Zachary Bein, Psy.D.
Psychologist | Clinical1401 21st Street R Sacramento California, 95811
Dr. Zack Bein is a psychologist in the Dan Brown/David Elliott lineage of clinicians who believe strongly in the “3 pillar” approach to healing relational and attachment difficulty in adults. This method, termed Integrative Attachment Therapy (IAT), involves the use of co-created secure imagery with Ideal Parent Figures (IPF). He also has clinical experience with substance abuse/dependence, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, impulse-control disorders, psychotic disorders, and several personality disorders. His doctoral research was deverloping a mindfulness treatment for post-combat veterans with addiction and posttraumatic symptoms. At the University of California, Berkeley, Zack worked in the schizophrenia lab, examining the relationship between memory, emotions, and negative symptoms in patients with schizophrenia.
Education and Training
University of Cal, Berkeley BA 2010
CSPP Los Angeles MA 2012
CSPP Los Angeles PSY.D. 2013
Zachary Bein, Psy.D.'s Expert Contributions
No Room for a Mind of One’s OwnThe Preoccupied DilemmaIf you or someone you know could benefit from this work, please contact us, as we have both one-on-one treatment, groups and workshops, and even self-paced courses.The Preoccupied Attachment StyleThe first of the insecure attachment styles...
One of the more common questions I get from my clients and students is how to deal with unpleasant emotions and mind states as they arise in meditation and throughout the day. It’s a big question with many right answers. And the answers differ, depending on the context and the client’s...
Often, we are driven by emotion in ways we are not even aware of, especially in a time of crisis like we are in now. So, it’s important to spend some time checking in with our emotional experience. This can be done in a very direct way through meditation. By inviting your emotional life into your...
Some Practical Suggestions for How to Take Care of Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Some Practical Suggestions for How to Take Care of Your Mental Health During the Coronavirus PandemicIn times of crisis, it becomes important to develop and draw on our inner strength. The forced pause on all of our lives has created a paradigm shift that calls for an entirely new set of priorities...
The Integration of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI) and the “Three Pillar” Method of Healing Attachment Disturbances in Adults; via Integrative Attachment Therapy (IAT) Zack Bein, Psy.D.
AbstractThe Adult Attachment Interview (AAI) provides valuable information about the patient’s childhood experiences that were problematic for the development of attachment security. This chapter will review the AAI and illustrate its usefulness to the therapist practicing Integrative Attachment...
The Integration of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI) and the “Three Pillar” Method of Healing Attachment Disturbances in Adults; via Integrative Attachment Therapy (IAT)
The Integration of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI) and the “Three Pillar” Method of Healing Attachment Disturbances in Adults; via Integrative Attachment Therapy (IAT)Zack Bein, Psy.D.AbstractThe Adult Attachment Interview (AAI) findings provide the Integrative Attachment Therapist (IAT)...
Areas of expertise and specialization
- American Psychological Association
- Traditional psychotherapy, Three Pillars therapy, Ideal Parent Figure (IPF), Integrative Attachment Therapy (IAT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Tarzana Treatment Center
- Sovereign Health of California
Professional Society Memberships
- American Psychological Association
- Spirit Rock Mediation Center, Awakening Truth Non-Profit
What do you attribute your success to?
- I have done decades of work on myself, being exposed to what it is like to be "on the other side of the couch," and have been told that I have an easy-to-warm personality, making my patients feel safe right away.
Areas of research
- Adult Attachment Interview (AAI)
- Psy Chi - The International Honors Society in Psychology
Teaching and speaking
- Professional PresentationsThe 2023 Changes in the Three Pillar Model Initially Developed by Brown & Elliott, 2016.Many things are evolving in the field right now. One of those things, for example, is that the original 3rd pillar, enhancing collaborative abilities, will now be the 1st pillar, which used to be Remapping the Internal Working Model using Ideal Parent Figures (IPF). Collaboration is going to be the new 1st pillar because of the decades of research that shows that regardless of the intervention, the factor that accounts for the most variance in change is the quality of the relationship between the patient and the therapist. We are not here to teach a technique. This is a psychotherapeutic model and tool, and should be treated as such.Mindfulness Treatments for the Addiction Process2019 Betty Ford West Los AngelesPresented to clinical staff and patientsAdult Attachment Theory Assessment and Treatment2018 Chicago School of Professional Psychology Los AngelesPresented to clinical staff and studentsA Pilot Study of an 8-Week Mindfulness-Based Treatment for Veterans with PTSD and Substance Abuse2014 Alliant International University Los Angeles Presented to Clinical Staff
Favorite Place to Vacation
Hobbies / Sports
- Jiu Jitsu, making music, working out, being with my fiance
Favorite professional publications
- Co-creating secure attachment imagery toenhance relational healingDavid S. ElliottATTACHMENT: New Directions in Psychotherapy and Relational Psychoanalysis, Vol. 15, June 2021: pp. 3655.
Areas of research
I am writing a chapter in the upcoming sequel to the seminal text, "Clinical Applications of the Adult Attachment Interview" by Miriam and Howard Steele. I will be detailing how AAI findings are to be shared with patients.
Zachary Bein, Psy.D.'s Practice location
Sacramento, California 95811Get Direction
Marina del Rey, CA 90292Get Direction
- What Is Asexual?
What does it mean to be asexual?Asexuality is a label that some people choose to use to define themselves and identify themselves. It pertains to people who experience no or low sexual attraction or desire, regardless of physical capability to do so or of actual sexual activity. Some asexuals do...
- What is Postpartum Depression?
After delivering a child, a mother can succumb to overwhelming emotions of fear and anxiety, which can ultimately lead to her development of depression. Postpartum depression (PPD) is a multitude of depressed emotions in the mother, which develop within four weeks of delivery. Baby blues, which most...
- Steroids for Multiple Sclerosis
What is multiple sclerosis (MS)?Multiple sclerosis is a medical condition that affects the brain and the spinal cord. Some of the early symptoms of this disease include numbness, tingling sensations, blurry vision, and feeling weak. Individuals with MS also report other symptoms such as thinking...
- Health Benefits of Bitter Melon
What is bitter melon?Bitter melon (Momordica charantia), also called as bitter gourd or wild cucumber is a type of plant that belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae. It grows as a vine with a characteristic oblong-shaped, ridged, and warty appearance of its fruit. Bitter melon usually thrives in both...
- What Does a Foot Doctor Do?
What is a foot doctor?A foot doctor, also called a podiatrist, is a medical specialist who helps treat people with foot and ankle disorders. Podiatrists treat patients of all ages and people with other chronic medical conditions like diabetes. Podiatrists go to a podiatric medical school and...
- New App is Helping Lupus Patients Fulfill Gaps in Treatment
It is not a secret that lupus can be one of the most annoying and challenging conditions someone could suffer from. Not only is it a disease that requires constant evaluation for a long period of time in order to be diagnosed, but it is also characterized by its flare, which can even require staying...
- Lindsey Hailston Other1515 S St Sacramento CA 95811
- Dr. John S. Isaacs PHD3550 Watt Avenue Sacramento California 95821
- Sara Elliott AMFT1660 E Roseville Parkway Roseville CA 95661
- Dr. Stancil Joseph lister Hutchinson PSY.D.770 L Street Sacramento CA 95814
- Dr. Sabina Grosse PSY.D.2365 Iron Point Rd Folsom CA 95630
- Dr. Carolee Giaouyen Tran PH.D1330 Q St Sacramento CA 95814