Dr. Colon-Rivera studied medicine in Ponce School of Medicine and Health Science in Puerto Rico after he graduated from University of Puerto Rico with a Bachelor degree in Biology and Economy.
During college he worked in a molecular parasitology laboratory under the guidance of Dr. AE Serrano, at UPR Medical Science Campus. The knock-out and over-expression gene construct results, generated by him, have been included in local and international presentations. During this time, he travels to The Netherlands to work with Dr. A. Waters. This opportunity allowed him to contribute to exciting research in Malaria; it also allowed me to gain appreciation for the multicultural work environment. In addition, he worked at the Center for Diseases Control and Prevention in Atlanta GA, assisting in the phenotypic identification of Staphylococcus isolates.
His interest in working with underserved populations and in cross-cultural communication guided me to do research at the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University.
He is the currently an addiction fellow at Yale-New Haven Medical Center after graduating from Boston University Medical Center Psychiatry progran where he was the chief resident. He is the coordinator of "Salud A Flote" a educational radio segment transmitted every other Thursday by Radio Vieques 90.1 FM http://radiovieques.net/
He has participated in over 20 national and international presentations/workshops in topics related to substance use and related disorders, social determinants and mental health and psychosis and related disorder.
Education and Training
MD at Ponce Health Sciences University
Areas of expertise and specialization
- Inpatient, ED, Addiction, Adolescents
Professional Society Memberships
- American Society of Addiction Medicine, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association, Massachusetts Psychiatric Society, American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Articles and Publications
Brief Newspaper Peer Reviewed Articles:
1. Colon-Rivera HA. “Residents Bring APAF’s ‘Typical or Troubled’ Program to Puerto Rico” Psychiatric News, May 31st, 2017
2. Colon-Rivera HA. “The Forgotten Island” Psychiatric News, June 14th, 2016.
3. Colon-Rivera HA. “Our Opioid Epidemic: How Can We Help?” The Official Newsletter of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, Spring 2016, Volume 32, Number 1, Pages 8, 13.
Original, Peer Reviewed Articles:
1. Muvvala S, Colon-Rivera HA, Camenga D. “Medications for Maintenance Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder in Adolescents: A Narrative Review with Recommendations for Clinical Practice and Future Research” J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 2017. Abstract Accepted. Submitting manuscript soon.
2. Daum AM, Colon-Rivera HA, Nykiel S. “Shared Medical Appointments Role in the Opioid Epidemic Era; A Tool for Integration of Care” J Addict Res Ther. 2017, June. Accepted
3. Barmada H, Roberts S, Patil D, Colon-Rivera HA, Chang G. “Perceived stigma and satisfaction with care among veterans receiving methadone maintenance treatment: A pilot study” Addictive Diseases and their Treatment. 2017, June. Accepted
4. Broad KL, Colon-Rivera HA, Haque L. Re: Primary care management of opioid use disorders: Abstinence, methadone, or buprenorphine-naloxone? E-Published, Can Fam Physician. 2017, May 16.
5. Thapa M, Colon-Rivera HA, Taylor M, Greenfield SF, Marienfeld C. “Assuring the Appropriate Care of Pregnant and Newly Delivered Women Addicts” American Psychiatric Society Position Statements, May, 2016.
6. Montenegro R, Colon-Rivera HA. Racial/Ethnic and Sexual/Gender Minority Training Experiences in Psychiatry: Past, Present, and Future Directions to Improving Training Climate, The Am J of Psychiatry Residents Edition, January 2016.
7. Colon-Rivera HA, Daum AM, Nykiel S. The impact of sharing: The use of shared medical appointments to allow providers to increase treatment access for substance use and related disorders. Subst Abus. 2016 Jan-Mar, 37 (1):7-8.
8. Colon-Rivera HA, Oldham MA. The mind with a radio of its own: a case report and review of the literature on the treatment of musical hallucinations. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2014 Mar-Apr, 36 (2):220-4.
9. Colon-Rivera HA, Jimenez-Torres GJ, Lugo F. Evolving story of vitamin D, supplementing vs. implementing new approaches. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2013Jul, 128 (1):99-100.
What do you attribute your success to?
My family. Being self-motivated and pro-active.
Hobbies / Sports
- Performance Cars, Health, Traveling, Business
Favorite professional publications
- APA, JAMA
Hector Colon-Rivera's Practice location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19131Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Hector Colon-Rivera | Psychiatrist | Psychiatry
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Hector Colon-Rivera's reviewsWrite Review
- The Side Effects of Xanax
What Is Xanax?The generic name for Xanax is alprazolam and this is a benzodiazepine. Xanax was first introduced in 1976. This drug has an impact on the unbalanced chemicals in the brain of people who have anxiety. It is therefore prescribed for treating mental health problems which are linked with...
- Understanding Clinical Depression
Clinical depression is a serious medical illness that negatively affects how an individual feels, thinks, and how he or she acts. Depression varies from mild to severe, and in certain instances the individual can experience temporary episodes of sadness.Clinical depression is also known as major...
- What Is Celexa and Is It Safe During Pregnancy?
Anxiety and depression are medical conditions associated with the brain. While the complexities of these conditions are highly intense, in simple language, they are referred to as chemical imbalances in the brain. The most common medications used when it comes to the treatment of depression and...
- Everything You Need to Know About Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapy treatment that involves a direct and practical approach to solving problems. It is short-term and focuses on changing the behavioral and thinking patterns of an individual so as to change the way he or she is feeling. It has proved to be...
- St. John's Wort: Benefits, Uses, Dosage, and Side Effects
St. John's wort is basically a plant which existed only in Europe, but today the plant can be found in USA and also some parts of Canada. The plant has oval-shaped leaves and golden-yellow flowers. The plant is attractive to look at having colorful petals and the colors of the flower are a mixed of...
- Depression in Seniors
What is depression?Depression is a mood disorder that causes an individual to feel sad, lonely, lost, angry, hopeless, or frustrated daily. These severe emotions can interfere with the individual's everyday life. For elders, depression can arise through hard life experiences, like losing a spouse,...
- Dr. Allen Y. Masry M.D.2250 Chapel Ave W Cherry Hill NJ 08002
- Dr. Erlinda Asa Sabili M.D.1 well fleet way media PA 19063
- Paul Jay Fink191 Presidential Boulevard Bala Cynwyd Pennsylvania 19004
- Dr. David Allen Nover M.D.1432 Easton Rd Warrington PA 18976
- Dr. Susanne Inez Steinberg MD3615 Chestnut St Philadelphia PA 19104
- Henri Parens111 Presidential Blvd. Bala Cynwyd Pennsylvania 19004