Education and Training
Kasturba Medical College
University of Rochester Medical Center
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Teacher and Supervisor for Geriatric Psychiatric Fellows at SUNY Downstate Medical Center -
- Chief Resident, LSUHSC Psychiatry Residency Program 2003-2004
- Medical College of Louisiana Resident of the Year 2003
- Inclusion in Find A Top Doc Website 2016
- Winner of AAGP Stepping Stones Award 2003
- Top Psychiatrist Award New York 2016 The Leading Physicians of the World
- American Association of Geriatric Psychiatrists
- American Medical Association
- American Association of Community Psychiatrists
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Society Addiction Medicine
- New England Medical Center (Tufts) and LSU School of Medicine, New Orleans (Chief Resident) (2003-2004)
Charities and Philanthropic Endeavors
- Ek Disha Board Member (Houston)
- Mercy For Animals (2006-present)
- Humane Society (2008-present)
- Soi Dog Foundation (2010- present)
- Depression, Bipolar Disorder, ADHD, Anxiety, Psychotic Disorders, Suicide, OCD, Substance Abuse, Med Management & Psychotherapy
Professional Society Memberships
- American Association of Community Psychiatrists, ASAM, AAGP, American Psychiatric Association.
What do you attribute your success to?
- Her father Govind Balakrishnan, MD, who instilled a great work ethic in her.
- See above
- Was a board member of Ek Disha in Houston, TX for 2 years, a charitable organization which helps the underserved in India as well as many other third world countries.
- Held a large fundraiser for Mercy for Animals, PETA, and Humane Society as part of my animal rights activism efforts. Raised over $300,000.
Teaching and speaking
- Recently taught and supervised SUNY Downstate Geriatric psychiatry fellows while in charge of oupatient Canarsie Satellite Clinic at Kingsbor Psychiatric Center.
- Have a great deal of experience teaching (and speaking to) psychiatry residents and medical students from my time as Chief Resident at LSU in New Orleans.
- Have a great deal of public speaking experience.
Hobbies / Sports
- Animal rights activist, Interior Decorating
Maya B. Puri's Practice location
Manhattan, NY 10174Get Direction
New York, NY 10018Get Direction
Manhattan, NY 10022Get Direction
Manhattan, NY 10001Get Direction
New York, NY 10013Get Direction
Manhattan, NY 10013Get Direction
Manhattan, NY 10016Get Direction
Manhattan, NY 10005Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Maya B. Puri | Psychiatrist | Psychiatry
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Maya B. Puri's reviewsWrite Review
- How to Cope with Your Depression
After being diagnosed with depression, it is important to learn how to cope with it and not fall into despair, as this could lead to severe consequences. Take the prescribed medicationAntidepressants may be prescribed to help improve your mood and enable you to return to your regular activities....
- What Is a Psychosomatic Disorder?
What is a psychosomatic disorder?It is a disorder wherein physical symptoms develop due to mental factors. The term "psyche" refers to the word "mind" and "somatic" means the observed physical signs and symptoms of the disease. Every disease has physical and mental components, so most diseases are...
- Does Flakka Induce Psychosis?
In the world of drugs, there is always a struggle to create better and more potent drugs. For the sellers, the motive is clear--to beat their competition by producing superior quality drugs. On the other hand, most users prefer designer drugs because they are often more potent, have fewer side...
- Everything You Need To Know About Major Depressive Disorder
Major depressive disorder (MDD) — also referred to as clinical depression — and Dysthymia are two of the most common types of depression. While there are some less common types too, MDD is a condition that is quite common among people today. In fact, according to the National Institute of...
- What are the Treatment Methods for ADHD?
Reported cases of ADHD have been on the rise lately. In fact, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that as many as 11% of children between the ages of four years old and 17 years old have been diagnosed with ADHD. ADHD is a disease characterized by ongoing patterns of...
- What Is the Trazodone Drug Prescribed For?
Depression is a medical condition affecting the mental health of an individual. Depression can cause various other secondary illnesses along with it. To treat depression, it is extremely important to timely diagnose the condition and treat it with the help of a medical expert who can guide you with...
- Dr. Maurice Masse MD7701 13th Ave Brooklyn NY 11228
- Barbara Bartlick865 West End Avenue New York NY 10025
- Dr. Calvin H. Haber M.D.1 Hickory Rd Woodmere New York 11598
- Dr. Elena Bruck M.D.FIRST AVENUE AT 16TH STREET NEW YORK NY 10003
- Maia Mamamtavrishvili15900 Riverside Drive West New York New York 10032
- Dr. Mariela Teresa Padro M.D.38 Winthrop Pl Staten Island NY 10314