depression every year. The...
- What Is Tourette’s?
Tourette’s syndrome is characterized by vocalization and movements that are involuntary and repetitive. It is a type of tic disorder. The pioneer Dr George Gilles De La Tourette first discovered the condition in 1885 in an eighty-six-year-old French noblewoman. Typically, in childhood, early...
- Why Women Love Literotica
People think about sex, people talk about sex, people like sex – it’s no big secret. However, even in the 21st century, pornography is perceived as a predominantly male interest. Regardless of stereotypes, the fact is that women have the same type of healthy sexual interest like men do. Many...
- “Did You Say Mama?” Five-Year-Old with Nonverbal Autism Surprises Parents
Around 30% of individuals on the autism spectrum use only a few words or do not speak at all. These individuals are described as having nonverbal autism and 5-year-old Taylor Blakenship from Athens, Alabama is one of them. ...
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss: How Does Wellbutrin Work for Weight Loss?
What is Wellbutrin?Wellbutrin is a brand name of bupropion. It is an antidepressant and is mainly used to treat seasonal depression and major depressive disorder. It works by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. ...
- Dr. James N. Watzke PH.D.1 South 376 Summit Ave Oakbrook Terrace IL 60181
- Dr. Camille Ference PHD161 N Marion St Oak Park IL 60301
- Dr. Barbara M. Stock PH.D.2530 Crawford Ave Evanston IL 60201
- Dr. Carey Woodruff PH.D.1787 Saint Johns Ave Highland Park IL 60035
- Jessica Myszak2700 Patriot Boulevard Suite 250 Glenview IL 60026
- Dr. Judith A Holmes PHD6547 N Avondale Ave Chicago IL 60631