Education and Training
The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
1980. The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration
1972. The University of Chicago
B.A. in English Language and Literature
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Local- School Consults; Teaching; NPR Radio -
- Patient's Choice Award, Opencare, 2015
- Career Teacher Award, University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1978
- Dissertation Award, The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1977, 1978
- Children, Adolescents, Young Adults, Adults, Couple
Professional Society Memberships
- Illinois Psychological Association, American Psychological Association, ISTSS, The Family Law Think-Tank, Pretzel & Stouffer, The Latin School Divorce Project, American Psychological Association
Articles and Publications
What do you attribute your success to?
I am a psychologist with more than 40 years of experience. Philosophically, my clinical practice is based upon a bedrock of psychodynamic psychotherapy. In addition, I pride myself on incorporating the most recent contemporary scientific and therapeutic thinking. I am known for always going the extra mile to help patients, which I feel is an important component for providing excellent clinical care. I have been unusually fortunate with my education and in particular with mentors throughout my professional carreer who have dedicated themselves to guiding me. At this point I am the mentor to a new generation of psychologists.
Areas of research
Application of Neuroscience to the understanding of psychotherapy
The University of Chicago
American Jewish World SErvice
Cooper Union School of Art and Architecture
American Psychological Association
Teaching and speaking
Adjunct faculty: The Chicago Institute for Clinical Social Work, 1987- 1988.
Faculty: Summer Institute, The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1991-1992.
Adjunct faculty: The University of Illinois, The College of Medicine, 1982-1985.
Assistant Professor: The Jane Addams College of Social Work, The University of Illinois at
Lecturer: The University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, 1976-1978.
Research Assistant: Columbus Mother-Infant Interaction Study, Department of Education, The
University of Chicago, 1973-1976.
j Continuing Education Program: The School of Social Service Administration, the uni of Chicago "Adolescence Today," 2005
Group Therapist: West Side Veteran’s Administration Hospital, Chicago, 1967-1970.
Research Assistant: The Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School, The University of Chicago, 1965-
Hobbies / Sports
- Fitness, Fashion, Architecture and Design, Granddaughters
Favorite professional publications
- The Networker
- Chicago Lakeshore Hospital
Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D.'s Practice location
Request An Appointment With Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D. | Psychologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Merilyn Salomon PH.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- Micah Johnson- Dallas Cop-Killer Did He Suffer From PTSD
Micah Xavier Johnson, 25 years old from Mesquite, Texas, seemed to be one of America's heroes...an army veteran. With no known ties to terror, no criminal past, and a record as an upstanding member of the U.S. military with a completed tour to Afghanistan, how could it be that this...
- How to Teach Children About Autism
Parenthood is basically one long teaching job. All parents want their children to grow up to be healthy, well-loved, and good people. This is not easily done. There are so many misconceptions in society about a variety of issues that children can be taught to ignore. Parents also want to ensure that...
- What's a Nymphomaniac?
What is Nymphomania?Nymphomania is a mental and emotional condition in women characterized by a sudden increase or extreme frequency of sexual urges or activity. To differentiate this from promiscuity and lust, the condition features a preoccupation with sex-related thoughts, feelings, or even...
- Marriage, Relationships, and Autism
An autism diagnosis can be life changing in many ways, but many wonder how it will impact their relationships, marriages, and other long-term plans.MarriageLife is like a roller coaster. There are highs and lows.However, your partner is supposed to be there through all of it with you, and you will...
- What Age Group is Affected by Binge Eating Disorder?
Binge eating disorder is a serious, but curable eating disorder. Common characteristics of binge eating disorder consist of suicide risks, functional weakness and increased rate of the psychiatric condition co-occurring. Body image despair and eating disorders: what’s age got to do with it?The...
- How Google Glass Can Change How Kids with Autism Read and Speak
Typically, children with autism struggle communicating with others in back and forth conversations. For this reason, researchers at the University of Toronto have developed an app called Holli, which works with Google Glass and serves as an aid for children with ASD.The software has a program that...
- Dr. Camille Ference PHD1100 Lake St Oak Park Illinois 60301
- Dr. Adam L. Shafer PSY.D.820 W Jackson Blvd Chicago Illinois 60607
- Dr. Barbara M. Stock PH.D.2530 Crawford Ave Evanston IL 60201
- Dr. Carey Woodruff PH.D.201 E Park St Mundelein IL 60060
- Dr. Judith A Holmes PHD1440 Renaissance Dr Park Ridge IL 60068
- Dr. Megan Nicole Scott PH.D.5841 S Maryland Ave Chicago IL 60637