Dr. Mike Y. Chen is a surgeon/scientist at City of Hope National Medical Center. He specializes in complex operations for the removal of brain and spine tumors. His training has included a Masters in ...
Education and Training
Thomas Jefferson University Jefferson Medical College MD
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University 1996
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS- 2013
- Sorafenib inhibits signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling associated with growth arrest and apoptosis of medulloblastomas.
- Sniffing out cancer using the JPL electronic nose: a pilot study of a novel approach to detection and differentiation of brain cancer.
- Therapeutic targeting of melanoma cells using neural stem cells expressing carboxylesterase, a CPT-11 activating enzyme.
- Environmental cues for mesenchymal stem cell fate determination.
- Cancer stem cells can arise from differentiated neoplastic cells.
- HIF-1α potentiates mesenchymal stem cell mediated osteogenesis by coupling to angiogenesis.
- Surface topography can be used to instruct stem cell fate.
- Axial spondylectomy and circumferential reconstruction via a posterior approach.
- Modified lateral extracavitary approach for vertebral column resection and expandable cage reconstruction of thoracic spinal metastases.
- Clinical efficacy of stem cell mediated osteogenesis and bioceramics for bone tissue engineering.
- Progenitor cells: role and usage in bone tissue engineering approaches for spinal fusion.
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C in patients with meningiomas and glioblastoma multiforme.
- Co-evolution of breast-to-brain metastasis and neural progenitor cells.
- Heterogeneous cellular origins for glioma in murine model.
- Neuroanatomy changes with repetitive mild head injury in athletes.
- Therapeutic disruption of the blood brain barrier in metastasis.
- Influence of Hormone Receptor Status on Spinal Metastatic Lesions in Patients with Breast Cancer.
- Convection-enhanced delivery of sorafenib and suppression of tumor progression in a murine model of brain melanoma through the inhibition of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3.
- Astrocyte-induced Reelin expression drives proliferation of Her2 breast cancer metastases.
- Margaret Early Trust Grant. Role of the Chromobox Protein CBX6 in the 2012
- Biomechanical evaluation of dual vertebral cages in the thoracic spin 2012
- Golden Axon Award for Leadership and Dedication. Society for Brain Ma 2012
- Characterizing the progenitor cell subpopulation in cancellous bone.
- Biomechanical assessment of thoracic and lumbar vertebral column reco 2010
- Named by Pasadena Magazine as one of the top neurosurgeons in Los Ang 2009-2013
- Biomechanical assessment of C2 vertebral column reconstruction with b 2010
- 2nd place at 2nd Annual COH Poster Session, Collaboration: Synergy fo
- Pilot Study: Characterizing the progenitor cell subpopulation in canc 2010
- NASA Tech Brief Award for NTR 45433: Use of JPL Electronic Nose for D 2008
- NIH K 2007
- Grant for $500,000. The effect of stat3 inhibitors distributed using 2012
- Crutchfield, Gage and Thomson award for best resident presentation at 2003
- Fellows Award for Research Excellence, National Institutes of Health 1999
- Back Pain
- Pinched Nerve
- Brain Tumor
- Cerebrovascular Disease
- Herniated Disc
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease (ddd)
- MemberAmerican Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Member Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Member The Johns Hopkins Medical & Surgical Association
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS International Brain Mapping and Intra-operative Surgical Planning Society
- Member City of Hope Cancer Center member: Developmental Therapeutics Program
- Member Los Angeles County Medical Association
- Member California Medical Association
- Member American Association for Cancer Research
- Member Society for Neuro-Oncology
- National Institutes of Health
- Research Fellowship, National Institutes of Health, Surgical Neurology Branch 1997
Experience & Accolades
- Assistant Professor 2007 - 2014Section head of malignant brain tumor program, Division of Neurosurgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- Assistant Professor2006 Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery (2006)
Dr. Mike Y Chen M.D.'s Practice location
Duarte, CA 91010Get Direction
ARCADIA, CA 91007Get Direction
Dr. Mike Y Chen M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
- The History of Lobotomy
Lobotomy is now considered an inhumane and obsolete procedure that no one would ever want to be subjected to. However, at the time of its advent, it was not the primitive and brutal surgery we view it as today. In a time where medications to treat psychological and emotional conditions were...
- What Is Oromandibular Dystonia?
Oromandibular DystoniaOromandibular dystonia is a type of focal dystonia. This condition is also called cranial dystonia, in which the face, jaw, or tongue forcefully contracts and becomes difficult to open and close the mouth. Thus, a person's speech and ability to chew are affected. Cranial...
- Recovery After a Laminectomy
Laminectomy is a surgical procedure done for the removal of the lamina, bone spurs, and ligaments that may be putting pressure on your spinal nerves and causing lower back pain. The procedure is said to be one of the most commonly performed back surgeries. Below is a detailed information on what...
- What Are the Treatments for Stroke?
Emergency treatment for stroke is dependent on the type of stroke you're suffering from. Whether it is an ischemic stroke that blocks an artery, or a hemorrhagic stroke that is caused by bleeding of blood vessels around the brain, acting fast is important since every minute counts.Ischemic Stroke:...
- Doctors and Specialists for Patients with Muscular Dystrophy
Everyone is susceptible to Muscular Dystrophy, especially if it runs in your family. This disease involves the diminishing and weakening of muscles. It is also a progressive condition, meaning, it can get worse and worse if left untreated. Hence, health professionals highly recommend that you see...
- Different Types of Physicians Explained
Doctors or physicians are categorized according to different factors including medical specialties and subspecialties. Most doctors specialize in a specific area of medicine. This article provides a summary of the different types of doctors in the medical field. AllergistsAllergists are also...
- Dr. Leslie D. Cahan MD4733 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles CA 90027
- Dr. Ramin Amirnovin MD255 East Bonita Avenue Pomona CA 91767
- Dr. Rahul Jandial M.D., PH.D.5425 Panoramic Ln San Diego CA 92121
- Dr. Igor Fineman M.D.630 S Raymond Ave Pasadena CA 91105
- Dr. Frank L. Acosta M.D.1520 San Pablo St Los Angeles CA 90033
- Dr. Haig V Minassian M.D.8135 Painter Ave Whittier CA 90602