Sham J. Persaud, DPM, works at a private practice in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. Also known as Advanced Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, the practice serves Pittsburgh and the greater Pittsburgh area, including McMurray and Washington. Dr. Persaud specializes in treatment of the foot and ankle, including reconstructive foot surgery and athletic injuries. His interest in this field was sparked by his own personal injuries obtained through sports. He has experience treating veterans as well as the Native American population of New Mexico and has been educated all over the country. Over the past few years, Dr. Persaud has been published in various medical journals during his work with the Orthopedic Group of Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania. Prior to this research, he published several papers and conducted several presentations with the West Penn Hospital Foot and Ankle Institute, also in Pittsburgh. He has also worked with the Pittsburgh Pirates MLB team, furthering his passion for the field.
Dr. Sham J. Persaud, DPM's Videos
Education and Training
Rosalind Franklin University DPM 2015
American Board of Podiatric Surgery
Reconstructive Rearfoot / Ankle Surgery (Podiatric Surgery)
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Residency Facilty West Penn Foot and Ankle Residency AHN 2021 - Present
- ACFAS Poster Award Winner 2018 American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Society of Podiatric Surgeons
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- American Podiatric Medical Association, Inc
- The Orthopedic Group
- The Orthopedic Group (Foot and Ankle Surgery) (2019)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Society of Podiatric Surgeons American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons American Podiatric Medical Association, Inc
Teaching and speaking
- Podiatric Volunteer Work/Conferences/Presentations2021 ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference2021 West Penn Lecture Series (Guest Presenter)2020 APMA Summer Series Conference2020 ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference2019 Wright Medical Total Ankle Arthroplasty Course with Dr. W. Hodges Davis2019 GPEF Foot and Ankle Fellowship Meeting (Planner, Host and Presenter)2019 Wright Medical Podiatry Fellows Course2019 Arthrex Podiatry Fellows Course2019 ACFAS Scientific Conference and Poster Presenter x 22019 Stryker Podiatry Fellows Course2018 Integra Cadence Total Ankle Replacement Lab2018 Wright Medical STAR Total Ankle Replacement Lab2018 ACFAS Scientific Conference and Poster Presenter x 32018 ACFAS Scientific Conference and Manuscript Presenter2017 Orthofix Flap and Frame Course with Dr. Edgardo Rodriguez2017 West Penn Alumni Seminar (Attendee and Presenter)2017 ACFAS Scope Course with Dr. Graham Hamilton2017 Mission Trip to El Salvador with Dr. Joe Giovinco (Surgical Volunteer)2017 Arthrex Surgical Arthroscopy Course with Dr. Ryan McMillen2017 GPEF Foot and Ankle Fellowship Meeting2017 Stryker Calcaneal Fracture and AO Internal and External Fixation Technique Course with Dr. Jordan Grossman2017 Orthofix Resident Course with Dr. Noman Siddiqui2017 ACFAS Scientific Conference and Poster Presenter2017 Stryker External Fixation Lab Hoffmann System2017 Smith and Nephew Foundations of Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy, Fusion, and Soft Tissue Reconstruction Course 2016 Orthofix IM Nail and TrueLok Trauma Frame Course2016 Smith and Nephew Thin Wire Foot and Ankle DPM Course2016 Smith and Nephew Advances in Lesser Toe Surgery DPM Course2016 Arthrex Surgical Arthroscopy Course with Dr. Ryan McMillen2015 Stryker External Fixation Lab with Dr. Guido LaPorta2015 AO Course Internal and External Fixation by AONA faculty Dr. Jordan Grossman2015 Arthrex Surgical Arthroscopy Course with Dr. Ryan McMillen2015 Pittsburgh Diabetes Expo (Podiatric Diabetic Foot Examinations)2013 Avon Breast Cancer Walk (Podiatry Tent Medical Volunteer)2013 Midwest Podiatry Conference (Student Participant)2013 ASPS Spring Surgical Seminar (Student Participant)2013 Midwinter Podiatry Conference (Scholl College Student Volunteer)2012 DePaul University Homeless Health Fair (Foot Care Volunteer)2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon (Podiatry Tent Medical Volunteer)2012 Midwest Podiatry Conference (Scholl College Ambassador Representative)2011 Bank of America Chicago Marathon (Podiatry Tent Medical Volunteer)
Areas of research
Please visit link below for CV and publication list:
Dr. Sham J. Persaud, DPM's Practice location
Homestead, PA 15120Get Direction
Pittsburgh, PA 15235Get Direction
Get to know Podiatrist Dr. Sham J. Persaud, who serves patients throughout the State of Pennsylvania.
