Patient Questions

Dr. Corey Piva is an Expert Contributor on FindaTopDoc. Here are some of their recent answers to patient questions.

Dr. Corey Piva

To use the term "adjustment" to be synonymous with "treatment": First, the chiropractor would understand your history and what led you to their office (i.e., accident, strain certain signs and symptoms). Second, do a physical assessment of the condition with range of motion testing, strength testing, orthopedic testing and, if diagnostically warranted, do an X-ray. If examination leads to the treatment with adjustments, the Chiropractor will traditionally use their hands to target the problem area and surrounding areas to take the pressure off the joint and improve the function of the joint's mobility and make sure surrounding musculature is relaxed and not compressing any nerves, arteries, or veins.

The word "often" can only be defined by you. I believe you can be over adjusted, leading to hypermobility in your joints. That being said, your chiropractor should explain to you why you are being adjusted and the need for the frequency of your visits. You lifestyle plays a role in your treatment, how often you exercise and stretch, and the nature of your employment, whether it is sedentary or labor intensive. I would also substitute the word "bad" for "necessary"!

From your picture, there is a slight difference in the gap between your arm and torso. It is quite possible you may have a minor scoliotic curve. There are two main types of scoliosis a functional curve that can be the result of strained muscles or developing you musculature more on one side than the other. The other type of curve is structural which means that your vertebra bodies developed in such a way that one side of the body of the vertebra has a greater height than the other side causing the spine to curve away. First things first, get examined by a chiropractor and see if an adjustment gets the gap between arm and torso equal and then do stretches to maintain your alignment. If you are an athlete train with good technique both sides of your body to reduce compensations that can cause a functional curve. It is true that if your lower back is more tense on one side, that can lift the pelvis on that side causing a functional curve.

The Chiropractic adjustment can help to relax your joints, tendons, ligaments and muscles which in turn, in my opinion can help in better sleep. Your part following the adjustment is to be shown how to stretch to keep your muscles and tendons relaxed since it is unreasonable to be adjusted every day. A regiment of stretching and breathing techniques can help you to have better sleep. Use the adjustment every so often as I assume you are generally healthy being 16 years of age.

If your wrist is out of place, painful and swollen you should be evaluated by an Orthopedic specialist. A Chiropractor can also evaluate the injury and an x-ray may be needed. Sometimes a stiff and subluxated wrist is referred to as being out of place. Subluxated means the tendons of the wrist may be strained and stiffness and discomfort may result. A Chiropractor can adjust the wrist and corresponding compensating joints such as the elbow and fingers which may offer you some relief. If the injury is not complicated you should be shown some stretching exercises to help of the forearm, wrist and fingers.

Yes, a chiropractor with experience in adjusting extremities can adjust your fingers and take the pressure off those joints!

Two years is a long time to be in pain. I may have to answer your question with more questions. Did they do a Thoracic MRI? How many PT treatments were done? My suggestion is that you visit with a Chiropractor and/or a Neurologist to assess if there is an impingement causing your nerve pain. Given your age, the accident, and length of time being in pain, I would strongly recommend you be assessed by a different specialist.

From your description it is possible you may have torn the Biceps Aponeurosis. This a sheath that helps to keep the Biceps tendon down. If you look in a mirror and contract the biceps and tense the biceps with your arm straight and if the right biceps crease looks elevated, this may be what happened. You can still function, but gently stretch and warm-up before any activity. Without actually examining the injury you should seek out an orthopedic specialist with experience in sports injuries.

After reading your history, I would recommend you see an orthopedic specialist and get an MRI of the foot/ankle/lower leg. They may be able to get entire area in one scan.

As a Chiropractor, I have found that Thermal Laser, Acupuncture and or Ultra-Sound have been successful in treating tendonitis along with adjusting the joint in question. Outside the office, rest from aggravating activities, gentle static stretching and icing the area for no longer than 15 minutes/hour 3-4 times per day in the acute stage have helped to reduce the inflammation in the tendon examined.

There can be numerous causes of ankle pain at night. Sprain/strain of the ankle, Morton's Neuroma, Neuropathy, Vitamin/Mineral deficiency, improper foot wear, Dehydration, Cardiac and Kidney issues to name several deferential possibilities. having consistent ankle pain at night should be assessed right away to rule out anything more serious. To answer your question better, I would need more information specific to your complaint. This is where you should speak to your Doctor and provide them with a history of the complaint, such as the mechanism of injury, your health history, your activity level and diet.

That "clicking thing" is called an Activator. It is a tool some chiropractors use as a non-invasive way of adjusting. These C\chiropractors use a protocol in deciding where to use the Activator on the spine.

In my experience the best natural muscle relaxer is Magnesium. I prefer Magnesium Chelate. Dosage depends on your weight.

Yes, a leg length discrepancy can be corrected. A leg length discrepancy can either be structural or functional. Structural can be from birth, surgery or trauma whereby your anatomy has a change. For this type of discrepancy a heal lift, special orthopedic shoes may help even out your legs. An orthopedic consult should be considered. For a functional leg length discrepancy Chiropractic adjustments, stretching and Physical Therapy can help to relax tendons and ligaments and tight musculature that may drawing the leg upward causing the length discrepancy.

If you are active and stretching and exercising on a regular basis, a full body adjustment every couple of months is a great way to keep your joints and spine maintained.

Rib pain concern can be related to how long you have had the pain, how it started, is the pain referring anywhere else, is there any abdominal pain, do you have trouble breathing, is there any noticeable bruising, do certain motions cause more pain, and location of the pain. All the preceding questions are concerns. If anything sounds similar to something you are experiencing, see your doctor and get evaluated. Often, it can be as simple as getting an adjustment, but it is first most important to rule out anything more serious.

For rib/mid to upper back pain I would suggest seeing your Chiropractor to be assessed and adjusted. That being said, a stretching regiment for your Mid back/Thoracic area is strongly encouraged along with complimenting it with a Chest stretch. I have found that using a door frame to stretch both areas is most convenient.

I believe every Chiropractor has the best interest of their patients at heart and wants to see their health improve and injuries successfully treated. The number of visits for a complaint can vary depending on how the practitioner was trained. That being said, for some complaints, multiple visits may be required for the cumulative effect since a Chiropractor does not use medicine to treat and relies on natural means to treat a complaint at its cause. If you think the number of visits you were prescribed is too many, ask your Chiropractor to explain. In my office, I am educating patients on what they can do outside my office to improve their health and take an active role in managing their complaint, and if they follow my instructions, I should not see them that often. Bottom line, ask questions if things do not make sense to you.

For your Chiropractic appointment you should wear comfortable clothing that is not restrictive.

it really depends on what you are being treated for. If it is a routine adjustment to keep you aligned, your muscles and tendons relaxed, then I would say keep moving and stretching.