Todd H. Baron, MD, is a Professor and Director of Advanced Endoscopy in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in the University Of North Carolina School Of Medicine. Prior to coming to UNC, he served as director of pancreaticobiliary endoscopy at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for 15 years. He is highly recognized for his innovations in advanced endoscopic procedures such as pancreaticobiliary therapies. He received his medical degree from the University Of Florida College Of Medicine and then interned and served his fellowship at the University of Alabama Medical Center. Dr. Barron is board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and gastroenterology and remains an active member of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Dr. Baron has served as chair of the Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and is currently president of the Society of Gastrointestinal Intervention. He incorporates endoscopic ultrasound, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery into his advanced endoscopic practice for diagnosis and therapy. He is interested in developing improved methods of treating a variety of conditions using interventional endoscopic techniques, many of which were previously treated surgically. He is Director of Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy at UNC, and has authored more than 450 papers. Dr. Baron is editor of a comprehensive textbook entitled ERCP, now in its second edition. He recently completed training in endoscopic ultrasound.
Education and Training
University of Florida College of Medicine
Univ of Fl Coll of Med, Gainesville Fl 1986
American Board of Internal Medicine- Gastroenterology
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal MedicineABIM- Gastroenterology
- Stenotrophomonas (Xanthomonas) maltophilia infection in necrotizing pancreatitis.
- Acute necrotizing pancreatitis.
- Proximal migration of a pancreatic duct stent: endoscopic retrieval using interventional cardiology accessories.
- Treatment of a radiation-induced sigmoid stricture with an expandable metal stent.
- Endoscopic transgastric irrigation tube placement via PEG for debridement of organized pancreatic necrosis.
- Biliary sludge.
- Evaluation and endoscopic palliation of cholangiocarcinoma. Management of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Advances in gastrointestinal intervention: the treatment of gastroduodenal and colorectal obstructions with metallic stents.
- Endoscopic removal of an embedded biliary Wallstent by piecemeal extraction.
- Results of direct percutaneous endoscopic jejunostomy, an alternative method for providing jejunal feeding.
- Stents and lasers for colonoscopic lesions.
- Chemotherapy impregnated plastic biliary endoprostheses: one small step for man(agement) of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Endoscopic hemoclip placement for post-sphincterotomy bleeding.
- Establishing a systematic endoscopic approach to the management of anastomotic biliary strictures is needed.
- Expandable metal stents for the treatment of cancerous obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Duke Univ Med Ctr, Gastroenterology; Univ Of Al Hosp, Gastroenterology; Univ Of Al Hosp, Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine at the University of Alabama
- University of Alabama Medical Center
Professional Society Memberships
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Articles and Publications
- Performed endoscopy procedures and lectures in thirty different countries.
Dr. Todd H. Baron M.D.'s Practice location
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514Get Direction
ROCHESTER, MN 55905Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. Todd H. Baron M.D. | Gastroenterologist | Gastroenterology
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Todd H. Baron M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Baron
- Colonoscopy: What to Expect During Recovery
A colonoscopy is an outpatient procedure, wherein the rectum and the large intestine are checked. You do not need to stay overnight at the hospital or clinic unless your doctor needs to have additional tests done or needs you to be monitored for a short while.A colonoscopy can be used to identify...
- Reasons Why You Need a Gallbladder Surgery
The gallbladder is found under the liver on the right side of the abdomen. It has the shape of a pear and looks like a small sac. Your liver produces a fluid used during digestion known as bile. The gallbladder stores bile before releasing it into the small intestine. If the gallbladder is infected...
- Doctors Recommend Pneumonia Vaccine to Celiac Disease Patients
Disorders in the immune system can cause abnormally high or low activity of the immune system. It is also known that celiac disease is an autoimmune condition. This disease is a severe genetic condition. It means that the antibodies start attacking the body instead of fighting off infections such as...
- Blood in Your Stool: Where Does It Come From?
Where does the bleeding come from?Bleeding that causes blood in the stool can develop in any part of the gastrointestinal tract....
- Study Finds Link Between Celiac Disease and Anorexia in Women
A recent study has found that celiac disease and anorexia are often linked and shared similar symptoms, in more than a few ways.The similarities between these conditions are physical in appearance, making it difficult to discern without medical consolation. To an untrained professional, anorexia...
- Who Gets Cholera?
Cholera is an infection that is caused by a bacterium known as Vibrio cholerae, which attacks the small intestines. This disease is extremely contagious, especially in areas where there is poor sanitation or during disasters such as floods. It is capable of killing people who are infected within...
- Dr. Valli Kodali M.D.7560 Carpenter Fire Station Rd Cary NC 27519
- Dr. Martin Poleski MD2100 Erwin Rd Durham NC 27710
- Dr. Yolanda V Scarlett MD300 Meadowmont Village Circle Chapel Hill NC 27517
- Dr. Ryan B Sartor MD300 Meadowmont Village Circle Chapel Hill NC 27517
- Dr. Rahul A Shimpi MD2100 Erwin Rd Durham NC 27710
- Dr. Yehuda Ringel MD101 Manning Dr Chapel Hill NC 27599