A knowledgeable podiatrist, Dr. Persaud is affiliated with Allegheny Podiatry Foot & Ankle, working with patients at their offices in the greater Pittsburgh area in both Penn Hills and Homestead, Pennsylvania. He also serves on staff with the Allegheny Health Network podiatry residency.
Allegheny Podiatry Foot & Ankle is a podiatry practice specializing in podiatry surgery, diabetic foot care, and other problems associated with the foot and ankle. Dr. Persaud is well versed in foot and ankle reconstructive surgery and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Pertaining to his educational pursuits, Dr. Persaud earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Saint Leo University in 2010, and received his Master of Science degree from the Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Sciences. He graduated with his Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree from the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in 2015. He went on to complete his residency at the West Penn Foot and Ankle Institute in Pittsburgh, PA, and his fellowship in foot and ankle surgery at The Orthopedic Group under the guidance of Dr. Mark Hofbauer in Belle Vernon, PA..
An expert in his field, the doctor is board-qualified in podiatric surgery and reconstructive rearfoot & ankle surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery, whose mission is to protect and improve the health and welfare of the public by advancing the art and science of foot and ankle surgery.
He is an associate of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA), American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS), American Society of Podiatric Surgeons (ASPS), and a American College of Foot & Ankle Pediatrics (ACFAP).
In good standing with a number of professional organizations, Dr. Persaud is an active member of the American College of Foot and Ankle Orthopedics and Medicine, the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine, and Kappa Tau Epsilon.
Podiatry is a branch of medicine devoted to the study, diagnosis, and medical and surgical treatment of a variety of disorders of the foot, ankle, and lower extremity. A podiatrist, also known as a podiatric physician or a foot and ankle surgeon, is a medical professional devoted to the treatment of disorders of the foot, ankle, and lower extremity. They can treat injuries and complications from ongoing health issues like deformity, sports injuries and diabetes.
Recognized for his dedication to his field, Dr. Persaud has been the recipient of the Dr. Philip R. Brachman Alumni Association Scholarship (2013), Pi Delta National Honor Society (2012), Upsilon Phi Delta Honor Society (2012), Scholl College Student Ambassador (2012), and Scholl Distinguished Scholar Award (2011).
On a more personal note, he attributes his success to hard work and dedication to a team approach to achieve excellent results with his patients. In his free time, he enjoys golf, football, hockey, baseball, and hiking. His favorite place to vacation is Sydney, Australia.
- What It's Like to Live with Type 2 Diabetes
Adapting to a healthier dietA type 2 diabetes patient needs to shift from an unhealthy diet and adapt to a much healthier diet. The recommended diet for type 2 diabetes patients includes three healthy daily meals. A type 2 diabetes patient is at risk of developing cardiovascular problems, so the...
- What Is Sever's Disease: Causes and Treatment
Sever's disease is a type of heel injury that usually occurs in children who are physically active. Most children experience temporary pain without long-term damage. Sever's disease was first described in 1912 by an American doctor named James Warren Sever. The condition is also called calcaneal...
- All About Plantar Warts
How do plantar warts form?Verruca Plantaris is the technical name for plantar warts. What are they? Warts are small benign (non-cancerous) growths on the skin. They typically occur when the skin is infected by a virus. In this case, plantar warts are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). This...
- Diabetes vs. Science: Who’s Winning?
What Is Diabetes?Diabetes is a serious chronic illness that could affect 552 million people by the year 2030, according to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF). A person suffering from diabetes is at a much greater risk of heart attack, kidney damage, or stroke. Therefore, we are now putting...
- What Is Neuropathy?
Disorders that arise due to peripheral nervous system damage are referred to as peripheral neuropathy or simply neuropathy. Peripheral nerves are the nerves that connect the brain and spinal cord to different parts of the body. These nerves innervate different organs of our body, including the skin,...
- What Is a Heel Spur?
A heel spur refers to a small, pointed calcaneus outgrowth from the underside of the heel. The outgrowth may be seen under the heel or at the back of the heel. Both conditions may remain painless, or it can cause pain while pressure is applied to the ball of the foot.Patients may not have any...