Dr. Rex Hamilton is known throughout the United States and the world as a leader in laser vision correction and premium cataract surgery. He pioneered many new surgical techniques during his 15 years as Professor and Director of the UCLA Laser Refractive Center at the Stein Eye Institute. He performed the first Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) procedure on the West Coast in March 2017. Dr. Hamilton looks forward to meeting you, evaluating your eye health and discussing a customized treatment plan to provide you the best visual outcome. Please visit rexhamiltonmd.com for more information on Dr. Hamilton, including his full Curriculum Vitae.
Education and Training
University of Virginia Master of Science, Biomedical Engineering 1990
UC Irvine College of Medicine Medical Doctor 1998
Stein Eye Institute, UCLA Ophthalmology Residency 2002
Huntington Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Internship 1999
Minnesota Eye Consultants Cornea/Refractive Surgery Fellowship 2003
Dartmouth College Bachelor of Arts, Physics/Mathematics 1988
American Board of Ophthalmology
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology Stein Eye Institute, UCLA 2003 - 2018
- Director, UCLA Laser Refractive Center Stein Eye Institute, UCLA 2003 - 2018
- Top Doctor 2 America's Best Doctors
- Top Doctor 3 Super Doctors
- Valedictorian of Med Sch class 24 UC Irvine College of Medicine
- Phi Beta Kappa 34 Dartmouth College
- Summa Cum Laude 34 Dartmouth College
- Who's Who Medicine/Healthcare 19 Who's Who Medicine/Healthcare
- Who's Who Science/Engineering 19 Who's Who Science/Engineering
- Top Doctor 4 Castle Connolly
- International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgeons
David Hamilton's Practice location
Request An Appointment With David Hamilton | Ophthalmologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
David Hamilton's reviewsWrite Review
- What are Cataracts: Get the Facts
Cataract is the blurring of the lens part of the eye that can lead to complications in vision. Aging is the cause of the common form of cataract. It grows slowly and should symptoms develop they should not be ignored as this condition worsens with time. Congenital defects, previous eye surgery,...
- What is Keratoconus?
Keratoconus is a non-inflammatory disorder of the eye where the cornea bulges outward like a cone. Thinning and bulging of cornea may result in blurring of vision and make the eye more sensitive to light. This disorder is seen in both the eyes and is common in people from 10-years-old to...
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of Rosacea?
Rosacea is a very common skin condition that frequently affects people aged above 30 years. It produces redness on your cheeks, nose, and forehead. Although it commonly affects women, more severe symptoms occur in males. Approximately 16 million people are affected in the United States alone, and it...
- What Is Tay-Sachs Disease?
IntroductionTay-Sachs disease is a genetic disorder that affects the brain's nerve cells. Individuals who have this disorder lacks a type of protein that is needed to break down fatty substances in the brain. Without this protein, fatty substances accumulate in the brain to toxic levels, which...
- Are Colored Contact Lenses Safe?
Contact lenses are popular for its two most important characteristics: flexibility and convenience. Based on their usage, contact lenses are categorized into two types: vision correcting lenses, and decorative lenses. Decorative lenses are used to improve the look of the eyes. Generally, these...
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of LASIK Eye Surgery?
LASIK, or laser in situ keratomileusis, is a very popular surgical procedure to correct and improve vision, and reduces an individual's dependence on contact lenses and glasses. It is a very common refractive surgical procedure to correct different types of vision issues, including nearsightedness,...
- Dr. D. Michael Colvard M.D.5363 Balboa Blvd Encino CA 91316
- Dr. Jamshyd David Karlin M.D.7301 Medical Center Dr West Hills CA 91307
- Dr. Morgan Huang MD650 W. Duarte Rd Arcadia CA 91007
- Sadiqa K. Stelzner MD1908 Santa Monica Blvd. Santa Monica California 90404
- Dr. Afshin James Khodabakhsh MD416 N Bedford Dr Beverly Hills CA 90210
- Dr. Natalia Tilki D.O.16260 Ventura Boulevard Encino California 91436